Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (September 2017)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just to add: Georgia Tech, Iowa State and Michigan all conducted home visits with THT this past weekend

After the Henry verbal to MSU, that really opens up his recruitment.

Still don't think he winds up here, unless we don't get Ayo.

Recruiting if fluid though, so you never know.

If THT, Ayo, and Nolley all 3 want to come, you take all 3. There is no question about that.

Last edited:

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™

Yay!

After the Henry verbal to MSU, that really opens up his recruitment.

Still don't think he winds up here, unless we don't get Ayo.

Recruiting if fluid though, so you never know.

If THT, Ayo, and Nolley all 3 want to come, you take all 3. There is no question about that.

+infinity

I like our chances for one simple reason: we are the best fit for his style of play.

Agreed. But there are a lot of other factors in play.

Deleted member 10676

D
Man that would suck if he went to Muck Fichigan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, it would but the only place I truly dreaded seeing him at was Northwestern. With that threat gone I can breath easier although obviously I'm a charter member of the THT to ILL fan club.

Nobody has told you how you'd feel, they're saying --and having been an Illinois fan for 50+ years, I agree with him --- if Cuonzo had come here and had gotten the same talent he's gotten at Mizzou, regardless of how he got it, the fan base would be over the moon. It would be the same as it is at Columbia. Joy bordering on hysteria. NO fan base thinks their coach is a cheating slimeball. Everybody else's is, but not theirs.

I agree, and Martin has always been a very good recruiter. Not only is he getting talent at Mizzou way above what the status of the school deserves, but he did the same at California as well. The guy is a good recruiter, period. I'd venture to say that if some members of our coaching staff were on Martin's staff, some posters would be using their negative narrative on them as well.

riffraff

Peoria
I agree, and Martin has always been a very good recruiter. Not only is he getting talent at Mizzou way above what the status of the school deserves, but he did the same at California as well. The guy is a good recruiter, period. I'd venture to say that if some members of our coaching staff were on Martin's staff, some posters would be using their negative narrative on them as well.
So like the Ron Zook of basketball?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I am not a big fan of Martin, but I think it is way premature to dismiss him as a sure failure at Mizzou.

Can't argue he shouldn't win. Talent level is there now. Question is, in a few years when the Porters are out of babies, can he still snag top recruits (not to mention his subpar track record even with great talent)?

Carteare Gordon‏
@CarteareGordon

Saint Louis University. HOME ����

He had a picture up late last night on snapchat of an edit of him in a Mizzou jersey, and it was gone this morning...

Very bizarre.

I am not convinced he winds up at SLU. We will just have to wait and see until signing day.

Last edited:

IlliniDent

Chicago, IL
He had a picture up late last night on snapchat of an edit of him in a Mizzou jersey, and it was gone this morning...

Very bizarre.

I am not convinced he winds up at SLU. We will just have to wait and see until signing day.

He could be following the Tilmon method of reassuring a commitment

IMHO, Martin may not be a sure failure AT Mizzou, but he is likely a failure FOR Mizzou. As soon as this new transfer rule goes into place he will leverage all that transferable talent to bounce to a better paying gig. If Martin is at Mizzou two years after the transfer rule change, it will be because his teams aren't good enough to merit consideration elsewhere.

I haven't read all of the transfer rules thread, but the hiring of coaches and assistants is forever after going to be complicated by the athletes that would follow them wherever they go. A guy like Jerrance is going to get his shot over a mid-major coach when he can say 'Hire me and I will jump start things by bringing two guys from Kansas' bench.' Mizzou is currently living by that sword with the players that Martin has delivered, but they will also die by it if he leaves town with his roster.

Deleted member 10676

D
I had forgotten the 'joys' of reading Tigerboard. Although not much different than here or any other board, just so much harder.

Deleted member 8213

D
He could be following the Tilmon method of reassuring a commitment

Perhaps, and it also could be that unlike Underwood, Travis Ford is willing to "try hard enough" to keep him. :noidea:

Deleted member 10676

D
Perhaps, and it also could be that unlike Underwood, Travis Ford is willing to "try hard enough" to keep him. :noidea:

That's Tigerboard's take:
"Also SLU paid him a ton of cash, don't forget that."

Of course OTOH:
"He is a headcase and has a bad attitude therefore it is better that he goes to SLU"

But he'll be sorry:
"…after having to suffer through a season of playing for Ford. That can't be fun for any player that has expectations of success and reaching their potential."

It's interesting that Ayo's, Grandpa, is Dale Moss, who is the founder (1998) and owner of the Harlem Ambassadors. He recently stepped down from running them due to Parkinson's. He has literally been involved in every step of Ayo's development. Wouldn't it be cool to put Manny Jackson and Dale Moss together and talk about the "clown princes of basketball."
The Dosunmu contingent is, as understand, just huge. No way they want Ayo playing in California or North Carolina, but rather good old Illinois. Dale and his wife live in Waukegan and are members of a church in Lake Forest.
My buddy with the Chicago Alumni Association just texted me and said that Ayo will have an OV to C/U in a couple of weeks.

IlliniDent

Chicago, IL
That's Tigerboard's take:
"Also SLU paid him a ton of cash, don't forget that."

Of course OTOH:
"He is a headcase and has a bad attitude therefore it is better that he goes to SLU"

But he'll be sorry:
"…after having to suffer through a season of playing for Ford. That can't be fun for any player that has expectations of success and reaching their potential."

Just great quotes coming from a team with Cuonzo as their coach. Just goes to show you how everyone thinks every team cheats but their own

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
It's interesting that Ayo's, Grandpa, is Dale Moss, who is the founder (1998) and owner of the Harlem Ambassadors. He recently stepped down from running them due to Parkinson's. He has literally been involved in every step of Ayo's development. Wouldn't it be cool to put Manny Jackson and Dale Moss together and talk about the "clown princes of basketball."
The Dosunmu contingent is, as understand, just huge. No way they want Ayo playing in California or North Carolina, but rather good old Illinois. Dale and his wife live in Waukegan and are members of a church in Lake Forest.
My buddy with the Chicago Alumni Association just texted me and said that Ayo will have an OV to C/U in a couple of weeks.

Thank you! So far, so good.

IMHO, Martin may not be a sure failure AT Mizzou, but he is likely a failure FOR Mizzou. As soon as this new transfer rule goes into place he will leverage all that transferable talent to bounce to a better paying gig. If Martin is at Mizzou two years after the transfer rule change, it will be because his teams aren't good enough to merit consideration elsewhere.

I haven't read all of the transfer rules thread, but the hiring of coaches and assistants is forever after going to be complicated by the athletes that would follow them wherever they go. A guy like Jerrance is going to get his shot over a mid-major coach when he can say 'Hire me and I will jump start things by bringing two guys from Kansas' bench.' Mizzou is currently living by that sword with the players that Martin has delivered, but they will also die by it if he leaves town with his roster.

If the premise of his failure for Mizzou is that he leaves Mizzou for a better gig, then that would be similar of Self leaving Illinois for Kansas (i.e., still a very successful period for Illinois). As far as the impact of changing the transfer rule on Martin's career, this is even more premature than declaring him a failure at Mizzou.

Deleted member 8213

D
Does anyone think its meaningful that the Illini don't have more official visits set up at this point? By my count they have hosted 2 so far, Nolley and Castleton, and they have 2 scheduled, Conditt and Sow. I think everyone expects Ayo will announce one at some point. Given the in homes one could guess they would like to get visits from THT and Iggy. Any I missed? That still seems like a short list, aren't you allowed 24 in a 2 year period or something like that?

Here's hoping the brevity of the list indicates confidence in their current targets.

Deleted member 29907

D
I'm happier with BU and his staff than I would be with Cuonzo and all of his early recruiting success. It feels great to have a professional at the helm.

Agree - and didn't he get some of that talent by hiring Dad? I am all for long term AND the ability for that to lead to on court success - not just getting the talent.

HOWEVER, I wouldn't expect my opinion to be what everyone else thinks - so posters who think they speak for all the fans need to stop projecting.

Status
Not open for further replies.