Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (September 2018)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tevo

Wilmette, IL
Need to pull out all the stops.

I laughed just now imagining that there is some recruiting tactic that Underwood could use, but....mm...I don't know, should we use that tactic? Should I use that great speech that I save for only the GREAT recruits? Naa, I think I'll keep that one in the bag. No need to pull out ALL the stops for Liddell...

Tevo

Wilmette, IL
Does anyone know if there will be a certain "workout" at Ubben when these guys are on campus?

Any chance we have a jet leaving Champaign to pick up Deron, Brandon and Meyers to bring them in for some pickup?

JJE

Bethalto, IL
All kidding aside, I hope we stay away from any gimmicky event as the multiple ones we have tried in the past. They have all been failures and Illinois has not been able to get the support.
Agreed. Pack out Ubben and hope the staff is able to close on one or more of them.

UofIChE06

Pittsburgh

Well next weekend has to be the biggest recruiting weekend in at least a decade. Three top 50 recruits on campus at the same time....who do they think they are UK? In all honesty this could go very good or very bad. Either they all feed off of each other and create a positive echo chamber or they feel they are not getting enough attention compared to other visits. There can also be a situation where one just isn't feeling it and the negativity impacts one of the other two. You would hope the staff has a good pulse on the situation or they wouldn't have scheduled like this.

For someone that has watched them more how much overlap is there between Shannon and Liddell? I think they are roughly the same size but Shannon is more and outside-in guy and Liddell is an inside-midrange guy.

POI: Black was rated # 42 and # 7 PF at 6'7" 220#, Liddell 42/7 6'7" 220#. Very similar!

Get them all Coach Underwood! lol

Last edited:
I feel like someone should study some data to try and come up with a rigorous conclusion of whether it's better to schedule these visits with groups of highly ranked uncommitted guys, versus individually, or perhaps with already committed recruits (which just as a hypothesis seems like the best).

Each guy presumably having one of the assistants all to himself makes for an interesting wrinkle here.
Ej’s osu visit was with dj carton and another commit (as per pipers free article I think) and the Illinois visit is with two high ranking recruits. So that is one comparison. Missouri was with McKinney that he wanted to play with most? So we will find out what worked best for ej and then it probably will never be the same for another recruit :)

All kidding aside, I hope we stay away from any gimmicky event as the multiple ones we have tried in the past. They have all been failures and Illinois has not been able to get the support.
I may be wrong #1, but I thought the outdoor bball court a few years ago went well (not the one in Memorial Stadium, the one out on the street).

I may be wrong #2, but weren't those 'events' for midnight madness sort of things. I'd think it against the rules to do such a thing on a recruiting visit for recruits to play.

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
You better believe that Liddell will see what LB was able to do last year, and that's without the guard stable we have now.
He will be a beast in BU's system and Ayo will be B1G FOY with Frazier and Damonte 2nd Team ABT!!

The ball will be MOOOOOOVing!

tenor.gif

Piper alluded to something bigger than Ubben being “open” on Werner’s show recently. I say they put a freaking half court and hoop in the middle of Memorial Stadium at halftime. You mine as well reward those poor souls who are gonna be there to witness that Penn State beat down.
From hints it sounded like State Farm Center, if you can fill it up with Football fans that would be awesome

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
From hints it sounded like State Farm Center, if you can fill it up with Football fans that would be awesome

I'll be surprised if gets half full. Still, 5-7K fans is nothing to sniff at. Sends the WE ARE A BASKETBALL SCHOOL message, loud and clear.

Piper alluded to something bigger than Ubben being “open” on Werner’s show recently. I say they put a freaking half court and hoop in the middle of Memorial Stadium at halftime. You mine as well reward those poor souls who are gonna be there to witness that Penn State beat down.

Honestly, I'd like it if they kept those guys away from the football game aside from some of the pregame activities and maybe the first quarter or half. I can't imagine the atmosphere and fan response/spirit/participation being too encouraging after that. Hopefully the weather is good too.

SFC is newer and shinier than Ubben. If we can pack it full, that would be pretty amazing. Wouldn't hurt if Deron, Meyers and B.Paul were available.

Deleted member 2050

D
Just don't invite Jeremy Piven to MC it again. That was the beginning of the end, IMO.
I remember being really excited for that event, then Piven strolled out in some kind of scarf, talking sht about George Bush. BASKETBALL, WE WERE THERE FOR BASKETBALL.

westms77

Gilbert, AZ
Maybe we should bust out the ol' Louisville recruiting plan ;) I kid I kid

POI: Black was rated # 42 and # 7 PF at 6'7" 220#, Liddell 42/7 6'7" 220#. Very similar!

Black had a very nice game in front of Liddell against Missouri. But I wouldn't say he career was very successful, considering injury, discipline, and foul prone issues. His only year though with BU was much better than the previous ones. He still is not an NBA player and that is what these kids want to see.

I'll be surprised if gets half full. Still, 5-7K fans is nothing to sniff at. Sends the WE ARE A BASKETBALL SCHOOL message, loud and clear.
Why not Huff then? More intimate setting, no way we can't fill that up. Sure its been discussed here before. SFC isn't the only option. Of course, people kinda have to be interested in the event to go... And maybe Huff would be seen as some mid major esque event.

Very exciting weekend. I would probably use SFC, but only allow seating up to some preset row. If crowd is managed and therefore somewhat packed in, the look from the floor and the energy will both be better, imo.

Fingers crossed and wish I could be there.

Status
Not open for further replies.