Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (September 2018)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a dream that Oscar committed to Kentucky before coming to official visit and Shannon committed to Florida state before coming for official visit and that left us with just EJ for the visit. It was a bad dream....a nightmare.

At least EJ wasn't chasing a Billikin into State Farm Center.

I'm surprised he went on a limb like that with that prediction:sneaky:

I guess what I mean is, I sense that Liddell knows what he wants to do and this restructuring of the process is his way of taking it in for a landing.

Does it smack of "let's get those Illini fan internet clicks to build the hype for me" a little bit? Of course. But we'll see.

sacraig

The desert
I guess what I mean is, I sense that Liddell knows what he wants to do and this restructuring of the process is his way of taking it in for a landing.

Does it smack of "let's get those Illini fan internet clicks to build the hype for me" a little bit? Of course. But we'll see.

I'm sorry you have become so cynical over the years (though I understand it). One could also easily read it as "these were my top 3 and I want to get this over with, so let's move up the final visit and make my decision ASAP," which is completely neutral for us. There is an optimistic reading that is possible as well, but that is a bridge too far for me.

t7nich

Central IL
Sturdy on the radio yesterday was saying that the Illinois official visit will be Shannon's last visit. I didn't know that to be the case. Has anybody else seen/heard this?

Sturdy on the radio yesterday was saying that the Illinois official visit will be Shannon's last visit. I didn't know that to be the case. Has anybody else seen/heard this?

I believe he has already officially visited FSU and DePaul, so unless he is serious about UConn (doesn’t seem like he is), us being the last visit makes sense.

So if you could only have one of EJ and Tshiebwe which would it be?

(I assume Shannon would be 3rd just based on positional needs, but feel free to disagree)

(I assume Shannon would be 3rd just based on positional needs, but feel free to disagree)

EJ by a hair just because he's such an ideal fit for what we wanna do in the front court. Oscar with the higher ceiling though IMO.

Tshiebwe and I’m not sure it’s that close for me. Big body at a position of need who is said to have a relentless motor and a 7’4-5” wingspan....if the guy can just stand in the paint with his hands up and prevent 10% of the wide open layups we give up on defense I’d be ecstatic.

Deleted member 17900

D
I get the feeling that it's OSU for EJ and he is giving the two local schools courtesy visits. I guess we'll find out soon enough.

I am pretty sure most recruits don't take visits to other schools when their mind is totally made up where they want to go. So I think there is chance with all of them, but does not mean we will get all of them.

Tshiebwe in a heartbeat. Liddell would be a great get for both on-court and other reasons, but Tshiebwe would be an absolute game-changer in Underwood's system (figuratively and literally).

I remember a typo in some recruit's official offer letter that was posted to Twitter (though I want to say that was a letter from MS State?), but I don't remember there being one in the OV material. I could just be misremembering, though.

The biggest "typo" in recruiting letter history is when Mike Davis would send Mike Conley Jr. letters complimenting him on recently played games and other personal messages only they were addressed to Sherron Collins. That probably didn't help landing one of the few legitimate package deals (Conley and Oden) in recruiting history.

Personally I think Tshiebwe is overranked at this point. No way he's better than Cockburn.

I think EJ is the better basketball player, but I'm torn on a couple other fronts, first that missing on EJ probably means we get to replace Walker, and second that finding someone 85% as good as EJ is probably easier than finding someone 85% as good as Tshiebwe.

I do not have great confidence we'll end up with either though, alas.

I do think we might be in good position for Shannon, who is a nice player, though I wonder if his mess of a shooting motion doesn't make him a bit overranked too.

Not necessarily. Could be 20-80.

70faTq5.gif

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
EJ. As much as we whine and cry about keeping our in state stars home....there should be zero debate on this.
Oscar is 1a.

Status
Not open for further replies.