Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (September 2018)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd think Liddell will announce next week or there was no need to cancel a couple visits and move his Illini visit up.

I don't think it can be underestimated the move up of Liddell's OV coincides with Gill and Henson's HOF induction at the SFC on 9/22. Kendall has stepped forward as the face of Illini BB alums. Gill has quietly played a role in this recruitment.

IlliniDent

Chicago, IL
I think that's probably because nobody really expects him to come here. He'd be just as big and important of a commit as Liddell.
Not sure that’s true, just that he is a lot quieter about his recruitment than most. He is easily one of our biggest recruitments and one of the best possible fits for the team.

IlliniDent

Chicago, IL
I don't think it can be underestimated the move up of Liddell's OV coincides with Gill and Henson's HOF induction at the SFC on 9/22. Kendall has stepped forward as the face of Illini BB alums. Gill has quietly played a role in this recruitment.
Yep, will be a massive weekend with 3 huge recruits on campus. Thinking we get 1/3 but truly hoping for 2/3 this weekend.

I think the fact of the HOF induction of these 2 in particular as well as how much Gill participates in the outings/events may be enough to show Liddell how much of an icon he would become After his playing career ends....I mean Gill played 15 still is in the Big 3 and is somewhat relevant as an ex ILLINI as far as the public eye...not bad for 30 years removed. Can Mizzou offer that kind of legacy to EJ or the others? I dont think so, but bias may in play here.

jmilt7

Waukegan
So I needed something to kill the time until basketball season begins and I decided to go through the list of recruits and see what information I could glean especially concerning committing to Illinois, trimming lists, and any interest in Illinois and vice versa. Took a little while but it is still a month and a half until season begins so now what do I do? I went through the whole list and eliminated recruits who appear to be interested either by taking visits or whatever (Liddell, Walker, Shannon, Jitoboh, Guerrier. Tshiebwe, Timme, Cockburn, not sure about Jacobs. I probably have forgotten someone). Out of 55 scholarship offers (by the way, Duke has 11 scholarship offers for 2019) 12 have already committed (I found a few that had not been recorded, Donovan Williams to Texas, Perry Cowan to Brown, August Mahoney to Yale, and Kadin Shedrick to UVa). 17 have cut their lists down and Illinois is not on any of them. The rest have shown no interest in Illinois except for the ones I list below. For instance, he hasn't narrowed his list but there probably is no way Wiseman is coming to Illinois. There are also a few that I could not find very much information on at all. Now, caveat emptor, I have been doing this in my spare time and it is by no means an exhaustive or comprehensive piece of research. I mainly just looked up players on 24/7Sports and Rivals and checked out various articles that popped up when I googled their names. And it was mentioned somewhere that we are probably entering a very busy stretch of time for commitments so this can change today. The following are the only ones I could find that may still have an interest in Illinois and I am guessing Walker and Payton are the only ones that really have an interest.

Marquise Walker. One CB to Illinois. Offer list isn’t too impressive, DePaul and Illinois Chicago, and Southern U are the other three. I somehow got the impression that he wants to come to Illinois though.
Chris Payton Rivals has three offers, Illiinois, Il. State, and Bradley. Reopened his recruitment after committing to ISU. Visited Illinois last February
Tre Mitchell 3 CBs to Notre Dame but there still seems to be interest in Illinois albeit faint
Christian Braun One CB to Missouri. Illinois is still listed as “warm” on 24/7Sports and a “top interest” on Rivals but he is the brother of Parker Braun who went to Missouri as a walk on rather than Illinois on scholarship

Marquise Walker One CB to Illinois. Offer list isn’t too impressive, DePaul and Illinois Chicago, and Southern U are the other three. I somehow got the impression that he wants to come to Illinois though

Perry Cowan committed to Brown

Nobal Days CBs to Cornell and Marquette. At least 9 offers. Some interest to Wisconsin

James Wiseman Probably no way he is coming to Illinois. Seems to be between Memphis and Kentucky with most CBs giving the edge to Memphis

Malik Hall CBs to Purdue (50%), Michigan State (25%) and Oregon (25%) Cut his list to final 5 of Oklahoma, Oregon, Texas, Michigan State and Purdue.

Isaiah Wong 6 CBs all to Miami/ 14 offers. On Aug. 6 he cut his list to Clemson, Miami, Pittsburgh, UConn and Villanova

Aidan Igiehon On Aug. 28, 2018 cut his list to Louisville, Oregon, St. Johns and Kentucky

Marcus Watson 2 CBs to Georgia Tech. 1 CB to Texas Tech. Watson cut his list of 17 offers down to a Top-10 on Friday, Aug. 3, OkSU, North Carolina State, Oregon, Iowa, Florida,
Virginia Tech, Texas Tech, Georgia, Georgia Tech, and Ole Miss.

Chris Payton According to 24/7 Sports we have not offered. Rivals has three offers us, Il. State, and Bradley. Reopened his recruitment after committing to ISU. Visited Illinois last February

Jalen Lecque N.C. State currently leads in the crystal ball projections. He cut his list to Louisville, Tennessee, North Carolina State, TCU, Oregon, Texas Tech and UCLA

Trendon Watford Crystal Ball Predictions Memphis 67% Alabama 25%

Isaiah Stewart Trimmed his list to six schools in August — Duke, Villanova, Syracuse, Michigan St., Indiana, and Washington. 90 percent of CBs currently predicting Stewart to Duke (the other 10 percent are undecided).

Lester Quinones On May 9th, Quinones stated that, Connecticut, Pittsburgh, Syracuse, Georgetown, St. John’s, Seton Hall, Virginia, Oregon have all been making me a priority. I think Illinois made an offer 12/2017

Jahmius Ramsey Crystal Ball Predictions Texas Tech 67% Louisville 33%. Final 10 Miami, LSU, Virginia Tech, Oregon, Indiana, Florida, Louisville, Memphis, NC State and Texas Tech

Tre Mitchell 3 CBs to Notre Dame but there still seems to be interest in Illinois

Mario McKinney Several CBs to Missouri. Cut his list of schools to Missouri, Iowa State, VCU, Oklahoma State, Auburn, Kansas State and Louisville

Tyson Etienne 1 CB to Oklahoma. I could find no indication of interest in Illinois

Samuell Williamson 6 CBs to Kansas. Williamson is considering Kansas, Texas, Louisville, Oklahoma and Texas Tech

Antavion Collum 3 CBs to Ole Miss. Cut down his list to a top seven featuring Florida, Florida State, Louisville, Missouri, Ole Miss, Georgetown and UNLV

Niven Glover No CBs. Couldn’t find much one way or the other.

August Mahoney committed to Yale

Ismael Massoud Crystal Ball Predictions Auburn 60% Rutgers 40%. The list is Harvard, Auburn, Wake Forest, Georgia Tech and Rutgers

Patrick Williams Crystal Ball Predictions N.C. State 100%. Cuts list to NC State, Virginia Tech, Wake Forest, Maryland, Texas, Clemson, Louisville, Arizona, Florida State and Ohio State

Keion Brooks Cuts list to 10, Illinois is not on the list. CBs seem to be trending to Indiana

Zeke Nnaji Crystal Ball Predictions Kentucky 50% Kansas 40% Wisconsin 10%

Rocket Watts Cuts list to UConn, Florida State, Michigan, Michigan State, Louisville, Missouri, Oregon and Xavier. CBs to Florida (89%) and Michigan State (11%)

Kai Jones Crystal Ball Predictions Stanford 67% Texas 33%

Jalen Hill Crystal Ball Predictions Oklahoma 100% Cuts list to Oklahoma, Florida State, DePaul, TCU, St. John's and UNLV

Damion Baugh One CB to Texas Tech. Trimmed his list to a top 10 which include Texas, LSU, Houston, Auburn, TCU, Ole Miss, Vanderbilt, Miami, Western Kentucky, and Florida.

Donovan Williams Committed to Texas

Balsa Koprivica The 2019 5-star Serbian giant says that "Baylor, Florida State, and Gonzaga have been the main schools involved." I could find no indication that he has any interest in Illinois. UVs to Louisville (twice), Baylor, FSU, Kentucky, Miami (twice) and UCF. OA to Baylor. Said to be ready to release his final list soon.

Chris Ledlum has had HCs from Georgetown, Pittsburgh, Harvard, Seton Hall, Yale, Notre Dame, St.Louis as well as assistants from Wake Forest, Penn St & Stanford. Crystal Ball Predictions Vanderbilt 50% Notre Dame 50%

James Bouknight cuts list down to Virginia Tech, Miami, VCU, Indiana and UConn. Official visits planned to Virginia Tech (Aug. 26-28), Miami (Sept. 7-9) and UConn (Sept. 14-16). CB to UConn

Victor Iwuakor names top 10: Arkansas, Baylor, Florida, Louisville, LSU, Oklahoma, Oregon, Texas A&M, TCU and Texas Tech. CBs to Oklahoma and Arkansa

Kadin Shedrick committed to Univ. of Virginia

Christian Braun One CB to Missouri. Illinois is still listed as “warm” on 24/7Sports and a “top interest” on Rivals but he is the brother of Parker Braun who went to Missouri as a walk on rather than Illinois on scholarship

So I needed something to kill the time until basketball season begins and I decided to go through the list of recruits and see what information I could glean especially concerning committing to Illinois, trimming lists, and any interest in Illinois and vice versa. Took a little while but it is still a month and a half until season begins so now what do I do? I went through the whole list and eliminated recruits who appear to be interested either by taking visits or whatever (Liddell, Walker, Shannon, Jitoboh, Guerrier. Tshiebwe, Timme, Cockburn, not sure about Jacobs. I probably have forgotten someone). Out of 55 scholarship offers (by the way, Duke has 11 scholarship offers for 2019) 12 have already committed (I found a few that had not been recorded, Donovan Williams to Texas, Perry Cowan to Brown, August Mahoney to Yale, and Kadin Shedrick to UVa). 17 have cut their lists down and Illinois is not on any of them. The rest have shown no interest in Illinois except for the ones I list below. For instance, he hasn't narrowed his list but there probably is no way Wiseman is coming to Illinois. There are also a few that I could not find very much information on at all. Now, caveat emptor, I have been doing this in my spare time and it is by no means an exhaustive or comprehensive piece of research. I mainly just looked up players on 24/7Sports and Rivals and checked out various articles that popped up when I googled their names. And it was mentioned somewhere that we are probably entering a very busy stretch of time for commitments so this can change today. The following are the only ones I could find that may still have an interest in Illinois and I am guessing Walker and Payton are the only ones that really have an interest.

Marquise Walker. One CB to Illinois. Offer list isn’t too impressive, DePaul and Illinois Chicago, and Southern U are the other three. I somehow got the impression that he wants to come to Illinois though.
Chris Payton Rivals has three offers, Illiinois, Il. State, and Bradley. Reopened his recruitment after committing to ISU. Visited Illinois last February
Tre Mitchell 3 CBs to Notre Dame but there still seems to be interest in Illinois albeit faint

Marquise Walker One CB to Illinois. Offer list isn’t too impressive, DePaul and Illinois Chicago, and Southern U are the other three. I somehow got the impression that he wants to come to Illinois though

Nobal Days CBs to Cornell and Marquette. At least 9 offers. Some interest to Wisconsin

James Wiseman Probably no way he is coming to Illinois. Seems to be between Memphis and Kentucky with most CBs giving the edge to Memphis

Malik Hall CBs to Purdue (50%), Michigan State (25%) and Oregon (25%) Cut his list to final 5 of Oklahoma, Oregon, Texas, Michigan State and Purdue.

Isaiah Wong 6 CBs all to Miami/ 14 offers. On Aug. 6 he cut his list to Clemson, Miami, Pittsburgh, UConn and Villanova

Aidan Igiehon On Aug. 28, 2018 cut his list to Louisville, Oregon, St. Johns and Kentucky

Marcus Watson 2 CBs to Georgia Tech. 1 CB to Texas Tech. Watson cut his list of 17 offers down to a Top-10 on Friday, Aug. 3, OkSU, North Carolina State, Oregon, Iowa, Florida,

Chris Payton According to 24/7 Sports we have not offered. Rivals has three offers us, Il. State, and Bradley. Reopened his recruitment after committing to ISU. Visited Illinois last February

Jalen Lecque N.C. State currently leads in the crystal ball projections. He cut his list to Louisville, Tennessee, North Carolina State, TCU, Oregon, Texas Tech and UCLA

Isaiah Stewart Trimmed his list to six schools in August — Duke, Villanova, Syracuse, Michigan St., Indiana, and Washington. 90 percent of CBs currently predicting Stewart to Duke (the other 10 percent are undecided).

Lester Quinones On May 9th, Quinones stated that, Connecticut, Pittsburgh, Syracuse, Georgetown, St. John’s, Seton Hall, Virginia, Oregon have all been making me a priority. I think Illinois made an offer 12/2017

Jahmius Ramsey Crystal Ball Predictions Texas Tech 67% Louisville 33%. Final 10 Miami, LSU, Virginia Tech, Oregon, Indiana, Florida, Louisville, Memphis, NC State and Texas Tech

Tre Mitchell 3 CBs to Notre Dame but there still seems to be interest in Illinois

Mario McKinney Several CBs to Missouri. Cut his list of schools to Missouri, Iowa State, VCU, Oklahoma State, Auburn, Kansas State and Louisville

Tyson Etienne 1 CB to Oklahoma. I could find no indication of interest in Illinois

Samuell Williamson 6 CBs to Kansas. Williamson is considering Kansas, Texas, Louisville, Oklahoma and Texas Tech

Antavion Collum 3 CBs to Ole Miss. Cut down his list to a top seven featuring Florida, Florida State, Louisville, Missouri, Ole Miss, Georgetown and UNLV

Ismael Massoud Crystal Ball Predictions Auburn 60% Rutgers 40%. The list is Harvard, Auburn, Wake Forest, Georgia Tech and Rutgers

Patrick Williams Crystal Ball Predictions N.C. State 100%. Cuts list to NC State, Virginia Tech, Wake Forest, Maryland, Texas, Clemson, Louisville, Arizona, Florida State and Ohio State

Keion Brooks Cuts list to 10, Illinois is not on the list. CBs seem to be trending to Indiana

Rocket Watts Cuts list to UConn, Florida State, Michigan, Michigan State, Louisville, Missouri, Oregon and Xavier. CBs to Florida (89%) and Michigan State (11%)

Jalen Hill Crystal Ball Predictions Oklahoma 100% Cuts list to Oklahoma, Florida State, DePaul, TCU, St. John's and UNLV

Damion Baugh One CB to Texas Tech. Trimmed his list to a top 10 which include Texas, LSU, Houston, Auburn, TCU, Ole Miss, Vanderbilt, Miami, Western Kentucky, and Florida.

Balsa Koprivica The 2019 5-star Serbian giant says that "Baylor, Florida State, and Gonzaga have been the main schools involved." I could find no indication that he has any interest in Illinois. UVs to Louisville (twice), Baylor, FSU, Kentucky, Miami (twice) and UCF. OA to Baylor. Said to be ready to release his final list soon.

Chris Ledlum has had HCs from Georgetown, Pittsburgh, Harvard, Seton Hall, Yale, Notre Dame, St.Louis as well as assistants from Wake Forest, Penn St & Stanford. Crystal Ball Predictions Vanderbilt 50% Notre Dame 50%

James Bouknight cuts list down to Virginia Tech, Miami, VCU, Indiana and UConn. Official visits planned to Virginia Tech (Aug. 26-28), Miami (Sept. 7-9) and UConn (Sept. 14-16). CB to UConn

Victor Iwuakor names top 10: Arkansas, Baylor, Florida, Louisville, LSU, Oklahoma, Oregon, Texas A&M, TCU and Texas Tech. CBs to Oklahoma and Arkansa

1537197128542.png

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
My faith in humanity will be restored if we land Liddell.*

Not really, but it would be huge, nevertheless.

sacraig

The desert

giphy.gif

Yep, will be a massive weekend with 3 huge recruits on campus. Thinking we get 1/3 but truly hoping for 2/3 this weekend.
Honestly, if I was closer geographically I would come to CU to watch and cheer at Ubben. This weekend is huge

5. IS KANSAS MAKING A MOVE ON AN IN-STATE WING?

It looks like Kansas could be making a strong move on in state wing Christian Braun
with whom Bill Self completed an in-home visit with on Sunday.

Recently elevated to four-star status after a strong summer, Braun is somebody that Kansas has been spending more time with of late. They had him on campus for an unofficial visit at the end of August and offered, saw him last week and then did yesterday's in home visit. Braun has been to Kansas State officially and has also hosted Bruce Weber and the Wildcats for an in home visit. He currently has visits set with Oklahoma (this weekend) and Illinois(mid October), but the Jayhawks are also planning to have him on campus again for Late Night in the Phog in a few weeks.

The way things are unfolding, it's looking like Kansas may be emerging as the team to beat for Braun.

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals...ve-decision-coming-for-five-star-josiah-james

It looks like Kansas could be making a strong move on in state wing Christian Braun

Recently elevated to four-star status after a strong summer, Braun is somebody that Kansas has been spending more time with of late. They had him on campus for an unofficial visit at the end of August and offered, saw him last week and then did yesterday's in home visit. Braun has been to Kansas State officially and has also hosted Bruce Weber and the Wildcats for an in home visit. He currently has visits set with Oklahoma (this weekend) and Illinois(mid October), but the Jayhawks are also planning to have him on campus again for Late Night in the Phog in a few weeks.

The way things are unfolding, it's looking like Kansas may be emerging as the team to beat for Braun.

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals...ve-decision-coming-for-five-star-josiah-james

More than emerging. He just committed to them minutes ago.

That was quick. Braun just committed to Kansas.

Pretty sure we'd still find new stuff to argue about, or new ways to argue about old stuff...especially faced with the alternative of giving 100% at our respective jobs.

There's always growth plates and "athleticism"...

With Thad Matta coaching the Buckeyes 13 years with a combined coaching in the midwest for 27 years not to forget to mention that his dad Jim is a career Central IL coach / athletic director and Jim and his son Greg both being Eureka grads might be part of that tOSU connection!!
Pretty sure Greg was not a Eureka grad.

Status
Not open for further replies.