Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (September 2018)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Plus he’s almost certainly getting to West Virginia considering they’ve been on him the longest.

I'd expect he will, unless the landscape changes. IF he really wants Kentucky, he will likely wait. Kentucky's top choice at C is James Wiseman (#1 National Player), followed by Vernon Carey (#2 National Player), then Isaiah Stewart (#5) and then Oscar T (#22). Obviously, Memphis is very involved with Wiseman, and Duke and others with the rest of the prospects. So if the dominoes start falling, Oscar may have to pull the trigger accordingly.

Yes, it is goodwill between both sides and it does help the player. At the same time, the practice builds relationships with coaching staff.

But more importantly, the reason of mention in this thread has nothing to do with KU's strategy, but more importantly with the fact that Oscar T will not commit until his OV to Illinois as UK will likely wait to see what (at least) Wiseman does, who is not expected to make a decision until then. At the same time, it also means that a possible commitment to Illinois is not likely for the same reasons even after his visit if he really wants Kentucky (i.e., he will also wait for Wiseman's decision).

Wiseman is on record I believe as saying he will wait until up to spring....so if above applies, it may be a long wait for ILLINI fans...I dont personally think it goes that long for us. I think we have our 2019 class verballed by end of November at the latest, if not much sooner.

Wiseman is on record I believe as saying he will wait until up to spring....so if above applies, it may be a long wait for ILLINI fans...I dont personally think it goes that long for us. I think we have our 2019 class verballed by end of November at the latest, if not much sooner.

I hope as well. Having an entire class by November would mean that we were able to close on some highly regarded prospects, at least with current landscape and no major additions. I definitely not want to go through another Spring scrambling at key positions of need.

Last edited:

BananaShampoo

Captain 'Paign
Phoenix, AZ
If we end up with no one ( that is in the latest group we are after) or just TSJ as are only “get”, will be very disheartening
I feel like there is a 100% chance we get all of the recruits to commit before the end of their visit.

sacraig

The desert
I feel like there is a 100% chance we get all of the recruits to commit before the end of their visit.

giphy.gif

If we end up with no one ( that is in the latest group we are after) or just TSJ as are only “get”, will be very disheartening
Shannon gets overlooked a bit, IMO. Rivals has Liddell as #43 and Shannon as #45. Shannon has moved up 27 spots recently. We should be really excited if we get Shannon. Of course, we all want more.

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
The waiting is the hardest part (and not for the football game). Certainly hope the staff is able to close on Shannon and Liddell. Liddell would be massive. Shannon would be another very athletic wing to add to our mix. The competition between Jones and Shannon will make both better players. Not throwing in the towel with Tshiebwe, but I think that recruitment is going to last awhile. Just hoping for some big time bonding and the program making a great impression.

FWIW, I think Liddell will announce his choice within a week (after his visit). But the closing (if we do it), happens during his OV.

Shannon gets overlooked a bit, IMO. Rivals has Liddell as #43 and Shannon as #45. Shannon has moved up 27 spots recently. We should be really excited if we get Shannon. Of course, we all want more.
If we get Shannon, it becomes even more evident that we'll have one of the best and deepest backcourts in the conference for the near future. You would think that would think between that and Antigua's experience, we would be able to get some top frontcourt players to commit. I don't feel confident about any of the frontcourt players coming this weekend but there's enough depth in this class to still get a quality player or two to fill our needs. We should be thrilled if get Shannon even if we miss out on Liddell and Tshiebwe, but if we don't get a top 150 big or transfer in this class, the class grade will be an F regardless of the quality of the wings.

You have a lot of faith for a coaching staff who just signed a 7 man class, with 6 coming in the spring (and that currently has zero verballed at this point).

SampsonRelpenk

Edwardsville, IL
Somehow I hadn't watched a good tape of TSJ until now. If for no other reason I want this kid because he yells when he dunks. Can't think of anyone we've had since Augustine that did that. Also LOL @1:29.

UofIChE06

Pittsburgh

It is pretty rare for players like OT to wait for spring unless they already wanted to wait. If he plans/planned on making his decision in the fall either UK would have to decide to extend a visit and take a commit or he would go somewhere else. If UK feels they won't close on whoever they have ahead of him on their board that's exactly what they will do.

It's really no different than UI; it is just with a different class of recruit. All coaching staffs need to have a feel for when to cut bait and move on.

Jalen Lecque isn’t considering us but I wrote a piece on why national analysts are dropping him in rankings despite the intangibles. Any and all feedback would be appreciated! Looking forward to doing an Illini class recap!

https://medium.com/p/e05c3c9195ed?source=messageShare-37a69766cd1f-1537399833

Great writing.

As far as the content, I'm not sure how "fixable" someone's shot is, especially if they already have bad habits. It's pretty typical that guys only improve a point or two in their entire college career, although I don't know the statistics around it. Would be interesting to see what coaches say about it too.

My limited experience is that most guys don't know how to practice properly and they get only a little benefit from repetition. A relatively small group practice correctly, and benefit quite a bit. Some guys are even labeled as practice all-stars because they don't know how to simulate moves in practice the way they happen in a game, and become great at practice conditions only.

I once watched a guy warm-up and he looked like an all-star, but who couldn't do much in a game, and was told he's always like that. Subtle things like elevation, release point, and pressure can be half-assed in practice, and result in a completely different player when the lights are on.

Like the article, just some additional thoughts from my wandering mind....

Tevo

Wilmette, IL
Does the Mac Irvin Fire coaching staff teach that shoot-from-the-middle-of-your-chest style? Seems like there are some similarities between Ayo and TSJ's shots, and neither form looks great. (Granted, I haven't seen Ayo shoot since the Wizards in Champaign have been able to work with him. I'm sure it's pure and high now.)

Does the Mac Irvin Fire coaching staff teach that shoot-from-the-middle-of-your-chest style? Seems like there are some similarities between Ayo and TSJ's shots, and neither form looks great. (Granted, I haven't seen Ayo shoot since the Wizards in Champaign have been able to work with him. I'm sure it's pure and high now.)

That comes from kids shooting 3's at a real early age and having to "shotput" it up there due to lack of strength. You are right, hopefully the Illini shot doctors can correct that low and slow release, because that will not work in HM competition.

Last edited:
Great writing.

As far as the content, I'm not sure how "fixable" someone's shot is, especially if they already have bad habits. It's pretty typical that guys only improve a point or two in their entire college career, although I don't know the statistics around it. Would be interesting to see what coaches say about it too.

My limited experience is that most guys don't know how to practice properly and they get only a little benefit from repetition. A relatively small group practice correctly, and benefit quite a bit. Some guys are even labeled as practice all-stars because they don't know how to simulate moves in practice the way they happen in a game, and become great at practice conditions only.

I once watched a guy warm-up and he looked like an all-star, but who couldn't do much in a game, and was told he's always like that. Subtle things like elevation, release point, and pressure can be half-assed in practice, and result in a completely different player when the lights are on.

Like the article, just some additional thoughts from my wandering mind....

I wonder if the poor shooting mechanics is a result of the "AAU effect". Kids play a lot of basketball, but how much time do they spend on fundamentals? Before I watched Shannon's tape, I was expecting much worse in the way of form. It is similar to Ayo's in terms of release point. He does create backspin, so I'd think there is hope on improvement. I guess the great athletes are allowed to get away with poor skills. But, that will eventually come into play as they move up the competition ladder.

Believe Liddell is favoring Missouri, and it would be a big accomplishment if the staff could land his commitment. Someone posted that his dad had put up a tweet about Cuonzo getting players to the NBA, only to take it down minutes later because it was getting too much attention.
One way to read that is that his dad was clearing the deck for a MIZ announcement. A way to boost the bona fides, qualifications and perceived state of the program so that it is apparent that EJ made a great choice, (with an added bonus of helping future recruiting). Also, how many times has a parent ultimately had the final say in where their kid goes--a lot of competition and hoopla in vying for the student's talent, but ultimately the decision was made long before.
Also, probably stories and input EJ has likely gotten from Mark Smith and family, making it an uphill battle. Maybe Tilmon has had some pull. In the end, it is hard to be too optimistic that BU overcomes Cuonzo's repuation as a good recruiter. If he pulls it off, it would be a major get for the program.

Status
Not open for further replies.