Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (September 2018)

Status
Not open for further replies.
#1,076      

Deleted member 380722

D
O'brien tweeted tsj is wearing an illini pullover at fall league today. Jamall walker liked the tweet. Now let's watch people lose their minds.

#1,077      
Here, have a 24/7 recap post, for whatever you think it's worth:

E.J. Liddell
9 CB's given. tOSU with 7, Miznoz with 1, Illinois with 1. Illinois' CB is from Piper. Miznoz's is from Evan Flood, a Wisconsin Guy, cast way back on 9/28/17. Jerry Meyer's CB is for tOSU, cast on 8/10. Most recent CB is Piper's on 9/21.

Oscar Tshiebwe
10 CB's given. WVU with 9 and UK with 1. Illinois with none. UK CB is from Chris Fisher, a UK guy on 9/17, which is also the most recent CB. Jerry Meyer's CB is for WVU, cast on 4/22.

Terrence Shannon Jr.
10 CB's given. Illinois with 7, DePaul with 1 (from an Alec Kinsky 8/12), FSU with 1 (from Jeff Ermann, a Maryland guy 8/20), and 1 Foggy CB (from a DePaul guy 8/20). Jerry Meyer's CB is for Illinois, cast on 9/11. Most recent CB is Illinois from Chris Fisher (UK guy) on 9/19.

Despite Ol' Ward's Ol' Reliable Insider Service™, I don't think we're getting Shannon today. If that were the case, we would be seeing a cascade of CB's being cast by people hoping to get some more 24/7 karma or clicks, or whatever. Should probably point out there was a rash of Illinois CB's on 9/18 and 9/19.

Last edited:
#1,082      
No direct source on Shannon, but I think he commits soon. tOSU still leads for EJ, but had a great visit. Commit coming soon, 10 days maybe. So maybe still time to make up ground
I was hoping to get better news on EJ, but I'm always glad to get your input. Hopefully we can catch up.

#1,083      

GortTheRobot

North Bethesda, Maryland
I feel sort of Dukish or Kentuckyish that a commitment from TSJ is like “okay, that’s great, but what about Liddell?” It’s like Albert Brooks in “Defending Your Life,” telling the BMW dealer that he shouldn’t show that other car when you just bought the one you did. I know, I would and should be grateful for a TSJ commit, and I will, but I want LIddell to sign. Lord have mercy on my greedy soul.

#1,085      

TwoElevenEastDaniel

Cochrane's-Orchid-Tonic
So, are you saying that we should hire a nun?

As much as I loved the Loyola story (on a personal note, my high school is actually the original campus of what is now Loyola University Chicago), exceptions to rules do not disprove rules. Loyola's run was fantastic, but I don't think their path to said run is a blueprint for a power 5 team to emulate. Now the team that knocked them out of the tournament...that's a more replicable model.

#1,086      

CoalCity

St Paul, MN
I feel sort of Dukish or Kentuckyish that a commitment from TSJ is like “okay, that’s great, but what about Liddell?” It’s like Albert Brooks in “Defending Your Life,” telling the BMW dealer that he shouldn’t show that other car when you just bought the one you did. I know, I would and should be grateful for a TSJ commit, and I will, but I want LIddell to sign. Lord have mercy on my greedy soul.

Greed is good.

#1,088      
No direct source on Shannon, but I think he commits soon. tOSU still leads for EJ, but had a great visit. Commit coming soon, 10 days maybe. So maybe still time to make up ground
illinois is a nice place to visit but, yada yada yada

#1,089      

JJE

Bethalto, IL
Everything I’ve heard (Piper, Hendrickson, Burgess) in their radio interviews is that Illinois has been behind Missouri and OSU with Lidell up to this weekend. Mainly, OSU seemingly in the drivers seat. That’s not news to anyone on this board. What I’m curious about and will probably never know is if he chooses someone besides Illinois what was it that he wasn’t comfortable with Illinois. We will see soon I’m sure, but I don’t have a lot of confidence that he picks Illinois.

#1,090      
What I’m curious about and will probably never know is if he chooses someone besides Illinois what was it that he wasn’t comfortable with Illinois.

illinois-png.3504

#1,092      
As dumb as this sounds, I've always had a gut feeling that Illini fans and Mizzou fans fighting over Liddell on Twitter could push him to OSU. It's not a factor at all in his decision I'm sure, but it's still a thought...

#1,094      
It was a beautiful, sunny day in the 70's, the Cubs, Bears and TIGER all won, yet I find myself becoming very depressed!!!!!!!!!
:cautious:

#1,095      
As dumb as this sounds, I've always had a gut feeling that Illini fans and Mizzou fans fighting over Liddell on Twitter could push him to OSU. It's not a factor at all in his decision I'm sure, but it's still a thought...

Other than a few idiotic posts from both sides on twitter, it has been pretty civil with not much fighting. Kind of depressing really, I was expecting a little more. :)

#1,097      

TwoElevenEastDaniel

Cochrane's-Orchid-Tonic
I just read that Markese Jacobs filmed a Nike commercial. Is that legal? I know that Nike didn't pay him, but he's still promoting a product. That sounds like something that would make the amateurism police at the NCAA hose themselves.

#1,098      
Imari Sawyer did the same thing years ago. Believe he was suspended, he was an over-hyped bust.

#1,100      

Tevo

Wilmette, IL
Imari Sawyer did the same thing years ago. Believe he was suspended, he was an over-hyped bust.

Just because there are limited opportunities to tell Imari stories, I have to mention this one. One of the best message board posts I’ve seen was in reference to Imari. Someone had said about him “there’s not enough mustard in the whole world for that hot dog.” And someone else followed up with, “There's no I in “team” but there are TWO in Imari.”

Status
Not open for further replies.