Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (September 2018)

Status
Not open for further replies.
#1,304      

foby

Bonnaroo Land
giphy.gif

That's how you bust a bracket.

#1,309      

sacraig

The desert
Lets just keep going after top Bigs. That’s what we need desperately.

We are. I don't know why you seem to be stuck on this over and over when we seem to be doing that. We still have 2 more (at least) we are actively recruiting.

Flip your record to side B.

#1,313      

JJB

Chicago, IL
Where do we stand with this jitoboh fella?

Lynchpin recruits to watch on that front over the next 10 days are Aidan Igiehon and Omar Payne.

Igiehon visits Louisville (perceived leader) this weekend. If that domino tips, it probably takes LV off the table for Jitoboh and Payne. Payne is also set to visit Ohio State on 10/5, which may or may not happen based on EJ Liddell's supposed 10/1 decision (I believe OSU is out of 'ships). If LV and OSU are off the table for Payne, it may push him to Florida (which takes away another landing spot for Jitobh).

#1,314      
In any case it looks like Shannon is going to take his time with his recruitment now. We'll see what other visits he takes...
He has only one more official available. Looks like Georgetown if he follows through.

#1,317      
Lynchpin recruits to watch on that front over the next 10 days are Aidan Igiehon and Omar Payne.

Igiehon visits Louisville (perceived leader) this weekend. If that domino tips, it probably takes LV off the table for Jitoboh and Payne. Payne is also set to visit Ohio State on 10/5, which may or may not happen based on EJ Liddell's supposed 10/1 decision (I believe OSU is out of 'ships). If LV and OSU are off the table for Payne, it may push him to Florida (which takes away another landing spot for Jitobh).

If I had to guess:
Igiehon to Louisville.

Liddell to Illinois.

Payne to Ohio State.

Jitoboh to Tennessee.

Last edited:
#1,322      
“Illinois” is its current staff, and we don’t have Groce’s staff. IL is just like any other program in this regard (i.e., we aren’t, like, inherently “cursed.”).

We are not inherently cursed, but we do have a bit of a perception problem.

Terrible recent history, graying facilities, a local brand of mockery and embarrassment, and yet for these Extremely Online kids, a mob of crazy, lost-in-the-desert thirsty middle-aged fans obsessed with a golden age that seems recent to them but not to the recruits.

Other schools that have been bad are just selling a simple "let's get it started". Because of twitter we're forced into a more delicate dance. You want to present a consistent message to these kids and you want to package it in a particular way, but when @ChiefForever2005 has such a large voice all the time, that imposes a lot of gravity on the process.

We're not the only program like that, Indiana basketball and Tennessee football come to mind as a similar dynamic. Of course, the difference with those programs is that they could hold an intrasquad thumb-wresting match and 100,000 slack-jawed yokels would come out to see it. Whereas SFC is half empty a lot of the time at this point.

Twitter troll army like a blue blood + Butts-in-seats fan interest like a minnow is a crummy Catch 22 we've caught ourselves in, but there we are.

Status
Not open for further replies.