Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (September 2018)

Status
Not open for further replies.
#1,326      

jmilt7

Waukegan
#1,328      
Keep in mind that some kids actually enjoy the recruiting process. With Shannon just blowing up recently, he didn't get as much attention like other high major recruits and isn't as drained as others his age. It probably feels good and I'm sure he's loving being able to travel, get free stuff, and learn about different programs. I doubt he uses all of them but he doesn't really have anything to lose by taking a couple more visits. Heck, I grew up poor and would have loved to be able to travel, visit high major programs, and be wined and dined a few weekends of the year. I don't know how well off Shannon and his family is but Lincoln Park is over 50% low income so we have to keep in mind other factors in play.

#1,329      
Keep in mind that some kids actually enjoy the recruiting process. With Shannon just blowing up recently, he didn't get as much attention like other high major recruits and isn't as drained as others his age. It probably feels good and I'm sure he's loving being able to travel, get free stuff, and learn about different programs. I doubt he uses all of them but he doesn't really have anything to lose by taking a couple more visits. Heck, I grew up poor and would have loved to be able to travel, visit high major programs, and be wined and dined a few weekends of the year. I don't know how well off Shannon and his family is but Lincoln Park is over 50% low income so we have to keep in mind other factors in play.

If I were a high major recruit, I would absolutely take all my allowable visits.

#1,330      

News to me

#1,335      

TwoElevenEastDaniel

Cochrane's-Orchid-Tonic
It's important to note Lincoln Park High School vs. Lincoln Park the neighborhood. Demographics are completely different.
If I remember correctly, before Cabrini Green was leveled, the kids from Cabrini's neighborhood school was Lincoln Park. At the same time, Lincoln Park High School also had an IB program. It helped lure the academically advanced kids away from nearby Latin and Francis Parker.

#1,337      

BirdDog9048

The Chief Lives
Chicago, IL
If I remember correctly, before Cabrini Green was leveled, the kids from Cabrini's neighborhood school was Lincoln Park. At the same time, Lincoln Park High School also had an IB program. It helped lure the academically advanced kids away from nearby Latin and Francis Parker.
I would guess that those kids would want to go to Walter Payton now.

#1,338      

BirdDog9048

The Chief Lives
Chicago, IL
Was Terrance Shannon and DJ Williams rated about the same ?
Roughly, but they took a very different path to getting there. DJ started very highly ranked and dropped some over his last 2 years in school. Shannon has done the exact opposite.

#1,339      

Deleted member 643761

D
Roughly, but they took a very different path to getting there. DJ started very highly ranked and dropped some over his last 2 years in school. Shannon has done the exact opposite.
Exactly. We've learned that DJs path usually points to mediocrity. Shaw is another like that.

#1,340      

BirdDog9048

The Chief Lives
Chicago, IL
Exactly. We've learned that DJs path usually points to mediocrity. Shaw is another like that.
Shaw is an extreme case of that happening. He was almost immediately a lost cause. I think DJ could thrive with the right coach and system. Unfortunately for us, John Groce was not that coach.

#1,342      
I guess we will find out on DJ as he will actually be eligible to play this year for George Washington. If it was coaching he should completely destroy the A10 league. Then again, with that competition it will be hard to tell even if he does well. But you can bet if he is mediocre (or worse) in this league what the real deal is.

#1,343      
DJ wasn't mediocre. They just didn't play him for some stupid reason.

DJ's career was not unlike HS at Simeon either. Talented player, had flashes of brilliance, but would also disappear. Independent of coaching, he has to find the self-motivation to turn it around and most importantly keep his energy constant throughout a game. I think George Washington is a good landing spot for him, away from high pressure, high expectation environments as Simeon and UI both were. It may be easier for him to find the mental strength and confidence at such environment. It has always been more psychological with DJ than lack of talent.

#1,344      

jmilt7

Waukegan
Do you think Shannon might be waiting for EJ to commit? Especially since EJ’s date is so close. I know we’ve talked about how good players don’t fear competition but we do have a lot of wings, right? So maybe he figures if EJ comes to Illinois that is one too many but if he doesn’t then Shannon may feel more comfortable coming to Illinois

#1,345      
Do you think Shannon might be waiting for EJ to commit? Especially since EJ’s date is so close. I know we’ve talked about how good players don’t fear competition but we do have a lot of wings, right? So maybe he figures if EJ comes to Illinois that is one too many but if he doesn’t then Shannon may feel more comfortable coming to Illinois

My guess is Shannon won't have to worry about EJ being in the mix.

#1,346      
Isn't EJ a 4 and Shannon a 3? I don't think that's a factor for these 2 in particular.

#1,347      

I think the decision will be totally independent and nothing to do with potential fear of competition. Contrary to popular belief even earlier in the recruiting season, I know for a fact that Shannon would have loved to play with Whitney as well. Very close friends and really enjoyed playing together. Just that Whitney to Illinois was not happening.

#1,348      
DJ wasn't mediocre. They just didn't play him for some stupid reason.

Loved DJ's potential, but IMHO had a questionable motor and bb skills didn't match potential. What made MJ so great was that he strived to improve every year and was very competitive. As good as the HS players are the majority have to work extra hard to get to the next level. At the same time wished MJ got more minutes, felt combining him with MHill created opportunities. Groce had a quick trigger when it came to benching DJ, some of that is probably related to missed assignments and practice.

#1,349      
Isn't EJ a 4 and Shannon a 3? I don't think that's a factor for these 2 in particular.

I have watched EJ Liddell multiple times, and he has indeed played more of a 4 role so far in his career. He will be a difference maker in college IMO. But much of his pro career prospects do depend on making a transition to 3 and proving to scouts that he is a SF at the next level.

#1,350      
I have watched EJ Liddell multiple times, and he has indeed played more of a 4 role so far in his career. He will be a difference maker in college IMO. But much of his pro career prospects do depend on making a transition to 3 and proving to scouts that he is a SF at the next level.

That's not really the way the NBA is anymore.

They will want EJ to show 3-like offensive ability in terms of ballhandling and shooting, but the ability to guard 4's as well as wing players.

It used to be that guys played up the lineup as they transitioned to the NBA, now its pretty stable and if anything they move down.

But in any event, defensive versatility and shooting are the currency, that stuff is more important than "position". You are what you can guard.

Status
Not open for further replies.