Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (September 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The St. Louis American is in a way the printed mouthpiece of the African American community in the St. Louis Metro Area - at least that's my impression. The writer of the article is an ESL resident and coaches hoops in that community. I suspect that if Martin were coaching the Illini, he'd be an Illini fan. His words might reflect an attitude in the local African American community, maybe not.

Anyway, it's out there, read or not read if you like, make what you want of it.

ILL in IA

Iowa City
I won't give him a pass on this, but there is so much inflating of just how great a player is during the recruiting process, it's hard to adjust when the criticism hits them after they have signed the LOI, and performance is demanded from them in games/practice.

Is this the Mizzou equivalent of Writing Illini? Why did you tempt me into clicking this? Also, you have a strange definition of "insight."

“MIGHT provide some insight” - read all the words

Now I'm imagining Mark Smith walking around speaking in third person and referring to himself as "Mr. Basketball."

"Mr. Basketball doesn't run on treadmills. Mr. Basketball has better things to do. Just wait until Mr. Basketball tells his dad about this!"

Man, you can't make this stuff up. Glad he's not on our team. We want guys that will give everything they've got and more, leaders like Ayo and Giorgi, among others.

Well when you have kids scheduled for a visit or wanting to visit but the head coach hasn't talked to them one time its a problem...

How is it a problem if the kids are either visiting or wanting to schedule a visit? I could see where it might turn someone off and they'd say go fly I'm not coming there, but how is it turning these kids off if they are either visiting or want to visit?

pruman91

Paducah, Ky
article date of december 2017......What the smith family is doing is so petty and unwarranted...Clownzo is such a big part of this and follows his past history with the Illini...I'm soooooooooo glad that Clownzo is NOT our coach and Mr. Mark (charmin ) Smith is not an Illini anymore...
IDKWCMI (i dont know who clownzo martin is)
IDKWTSFI (i dont know who the smith family is)

Now I'm imagining Mark Smith walking around speaking in third person and referring to himself as "Mr. Basketball."

"Mr. Basketball doesn't run on treadmills. Mr. Basketball has better things to do. Just wait until Mr. Basketball tells his dad about this!"

jimmy07.JPG

Mr. Basketball doesn't like misunderstandings.

Deleted member 500209

D
Man, you can't make this stuff up. Glad he's not on our team. We want guys that will give everything they've got and more, leaders like Ayo and Giorgi, among others.
Agree with this. This year’s team is one of my favorites for which to root. Other than Kipper’s fractional efforts, this team has potential and I think will reach their potential....Hopefully without too many things embarrassing episodes on or off the court (admittedly hypocritical ask of me).

Doesn't seem Counzo's recruiting has been anything great either. Wouldn't trade our roster for theirs.

Many would have before we knew what we have now though....remember Tilmon, Smith, Pickett were all being clamored about by many on here and others as well. Hindsight being what it is and all, I think we are in much better shape as well overall. Tilmon is a good player, not quite sure if he is all that he was advertised to be...to be fair many are not however. Smith....well we all know. Pickett seems to be a overall good player and exactly what he was advertised and ranked out to be so far....I like our ILLINI as you do though.

How is it a problem if the kids are either visiting or wanting to schedule a visit? I could see where it might turn someone off and they'd say go fly I'm not coming there, but how is it turning these kids off if they are either visiting or want to visit?
How is a kid supposed to think Illinois is seriously interested in them if the head coach hasn't even contacted them.

Is that a serious question? The kid is coming on an OV, but doesn't know we're serious about him? GMAB. Get an OV = serious. Refused an OV = not serious, unless you are really local and they want you on an unofficial visit. This ain't rocket science.
I'm with you on this one..In HS i got calls every Saturday from members of the football staffs that were recruiting me checking to see how Friday's game went and just bc it wasn't the head coach didnt mean i didn't know they were serious about me wanting to play ball for them..

Getting recruits to visit is one thing. Finishing the deal is another. I’m sure most coaches don’t relate well to every recruit, but I would think nailing down the big ones would require a real connection between player and head coach.

Deleted member 654622

D
I knew when i asked 0440 a question the response i would get, but i welcome it i'm not that delicate. There was no negativity in the question. I questioned his sources which is perfectly acceptable. Yes, EYE OF ILLINI he said there were people scattered throughout the athletic that he knew. He said that TODAY , not when i posed the questioned , yesterday. And your right when 0440 asked a previous poster "how he knew this" the poster was also not required to answer as you say.
0440 i didn't question your track record or imply you said anything negative, i asked a question of you. Nothing negative or personal in my comments. If you and others can't take a simple question we're getting too sensitive.
TO THE TREADMILL WITH YOU!

Illwinsagain

Cary, IL
Recently, there have been articles speaking of Coach K going to visit a couple of our recruits. If Coach K can do it....

Deleted member 533939

D
I asked that because I actually know that Jamall locked down recruits and his role in those recruitments. I think I have a pretty good track record for my info and I think a lot of people on here will back me up on that. I’m not going to reveal exactly where I get my info from but I know a lot of people scattered throughout the athletic department.
Saying Walker hasn't locked down any recruits is an exaggeration, but he has struck out on many recruits, and I honestly can't remember the last time he locked one in.

Get an OV = serious.
You can say that, and it sounds right, but can't I just as easily say "the head coach has never spoken to you = not serious"? Doesn't that sound right too? OVs, as we are all now very aware, are pretty limited. I don't think it's much of an ask that the head coach have spoken with the players before they arrive on campus.

Is that a serious question? The kid is coming on an OV, but doesn't know we're serious about him? GMAB. Get an OV = serious. Refused an OV = not serious, unless you are really local and they want you on an unofficial visit. This ain't rocket science.

C'mon dude stop and think. You're a recruit and you have 5 OV's scheduled, but only 4 head coaches have talked to you. You're going to believe that head coach that hasn't said a word to you is just as serious as the other 4?

Status
Not open for further replies.