Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (September 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
How is a kid supposed to think Illinois is seriously interested in them if the head coach hasn't even contacted them.

Are you saying that our Asst. coaches are making the contacts (with players) for the head coach....or are you saying the Asst. coaches are making these contacts on their own and then telling the HC, hey we have this player interested in coming for a visit???

Are you saying that our Asst. coaches are making the contacts (with players) for the head coach....or are you saying the Asst. coaches are making these contacts on their own and then telling the HC, hey we have this player interested in coming for a visit???
I’m saying that normally after the Asst. gets a relationship w/ the kid the head coach normally piggybacks off of that. BU lacks that second part in some of the recruitments. He’s very good with a couple recruits but slacks with others.

I knew when i asked 0440 a question the response i would get, but i welcome it i'm not that delicate. There was no negativity in the question. I questioned his sources which is perfectly acceptable. Yes, EYE OF ILLINI he said there were people scattered throughout the athletic that he knew. He said that TODAY , not when i posed the questioned , yesterday. And your right when 0440 asked a previous poster "how he knew this" the poster was also not required to answer as you say.
0440 i didn't question your track record or imply you said anything negative, i asked a question of you. Nothing negative or personal in my comments. If you and others can't take a simple question we're getting too sensitive.
I had no problem with what you asked. And my response wasn’t meant to come off as defensive or brash.

What if I told you it wasn’t just OA who locked up Kofi...... was

I’d believe that any recruit would be at least partially swayed by all the coaching staff. Are you saying there was a more personal relationship with Kofi?

WiscIllini

Madison, WI
There's a huge difference between "not being good at it" and making no contact at all. I can accept "not being as good at it". There is no way this program can prosper if the head coach makes zero contact with potential recruits.

This is my confusion. Is he neglecting a couple of guys for some unknown reason, or is he literally not talking to potential recruits....at all?

Well 0440 said he "slacks with some", so it sounds like he either doesn't actually like some of the recruits the assistants talk with, or he just simply doesn't like that aspect of the job enough to give it his full effort. So while it's pretty astonishing if true, it's not very hard to understand. And I wonder if now that Walker has been told to take a backseat, that exposes Brad's weakness as a recruiter even further. We don't have someone to grease the wheels anymore.

Grasping at straws, but hopefully there's some kind of strategy involved. Like recruit preference 1 learns that BU didn't contact recruit preference 2, so that when #1 gets contacted directly he's so wowed that it closes the commitment. Just hoping there's some kind of masterminded thinking behind it so I don't have to chase Brad down and give him a Noogie.

Deleted member 16068

D
Well 0440 said he "slacks with some", so it sounds like he either doesn't actually like some of the recruits the assistants talk with, or he just simply doesn't like that aspect of the job enough to give it his full effort. So while it's pretty astonishing if true, it's not very hard to understand. And I wonder if now that Walker has been told to take a backseat, that exposes Brad's weakness as a recruiter even further. We don't have someone to grease the wheels anymore.

If BU is slacking in making connections with "some" recruits then he should be fired.
I respect 4040 as a poster on this board but call me skeptical. A head coach of a major university who is trying to build his program is "slacking" in making connections with "some" recruits???? IDK.

Curious as to people's evaluations of Hawkins vs Kalkbrenner. From just reading articles it would seem Hawkins is a better fit. It would seem to me that BU would favor PF types as long as they can play defense against a center. Wondered if Kalkbrenner didn't see much of a role at UI with their present roster. (Both need to beef up to play in the BIG).

Curious as to people's evaluations of Hawkins vs Kalkbrenner. From just reading articles it would seem Hawkins is a better fit. It would seem to me that BU would favor PF types as long as they can play defense against a center. Wondered if Kalkbrenner didn't see much of a role at UI with their present roster. (Both need to beef up to play in the BIG).

From video of both, and articles written about play, one is offensive, and the other is defensive. Athleticism seems about the same, maybe more towards Hawkins...if so, then take the length and offense, teach defense and bulk up, since Kofi is here and will still be here. Hawkins is such a better fit imo than Kalkbrenner who still is a pretty damn good player. Purdue I think ends up with Kalkbrenner, then we can see them go against each other possibly.

The assistants are normally the kids first contact and develop the relationship....then the head coach comes in and works with the assistant to build off what was already there......sometimes BU is good at that and sometimes he isn't.

Well with the 1st/2nd/3rd explanation I think the phrase "I can explain it for you....I can't understand it for you" may apply here?(y):p

I would suggest (not as an excuse) that it's difficult to have three recruiting assistants all bringing in kids that are higher or lower
on your pecking order and assistants you may have different relationships with perhaps pushing for his kid. Who do you spend
more or less time with?, Who do you like better?, Which region of the country, HS or AAU coach do you need to take a kid from?
We can guess about which of these has already been an issue. A particular assistant could feel slighted. Just a possible scenario.

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
Let me try and clarify this "understanding" thing. I understand that two different things have been said about BU here.

1. BU hasn't spoken...AT ALL....to recruits during the process. This was the first take I got from 0440.

This has morphed into...

2. BU is not connecting with some recruits as well as with others.

Now, perhaps, whoever the contacts are that are concerned about this enough to share with 0440....either they aren't being clear...or it's lost in translation.

So....

#1 is unacceptable

#2 is understandable

pruman91

Paducah, Ky
the path this thread has taken is a bunch of " meh "...I don't care who talks or tweets or texts or send's an email....Just get the right recruits for the Illini program and coach the hell out of them and get back to the NCAA tourney every year....Start winning and dancing and the recruits will be lining up to play for the Illini, with us back in the top 25 ...

Moving-animated-picture-of-spaced-out-guy.gif

The Illini " It's full of stars """......wowsy

Without knowing any details, it's quite possible that some of this is timing. If an assistant handles much of the initial contact, it may be that BU is waiting in the wings until they reach some threshold of mutual interest. If it doesn't progress to that point, then it may look worse than it is.

I'm not defending anyone here --I'm as concerned as anyone about our ability to close out recruitments. Sure hope we don't have as many misses this year. "Priority target" doesn't mean much if you whiff on dozens of them.

Let me try and clarify this "understanding" thing. I understand that two different things have been said about BU here.

1. BU hasn't spoken...AT ALL....to recruits during the process. This was the first take I got from 0440.

This has morphed into...

2. BU is not connecting with some recruits as well as with others.

Now, perhaps, whoever the contacts are that are concerned about this enough to share with 0440....either they aren't being clear...or it's lost in translation.

So....

#1 is unacceptable

#2 is understandable

Here is the 1st thing 0440 said on this topic:

"Recruits....and I will say BU needs to be a little more active in talking to some recruits." Then he said he hadn't talked to some recruits AT ALL, which seems unlikely when he's going to many AAU games during contact periods, but I'm no insider.

Status
Not open for further replies.