Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (September 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dbell1981

Decatur, IL
It's money. Who cares? The NCAA is so corrupt it's silly even mentioning it! Billions....with a "B"....are made off of them. If these kids and their families get a little pizza money from a grey area....so be it.

I've heard enough of the arguments and I used to be of the moral mindset with regards to this as well, but some money to the kids doesn't bother me one whit.
As Gritty mentioned, no academic cheating and crimes not tolerated, but pay the game.
Pizza money, LMAO..... These kids want cash to flaunt. 200$ jeans and jerseys. Trust me, I have a 20 year old son.

I think it's absolutely absurd to imply that there is no line between payments and violence/academic fraud just because the NCAA considers them all to be violations. Of course, do they really consider academic fraud to be a violation? In name only.

Yes...allowing the ncaa to determine what is ethically right or wrong....is like the fox guarding the hen house

It seems major advertising markets would be advantaged and schools in farm country disadvantaged if we start letting them sell themselves. It also seems more popular teams would likely stay in power, like today, and it would be more difficult to climb up. I am of the camp, if they change the rules fine, but follow the rules.

ChiefGritty

Chicago, IL
Fair or not fair, I am interested in everyone's opinions regarding the possibility of players being able to sell their likeness in the coming futures, as it pertains to IL and recruiting. Would IL be hurt or helped by this? How does the boosters of Champaign stack up against other college towns we are competing against? If they can sell their likeness, does that mean they can be in shoe commercials now? If they could, would that just drive more kids to the blue bloods? Do shoe companies start laundering money to local businesses so they can pay a player X amount of dollars to sign autographs at Papa Dells? How about on official visits, we show players that every off season, X amount of business owning alums up in Chicago bring in all the top players on the team and pay them to do some commercials for their business, usually resulting in an average of X amount of dollars every year. Not to mention all the "GREY AREA" activities that happen while you are up there.

Damn that escalated quickly...Would it help IL or hurt us overall?

I think it would largely re-create the existing power structure. Illinois would have much more ability to compete than Penn State or DePaul or Western Kentucky or whoever, but would have less ability to compete than the blue bloods. Same as it ever was.

The difference would be that more of the sport's revenue would go toward the people that most deserve it, which is why I would consider it a very positive outcome.

The two biggest things that could happen to cut down the distance between the blue bloods and the Illinois' of the world would be letting high school kids back into the NBA and reducing the number of scholarships. Reduce the power of the rosters at the top of the food chain from both the supply and demand side.

As an All-American athlete in two different sports, I have strong feelings on any suggestion to do any "gray area" recruiting for any reason. Institutions of higher learning have absolutely, unequivocally, no charge to teach young athletes that cheating is OK. The idea is a complete non-starter. I am not a U of I alum, but though living in another state for decades, I am an Illinois taxpayer and have been a U of I basketball fanatic for 65 years. But I want to see it done without cheating. I am also quite ashamed that my alma mater has allowed their current coach to circumvent running a clean program. There is no good reason....categorically none....to cheat in running collegiate athletic programs.

What I personally suggest, is that any program caught cheating or in intentional rules violations be suspended for a period of three years while allowing athletes to maintain scholarships, if they choose, but not competing (another version of a fine for the school). More importantly, as in football and baseball, basketball players become ineligible for the NBA draft for a period of 3 years when signing a letter of intent. I don't care if Zion Williamson plays one farce season at Duke. The one and dones have no business engaging in the charade of collegiate athletics. Kids who do choose to spend three years getting and education will graduate at a higher rate and still compete on national TV for championships in front of sellout crowds. The one and dones, for me, add NOTHING to the collegiate game.

I certainly do not expect this to happen as it requires coaches and administrators who are getting paid over or under the table to agree to take huge pay cuts...even illegal ones that put the future of their careers and their families in jeopardy. Their moral integrity is simply too low....which has resulted in the current mess that is so obvious. Sadly, I have no answer as to whether or not there exist a person or persons of the required strengths of character and morality to lead and return the landscape of collegiate basketball and football to a level of integrity I and others expect from our institutions of higher education. Sad indeed...but fact.

RedRocksIllini

Morrison, CO
As an All-American athlete in two different sports, I have strong feelings on any suggestion to do any "gray area" recruiting for any reason. Institutions of higher learning have absolutely, unequivocally, no charge to teach young athletes that cheating is OK. The idea is a complete non-starter. I am not a U of I alum, but though living in another state for decades, I am an Illinois taxpayer and have been a U of I basketball fanatic for 65 years. But I want to see it done without cheating. I am also quite ashamed that my alma mater has allowed their current coach to circumvent running a clean program. There is no good reason....categorically none....to cheat in running collegiate athletic programs.

What I personally suggest, is that any program caught cheating or in intentional rules violations be suspended for a period of three years while allowing athletes to maintain scholarships, if they choose, but not competing (another version of a fine for the school). More importantly, as in football and baseball, basketball players become ineligible for the NBA draft for a period of 3 years when signing a letter of intent. I don't care if Zion Williamson plays one farce season at Duke. The one and dones have no business engaging in the charade of collegiate athletics. Kids who do choose to spend three years getting and education will graduate at a higher rate and still compete on national TV for championships in front of sellout crowds. The one and dones, for me, add NOTHING to the collegiate game.

I certainly do not expect this to happen as it requires coaches and administrators who are getting paid over or under the table to agree to take huge pay cuts...even illegal ones that put the future of their careers and their families in jeopardy. Their moral integrity is simply too low....which has resulted in the current mess that is so obvious. Sadly, I have no answer as to whether or not there exist a person or persons of the required strengths of character and morality to lead and return the landscape of collegiate basketball and football to a level of integrity I and others expect from our institutions of higher education. Sad indeed...but fact.
You'll probably get a lot of blow back on this but I generally agree with you. Personally, I would prefer going one step further and have institutions of higher learning get out of the business of sports altogether. No paid coaches, no scholarships, no TV contracts, no nothing. But that would be like pulling a hog away from the slop bucket. Not gonna happen.

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
The moral high ground is fine if you want to change the game. That's the problem, the game isn't changing. The NCAA is corrupt and makes billions of dollars on college athletes that will never profit from their participation other than a public college education. Peanuts fed to the most important elephants in the circus.

Only 1% get a chance....just a chance...to cash in in the NBA or NFL. Another small percentage makes a living overseas. This isn't about morals and "cheating"...it's about money. Period. Give them some. It's entertainment.

The moral high ground is fine if you want to change the game. That's the problem, the game isn't changing. The NCAA is corrupt and makes billions of dollars on college athletes that will never profit from their participation other than a public college education. Peanuts fed to the most important elephants in the circus.

Only 1% get a chance....just a chance...to cash in in the NBA or NFL. Another small percentage makes a living overseas. This isn't about morals and "cheating"...it's about money. Period. Give them some. It's entertainment.
I am wondering... If a college bb player can participate in 120 games (approx) during their four year matriculation, and the overall value of their education / housing / perks etc. is approximately 120K then they are being "paid" around $1000 per game... is this close to being accurate??

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
I am wondering... If a college bb player can participate in 120 games (approx) during their four year matriculation, and the overall value of their education / housing / perks etc. is approximately 120K then they are being "paid" around $1000 per game... is this close to being accurate??

8UGB4M.gif

illini80

Forgottonia
Just wondering out loud where all this extra money to pay athletes what they “deserve” would come from? I doubt there is a large pool of surplus donor money that is just waiting to be asked for. Increased ticket prices? I would assume that the ticket prices being charged is what the market will bear already. Tough to imagine video revenue could grow fast enough to cover it. I just don’t see how this all plays out except for the few at the top of the food chain.

Status
Not open for further replies.