Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (September 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Illwinsagain

Cary, IL
The optimism some Illini fans maintain is impressive, because IL has been Murphy’s Law when it comes to revenue sports basically since the Rose Bowl appearance. I’m probably too far the other way (expecting the worst outcome) due to years of conditioning. I applaud those who can stay optimistic in the face of all that we’ve endured in the last decade plus.
I tend to try to stay optimistic, but not nearly as vested, I take losses better and bail on a loss much easier.

My gut tells me that if we are up against one of “the big boys” this year, it’s going to difficult to win any recruiting battle. Hope I’m wrong.

Scrubb is likely going to head to the NBA if he has a good year and won't even wind up at Louisville.

NBA scouts have already been keeping tabs on him. (Pacers, Kings, Lakers, Mavericks, Heat)
While NBA seems a possibility, the if he has a good year part could certainly give another guard pause if they had immediate playing time ambitions and Scubb's draft ambitions likely won't play out fully until most 2020 recruits have signed.

jmilt7

Waukegan
Unfortunately, this is apparently not true. No offense to alamocity as this turned out to be confusing. I discovered this in my meanderings through the interweb, "On Wednesday, Gigiberia tweeted out a graphic that included TCU, Boise State, USC, Georgia Tech and Illinois. The headline of this tweet read something like this is just the beginning, let the season start. Usually when a player tweets out five teams, it ends up being his top list. That isn't the case in this situation though. Gigiberia made it known that this was not his top five."

My own take on this is that the five schools he mentions are just "the beginning" with more to come.

https://twitter.com/GigiberiaSaba

When is the last time (if ever) that we beat out Oregon for a bball recruit?

I don't think we ever have...Their "cool" factor is pretty difficult to surmount, but the real competition here for him is actually Miami from what I have read.

hooraybeer

Pittsburgh, PA
So KKR OV 10/11 and Andre the week after. Delicate! We might not want BU speaking with these recruits!

If KKR or Andre want to commit on his visit do we take it? or do we hold out for higher ranked instate recruit?

:)

If KKR or Andre want to commit on his visit do we take it? or do we hold out for higher ranked instate recruit?

I think if KKR and Andre Curbelo both want to commit on their visits we take them both, even if it means we miss on Miller. That would make our 2020 Recruiting class Coleman Hawkins (208), KKR (72), and Andre Curbelo (55) while filling our positions of greatest need.

Our 2020 Starting Line-up would be something like:
1. Andre Curbelo / KK Robinson
2. Trent Frazier
3. Tevian Jones / Alan Griffin
4. Giorgi Bezhanishivili
5. Kofi Cockburn

For Depth we would have:
- 1 Defensive minded Senior off the bench (Williams)
- 4 possible primary ball handlers (Curbelo, KKR, Frazier, and Hutcherson)
- 6 possible 3 point threats (Frazier, Griffin, Jones, BBV, Hutcherson, and Grandison)
- 5 bigs (Giorgi, Kofi, BBV, Hawkins, and Hamlin)

That's a roster I would have faith in being better than our 2019-20 roster. It also only has Williams and Frazier leaving for the 2021 season and that production could be replaced with the addition Max Christie and Charles Bediako in the class of 2021.

You take the first commitment offered by either or both. Higher ranked instate recruits already had their visit, thus had a chance to offer up their own commitment before we even got to this point.

Take both.

Only because I am not too confident that Miller is a done deal. IF (I am speculating here) that is true, then it is no use waiting on someone who may opt out for his benefit (which is fine). We need to look after our future and base it on kids who want to be here vs. who may come.

I applaud those who can stay optimistic in the face of all that we’ve endured in the last decade plus.
I've been an illini everything fan my entire life, and that will never change, eventually something has to give and we will be winners again..( sooner rather than later)...
The only way I will not watch them anymore is if they change the Name from fighting illini or even just the illini to something ridiculous such as THE ILLINOIS FLYING SQUIRRELS, OR THE ILLINOIS BLACK BEARS... those are two names rumored to have been a possibility if they decide to get rid of illini altogether... that was about 2 or 3 years ago when I first heard that... haven't heard much else since....

Status
Not open for further replies.