Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (September 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.

illini80

Forgottonia
While Hawkins is not the high profile recruit we are all hoping for, I think he’s a perfect start to this class. A good player with a lot of upside potential and likely a 4 year player in the system. I’ve said for a while that I think rather than swinging for the fences in the fall and scrambling in the spring to fill a class, I much prefer to have a base of some kind to start from and continue to purse the Millers and Curbelo’s. I honestly think it improves our chances with them. Congrats to the staff and fingers crossed for one or both of the aforementioned.

Illinifan533

Normal, Illinois
While Hawkins is not the high profile recruit we are all hoping for, I think he’s a perfect start to this class. A good player with a lot of upside potential and likely a 4 year player in the system. I’ve said for a while that I think rather than swinging for the fences in the fall and scrambling in the spring to fill a class, I much prefer to have a base of some kind to start from and continue to purse the Millers and Curbelo’s. I honestly think it improves our chances with them. Congrats to the staff and fingers crossed for one or both of the aforementioned.

I feel like Hawkins is one of those borderline 4-star players, especially considering he had offers from other solid basketball programs.

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
I feel like Hawkins is one of those borderline 4-star players, especially considering he had offers from other solid basketball programs.

The last 4 star is ranked 126. Coleman is ranked 209.

Yes, he has some good attributes. But make no mistake, he's a project.

Whatever stars, it is OA that BU is counting on, in this case. That expectation is there with Kofi too. As with other bigs too.

Coleman Hawkins great Uncle is Tom Hawkins, former ND All American and still career rebound leader in school history. Played 10 years in NBA.

Is it me or do I see a little of cam Johnson in Mr. Hawkins game. Length, shooting avd dribbling ability. Also similar rankings.

I’ve seen hawkins a couple times the last couple years. I like his upside, but I wouldn’t expect him to play much his freshman year. If i recall, he was a 247 top 100 player.
Was a fun weekend on campus, cept the ball game. Got to see the new fb facilities and chatted with Adams “handlers” briefly.

I’ve seen hawkins a couple times the last couple years. I like his upside, but I wouldn’t expect him to play much his freshman year. If i recall, he was a 247 top 100 player.
Was a fun weekend on campus, cept the ball game. Got to see the new fb facilities and chatted with Adams “handlers” briefly.

Did you see both Nick and Mike Irvin?? There seems to be some question as to whether both were there?

Hawkins is basically a Top 150ish player, but with abilities to get much better from my understanding. I think he is a very good get for the ILLINI.

@KedPrince4: #Illini Bball recruiting News. Spoke with 6’4” ’20 5-⭐️ guard Adam Miller briefly regarding his official visit at Illinois this past weekend: It was fun, I had a good time. More than likely it’s going to be a few months before I decide on a college.
Not the news I wanted to hear. Its good that he had a good time. I hope he remembers that in a few months.

The last 4 star is ranked 126. Coleman is ranked 209.

Yes, he has some good attributes. But make no mistake, he's a project.

You're giving way top much credit to the rankings. If you think they can predict every guy after 100, well im not sure what to say. Its one thing if the guy is not ranked at all or not being recruited by high level programs. I think calling him a project is a little much.

You're giving way top much credit to the rankings. If you think they can predict every guy after 100, well im not sure what to say. Its one thing if the guy is not ranked at all or not being recruited by high level programs. I think calling him a project is a little much.

If any other school just locked down down a 200+ ranked, 6’10 200lb future college power forward, would you be making the same claim?

Or would you say something like, “he’s not gonna help right now and they’ll be lucky if he develops into something in a couple years.”

Ngl, I like Hawkins, tall, long, some handle and shooting ability. But he’s a project.

If any other school just locked down down a 200+ ranked, 6’10 200lb future college power forward, would you be making the same claim?

Or would you say something like, “he’s not gonna help right now and they’ll be lucky if he develops into something in a couple years.”

Ngl, I like Hawkins, tall, long, some handle and shooting ability. But he’s a project.
Is he related to Connie Hawkins? Would be great genes.

Listen, how do you rank so many HS athletes?! It's nearly impossible. I think it's like the NBA draft, after the first round (and many would argue earlier), you're picking based on need or project of some kind. It's the same with rankings. However the criteria or discussions each of these ranking groups have, after the first 10-20, it's a discussion of who's less flawed than the other. So for me, while being ranked in the top 100 is nice, all it means for me is that you've probably had either more exposure, shown good skill, and are more likely to succeed...but it isn't a determinate of success. Look at good ol' alex legion...kentucky recruit, but didn't pan out. I may be soft for the underdog story, but if CH can put in the work, he can become a contributor. Heck, even Ayo needed help, but what has set him apart has been his work ethic. Constantly improving, changing his game to fit the needs of the team and the college game.

sacraig

The desert

I think the point most have been trying to make is that rankings are a crapshoot after about the top 50 and that they are willing to put more stock in the offer list than stars. Hawkins was recruited by a number of good programs so clearly a number of college coaches thought he was better than his ranking or capable of growing into a much better player.

Who knows if that logic truly holds water. It makes sense to me, though. I'm not a college coach with extensive experience evaluating players while knowing my job depends on it, but notably, neither are recruiting reporters.

201154JC

Rockford, IL
Disappointed initially with Miller's comments. However, he just may want to see how the Illini do early on and what happens with the NCAA and Arizona.
Unless Bobby Hurley is a phenomenal pitch man, I can't see him heading to Az St.

Status
Not open for further replies.