Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (September 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
Hopefully we show him the upside

Early signing period begins Nov. 13th. We play 3 games before then, the only notable one being AZ (Nov. 10). Miller will probably have made his choice before then.

Disappointed initially with Miller's comments. However, he just may want to see how the Illini do early on and what happens with the NCAA and Arizona.
Unless Bobby Hurley is a phenomenal pitch man, I can't see him heading to Az St.

Arizona State has got a real good shot at Josh Christopher and Isaiah Todd.

If they can pull that off, playing with two 5 stars is always appealing.

They're going to be running with us until the end.

Last edited:
Coleman Hawkins.jpeg

Listen, how do you rank so many HS athletes?! It's nearly impossible. I think it's like the NBA draft, after the first round (and many would argue earlier), you're picking based on need or project of some kind. It's the same with rankings. However the criteria or discussions each of these ranking groups have, after the first 10-20, it's a discussion of who's less flawed than the other. So for me, while being ranked in the top 100 is nice, all it means for me is that you've probably had either more exposure, shown good skill, and are more likely to succeed...but it isn't a determinate of success. Look at good ol' alex legion...kentucky recruit, but didn't pan out. I may be soft for the underdog story, but if CH can put in the work, he can become a contributor. Heck, even Ayo needed help, but what has set him apart has been his work ethic. Constantly improving, changing his game to fit the needs of the team and the college game.

THE MOST important feature AND the hardest to rank.

More than likely it’s going to be a few months before I decide on a college.

Based on the fact that of the remaining schools "favored" for Miller include both AZ schools and Kansas and Louisville. It is not surprising that he wants to wait and probably see where all the other PG/CG commit too, meaning if he likes another school potentially more than he still likes us, then one of them commit there, then does he commit to us? Say if Love commits to L-Ville, and this is his favorite school, then why would he then commit?

I can understand the reluctance and want to prolong commitment announcment...that said, I don't think this latest twist necassarily favors us and our chances. We don't walk away obviously, however, the staff is probably reassessing the chances now? I would be willing to bet a "beach" house that they expected a commitment while on official. I also would not be surprised to hear the Irvins came along to ensure a "rash" decision was not made by a teenaged kid as well, not to talk him out or into a commitment, but to keep him calm enough to weigh all options.

I do not think a Irvin alliance is to our favor so far to be honest. We will see though.

illini80

Forgottonia
@KedPrince4: #Illini Bball recruiting News. Spoke with 6’4” ’20 5-⭐ guard Adam Miller briefly regarding his official visit at Illinois this past weekend: It was fun, I had a good time. More than likely it’s going to be a few months before I decide on a college.
Not the news I wanted to hear. Its good that he had a good time. I hope he remembers that in a few months.
While I want his commitment yesterday, there is little to no downside risk for a player of his caliber. Unless he truly has a favorite he doesn’t want to miss out on. That doesn’t appear to be the case. For a number of these highly ranked kids, it seems the longer they wait the more interest they get.

Seriously? You think that? I've seen so MANY cases where people with talent flame out way faster than those who just work harder.
This is just my take, but I'd rather take an ultra talented, physically gifted kid, who might need a kick in the rear vs a kid who's skills are limited, but has "a great motor".

I take Brian Johnson for example. He was fantastic on a team with a couple of McDonald's All Americans. He was the lunch pail, effort guy. I just don't want 10 Brian Johnson's on my roster. One, maybe two is enough.....based on what else you have.

While I want his commitment yesterday, there is little to no downside risk for a player of his caliber. Unless he truly has a favorite he doesn’t want to miss out on. That doesn’t appear to be the case. For a number of these highly ranked kids, it seems the longer they wait the more interest they get.
I got you. They have to get on Curbelo even harder & look at other targets as well. They should be doing that no matter what. They have been on this kid forever. I just believe he is a special player.

Early signing period begins Nov. 13th. We play 3 games before then, the only notable one being AZ (Nov. 10). Miller will probably have made his choice before then.

No insider information here....but I would think Miller would want to announce his intentions before his season begins...that would be mid-late November ....but I'm just speculating

@papicurbelo11: Thank you to all the schools that have recruited me after speaking with my family & coach these are my final five schools...‼👑🤞🏽🔥🇵🇷

Really a Final 2. Miami and ILL.

Expected him to wait to cut the list until the winter and then sign in the spring. This could mean a fall signing which will heavily play in our favor.

Hawkins, Miller and Curbelo. Sign me up. :shield:

Status
Not open for further replies.