Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (September 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChiefGritty

Chicago, IL
What has the vaunted USC football program does since the Reggie Bush suspension?

Win the Pac 12, win the Rose Bowl, win 10+ games 3 times, be ranked in the top 10 on a number of different occasions including preseason #1 once. Keep getting top 5 recruiting classes most critically.

There's nowhere to hide from bad head coaching choices, and that's what USC has done, but look at how much they've accomplished despite that.

They hire Urban Meyer or Bob Stoops and they'll blot out the sun again.

They hire Urban Meyer or Bob Stoops and they'll blot out the sun again.
[/QUOTE]

Wrong thread, but I was hoping that we would hire Urban.:)

jmilt7

Waukegan
Have you been living under a rock?
Hmm, if you are referring to the Love comment, it was just reported yesterday and I have not seen it mentioned here. So not sure what you are on. Maybe time has a different meaning for you.

sacraig

The desert
Just a question, can someone explain how the NCAA sees the new California law as "unconstitutional".

It might be argued that it affects interstate commerce, which is delegated to Congress and not states in the Constitution. Maybe?

This law makes sense to me because it doesn't force pay for all sports but yet allows money to be earned by individual players.

foby

Bonnaroo Land
The law would open up a feeding frenzy for "entertainment" agents who want to represent the top kids as early as Jr High....or even before? Changes the game if it holds up.

ChiefGritty

Chicago, IL
It might be argued that it affects interstate commerce, which is delegated to Congress and not states in the Constitution. Maybe?

No, just because Congress is empowered to legislate on matters affecting interstate commerce does not mean states are not.

The problem with the law is exactly what mechanism by which it would be enforced. The California legislature can tell Berkeley and Fresno State what to do, but the NCAA is a private organization, they aren't bound by CA law to the extent they are not operating there. The Bill's supporters say they would have recourse in antitrust law if the NCAA sanctions their schools, which they very well might, but they could have done that anyway.

illini80

Forgottonia
It's not rocket surgery: existing revenue sources. They're huge and generated largely by the kids.
Well then, who’s taking a cut in pay? That’s my point. Limited resources and we are giving the kids a slice of the pie, someone’s not getting what they were. I’ve never said they shouldn’t get something, but I dont see it as easy to do as rocket surgery. 🚀👨‍⚕️😁

What a fascinating dynamic. A majority of Illini fans encouraging dirty recruiting while fans of the blue bloods plead their innocence.

sacraig

The desert
No, just because Congress is empowered to legislate on matters affecting interstate commerce does not mean states are not.

The problem with the law is exactly what mechanism by which it would be enforced. The California legislature can tell Berkeley and Fresno State what to do, but the NCAA is a private organization, they aren't bound by CA law to the extent they are not operating there. The Bill's supporters say they would have recourse in antitrust law if the NCAA sanctions their schools, which they very well might, but they could have done that anyway.

I said "maybe" for a reason because it is not clear how it would be unconstitutional.

As for the rest, I don't think there is anything to enforce in the first place. All it is saying is that players have a legal right to profit off of their own name and likeness. Players could choose to do so and be ineligible or they could choose not to and go on as normal. The bottom line is that California is the most populous state in the country and the NCAA stands to lose a ton of money if they suddenly declare the whole state ineligible. It is an untenable position. This is basically a game of chicken, and I think California has the stronger position. The law also wouldn't take effect until 2023, which would give enough time for other states to follow suit and basically force the NCAA to play ball.

sacraig

The desert
What a fascinating dynamic. A majority of Illini fans encouraging dirty recruiting while fans of the blue bloods plead their innocence.

I am not sure the majority of us encourage explicit recruiting so much as we realize that is how the game is played by those at a high level (to varying degrees) and also think the NCAA is completely full of crap. The actual group who supports dirty recruiting seems to be much more split.

Flight#33

Flight#33
If the players could benefit from their likeness, imagine the windfall Giorgi would be looking at hauling in. The characters that would become of Ayo's hair , and Kofi's size. The students would get creative and the whole team would benefit. It would bring a whole new dynamic to athletic department, and it would be a study in marketing.

I don't see how a change in California law can change the NCAA's rules on amateurism. Membership in the NCAA is voluntary and I'd think that one requirement of membership is that you play by the rules of the NCAA. Now, enforcing those rules may be hit or miss, but lack of enforcement is not the same as invalidating the rules.

Status
Not open for further replies.