Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (September 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Adam Miller has also stated he will commit around his birthday Janurary 23. Per his IG page.

Illwinsagain

Cary, IL
Have y'all read the Cali bill? Its pretty clear on some of the speculated points in this thread.

My own acronyms for brevity:
NIL = student's name, image, likeness
NCAA = An athletic association, conference, or other group or organization with authority over intercollegiate athletics, including, but not limited to, the National Collegiate Athletic Association
School = postsecondary educational institution, meaning any campus of the University of California or the California State University, an independent institution of higher education, as defined in Section 66010, or a private postsecondary educational institution, as defined in Section 94858
Rule = rule, requirement, standard, or other limitation

1. A school cannot uphold any rule that prevents a student from earning compensation as a result of the use of NIL. Earning compensation from NIL shall not affect the students eligibility.

2. The NCAA shall not prevent a student at a school from earning compensation for NIL.

3. The NCAA shall not prevent a school from participating in intercollegiate athletics as a result of a student earning compensation for NIL.

4. A school cannot provide compensation to a student for NIL.

5. Schools and the NCAA cannot prohibit a student from hiring attorneys and agents.

6. Agents and lawyers hired by a student must be licensed by the state.

7. Agents representing students must comply with federal laws.

8. A scholarship provided by a school is not considered compensation. A scholarship shall not be revoked as a result of a student earning compensation for NIL.

9. A student cannot enter into a contract for NIL that conflicts with one of their teams' contracts. A student that enters a contract must disclose it to the school. The school must respond identifying any conflicts.

10. A team's contract shall not prevent a student from using their NIL for a commercial purpose when the student is not engaged in official team activities.

11. This becomes operative 1/1/2023

Edit: it also convenes a working group to review Community Colleges with respect to these same issues and expects a report to be submitted prior to 7/1/2021.
Not sure how the CA can decide the rules of the NCAA. It is a voluntary participation organization. (That I wish would be burnt down to the ground and re-created with people that worry about a fair playing field).

Illwinsagain

Cary, IL
Adam Miller has also stated he will commit around his birthday Janurary 23. Per his IG page.
So, we have time to impress him and for others to fill their coffers and leave him only one viable option, the place he wanted the whole time, the beloved.

Illwinsagain

Cary, IL
No idea, just summarizing. Maybe, as one of the other posters mentioned, it forces NCAA to either change rules, or completely abandon CA?

Btw, reference: https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billTextClient.xhtml?bill_id=201920200SB206
I think that it is a huge game of chicken. I think that the CA universities will cave ahead of the NCAA. The west coast teams are not as big as they used to be. Unless other states jump on board, like NC, AL, OH, MI, FL, etc., I think that CA will be left out in the cold.

Deleted member 29907

D
This has been asked multiple times - but can we seriously move the non recruit specific discussion to another thread? Those who want to discuss pay vs play, NCAA rules can then have at it unobstructed from all of this silly discussion about recruits.

This has been asked multiple times - but can we seriously move the non recruit specific discussion to another thread? Those who want to discuss pay vs play, NCAA rules can then have at it unobstructed from all of this silly discussion about recruits.
I think recruiting discussion just has to find a new home at this point. May I recommend posting in "How to Watch the Illini"?

Have y'all read the Cali bill? Its pretty clear on some of the speculated points in this thread.

My own acronyms for brevity:
NIL = student's name, image, likeness
NCAA = An athletic association, conference, or other group or organization with authority over intercollegiate athletics, including, but not limited to, the National Collegiate Athletic Association
School = postsecondary educational institution, meaning any campus of the University of California or the California State University, an independent institution of higher education, as defined in Section 66010, or a private postsecondary educational institution, as defined in Section 94858
Rule = rule, requirement, standard, or other limitation

1. A school cannot uphold any rule that prevents a student from earning compensation as a result of the use of NIL. Earning compensation from NIL shall not affect the students eligibility.

2. The NCAA shall not prevent a student at a school from earning compensation for NIL.

3. The NCAA shall not prevent a school from participating in intercollegiate athletics as a result of a student earning compensation for NIL.

4. A school cannot provide compensation to a student for NIL.

5. Schools and the NCAA cannot prohibit a student from hiring attorneys and agents.

6. Agents and lawyers hired by a student must be licensed by the state.

7. Agents representing students must comply with federal laws.

8. A scholarship provided by a school is not considered compensation. A scholarship shall not be revoked as a result of a student earning compensation for NIL.

9. A student cannot enter into a contract for NIL that conflicts with one of their teams' contracts. A student that enters a contract must disclose it to the school. The school must respond identifying any conflicts.

10. A team's contract shall not prevent a student from using their NIL for a commercial purpose when the student is not engaged in official team activities.

11. This becomes operative 1/1/2023

Edit: it also convenes a working group to review Community Colleges with respect to these same issues and expects a report to be submitted prior to 7/1/2021.
Thanks. This answers a whole bunch of my questions. It also raises new ones about the ability of a state to regulate a national entity, but I'd much rather see recruiting news than get lost in the weeds over stuff like this. Either it works or it doesn't.

How does KK’s game compare to Miller/Curbelo? Is this the staff’s 2A pick?

If we get Miller and we get either KK or Curbelo, I would be ecstatic and I imagine the staff would be too.

Edit: I don't have specifics on KK's game but there are highlights online somewhere. Would appreciate that info too.

Kk Robinson looks pretty smooth and athletic. I like this!

Top 6 for miller??? Yikes. We are not far along in this recruitment as I thought...

How does KK’s game compare to Miller/Curbelo? Is this the staff’s 2A pick?

Comparable to Frazier, except, I think Trent and him were even as shooters, KK's game though shows more improved right hand dribble ability and hops than TF had at the same age....hops still today even.

Hopefully that PT available to him with Ayo heading to the NBA is important to him.

Great reminder of how good a recruiter Self is: "He told me before all of it came out that they are going to be alright and that they are going to fight it really hard so it won’t really affect my decision. "

o_O

? was asked is he option 2A. He said he was going to wait until late to make decision. If he made a decision early i think Illini would take him without hesitation.

Still hoping for Miller and Curbello. Curbello seems like a fundamentally strong guard with team first concept. Can we lots of games wirh those types of PGs.

Status
Not open for further replies.