Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (September 2020)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Didn't hear about the blue blood, but I did hear that DePaul tried to buy a seat at the table.
Still think Memphis is the dark horse here. Would not be surprised if any of the three finalists win this though. Each staff is hearing what they want to hear.
Yup. Wouldn't be the first recruit to tell each staff what they want to hear....just hope it turns out well for Illinois this time.

According to 247, they are sitting on the #4 recruiting class in the country...
You would think this kind of success would lead to some suspicion on behalf of the NCAA. Lost any hope of the NCAA not being a sham when UNC got no punishment.

You would think this kind of success would lead to some suspicion on behalf of the NCAA. Lost any hope of the NCAA not being a sham when UNC got no punishment.

I really don't get how there are still posters who have this kind of mentality --that our house is squeaky clean or we should be suspicious of other programs being dirty. By the amateurism standards of the NCAA, and the enormous amount of money at stake for those involved, I'd wager there are no clean programs at all in the P5.

I really don't get how there are still posters who have this kind of mentality --that our house is squeaky clean or we should be suspicious of other programs being dirty. By the amateurism standards of the NCAA, and the enormous amount of money at stake for those involved, I'd wager there are no clean programs at all in the P5.

I hope you are not putting Illinois in that category.:)

I don't know if any program is squeaky clean as you said, but it is strange when a school has no coaching change, no previous successful seasons, no highly ranked committed recruit who has friends that say they are a package deal, no legacy recruit, no group of local kids all committing with the idea of bringing the program back to life. All they have is a New AD and a new arena. You have to start the resurgence somewhere but geesh. Then I keep hearing the Jones committed without visiting. I mean that happens but DePaul aint Duke.

I don't know if any program is squeaky clean as you said, but it is strange when a school has no coaching change, no previous successful seasons, no highly ranked committed recruit who has friends that say they are a package deal, no legacy recruit, no group of local kids all committing with the idea of bringing the program back to life. All they have is a New AD and a new arena. You have to start the resurgence somewhere but geesh. Then I keep hearing the Jones committed without visiting. I mean that happens but DePaul aint Duke.
Does the new arena have soda pop drinking fountains with unlimited coke?

I totally agree with this. However, NO ACTUAL CLASSES? That is ridiculous. Get rid of college basketball and make a minor league, if you are not going to at least pretend that these are students. There is a HUGE difference in the bolded, and not even having classes. I want to know how valuable a UNC degree actually is now, if I can get one without attending class.

I'm sure that DePaul is squeaky clean this year, I mean it was just last year they were given sanctions by the NCAA, so I'm sure they have cleaned everything up. They sent someone to live with a recruit for 2 weeks to ensure he would be eligible....

Jones thought he was going to play for the DePaul Blue Devils, he'd probably never even heard of them until he was given a card to read of where he would be attending.

If all it takes is new pretty and shiny things, our football and basketball teams would be loaded with 5 ⭐'s up and down both lineups.

Bottom line, I trust our staff to get guys that want to be an Illini, and will find guys that want to work hard, get better, and win

Hadn't seen this posted anywhere, interesting interview with Goode

Find it interesting that he says, "Illinois has not historically been a winning program." People have said it on here before, but it goes to show that kids only look at what they know and have seen, lately! They don't care about the 2004-2005 season, they wanna know what the last few years have been like. Hopefully we get the train rolling and start the, "look at me now, mentality, for the program."

I don’t have any misconceptions that we run a squeaky clean program. If you are ranked in the P5 you’re cheating in some way. That’s how the system is set up.
I also didn’t explicitly say that DePaul is cheating nor did I accuse them of cheating. I simply pointed out that it should raise some eyebrows when a program like DePaul has this kind of success.

I’m actually not even sure what part of what I said you are taking issue with. It sounds like we agree?

This. Is. Such. A. Bad. Take.

It is a coach's job to convince recruits to want to be an Illini. Most players don't just have that trait already.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

What about those players that leave in the offseason, because they didn't want to work hard, follow rules, etc. Part of the recruiting process is to make sure they know what they are getting into. It's not show up at 330, dribble the ball around, take a few jump shots, do some 15lb curls with Fletch.

To be an Illini means, early mornings, late nights, staying eligible, taking care of your body, knowing the system, playing defense, etc. etc. etc.

sacraig

The desert
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

What about those players that leave in the offseason, because they didn't want to work hard, follow rules, etc. Part of the recruiting process is to make sure they know what they are getting into. It's not show up at 330, dribble the ball around, take a few jump shots, do some 15lb curls with Fletch.

To be an Illini means, early mornings, late nights, staying eligible, taking care of your body, knowing the system, playing defense, etc. etc. etc.

I am 100% sure that the players who have left (not counting the ones who were recruited by the prior staff) had a chance to talk to players on the current roster and get a glimpse of life on an Underwood team ahead of time. They decided they wanted to be Illini. Why they later changed their minds is likely going to be different for different people. For any who decide they don't want to work hard and follow the rules (which I have no idea if this is actually true of any of them), then that's not on the staff that said players eventually decide that being an Illini is not worth putting in the work it takes.

Find it interesting that he says, "Illinois has not historically been a winning program." People have said it on here before, but it goes to show that kids only look at what they know and have seen, lately! They don't care about the 2004-2005 season, they wanna know what the last few years have been like. Hopefully we get the train rolling and start the, "look at me now, mentality, for the program."

It's good that he's going to a fine academic institution like Illinois where he can learn what the term "historically" actually means.

IlliniTarHeel

Topsail, NC
I totally agree with this. However, NO ACTUAL CLASSES? That is ridiculous. Get rid of college basketball and make a minor league, if you are not going to at least pretend that these are students. There is a HUGE difference in the bolded, and not even having classes. I want to know how valuable a UNC degree actually is now, if I can get one without attending class.

It is very valuable because my wife has her PHD from UNC

Status
Not open for further replies.