Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (September 2020)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ILLINIShox24

Orange Krush '04 & '05
When is the early signing period? Wondering how long these commits have to resist the efforts to flip them.

Can someone explain to me the on the court difference between a shooting guard and a small forward?

In Underwood's scheme, both are positionless.
Maybe on a little Offense but not on D. The bigger guy gets the bigger man. At times that's been an issue at the 3 and 4 spot. I dont see Ayo when he is at the 2 guarding the 3 spot much if at all. He almost always is on a 1 or 2 on D and on offense for that matter. He never played in a 3 role like others did the past two seasons. Theres a difference Kip played the 3 or 4 at times but never as a 2 and vice versa fir Ayo.

Last edited:
Oy, that reads like he's most excited about Memphis, but hopefully I'm just reading too much into things. If Penny is selling Nesbitt on playing as a combo guard, then the overlap with all of their wings might be less concerning to him than it would seem to us.
And yet, he mentioned that Underwood sees him being used in the same way they use Ayo, which isn't any different than what Memphis is selling.

Nesbitt would be the first Illini from the city of St Louis since Bill Morris in 1972.

Oy, that reads like he's most excited about Memphis, but hopefully I'm just reading too much into things. If Penny is selling Nesbitt on playing as a combo guard, then the overlap with all of their wings might be less concerning to him than it would seem to us.
Sounds like he and Penny are pretty good buddies...
Not good, but if they are too good of buddies, may not be good for either of them in the long run!

The bigger guy gets the bigger man.

No way. You put your best defender on their best scorer (within reason). Obviously you can't put a 6'-0" on a 7'-0" big but Trent regularly guarded the opposing teams 2nd or 3rd shortest guys even though he was our shortest just because he was a good defender. Same with bringing in DMFW to guard guys that were 3-4 inches taller than him because DMFW is a better defender than Giorgi even with the difference in height.

No way. You put your best defender on their best scorer (within reason). Obviously you can't put a 6'-0" on a 7'-0" big but Trent regularly guarded the opposing teams 2nd or 3rd shortest guys even though he was our shortest just because he was a good defender. Same with bringing in DMFW to guard guys that were 3-4 inches taller than him because DMFW is a better defender than Giorgi even with the difference in height.
We were talking about the 2 or the 3 spot being ",positionless". How many small forwards did Trent ever cover by choice? That certainly was not who TF was assigned on defense. He covered 1s and 2s not 3s. He would get abused in the post by good 3s in the B10.
DW was in there to spread the floor more than anything when GB couldnt shoot open 3s. I dont think that BU prefers DW on the 6'9" 240lb posting the B10 guys to GB. He only got away with it due to Kofi. The year prior DMW wasint playing the 4 on D because we didnt have Kofi. Anyway we were discussing the 2 and 3 spot.
I love DMWs heart but he would be abused by the B10 4s without the impact of Kofi and behind him and it is certainly not ideal to have him defending those B10 4s. Without Kofi he wouldnt be in here doing it for the long haul Davis n other are too much for any 6'3" player without Kofis impact.
That's not a slap in DMWs heart or how valuable he is . It is what it is in the B10. Glad we got Kofi and DMW is a serviceable option because of that. The 4s in the B10 are too good for any 6'3" player without help.

Last edited:

sacraig

The desert
Un9LLTm.png

Soulberries

University of Illinois
And yet, he mentioned that Underwood sees him being used in the same way they use Ayo, which isn't any different than what Memphis is selling.

i mentioned this because I think it’s conceivable that both schools are selling him as a guard, and because of that, any recruitment of SFs won’t factor much in his decision.

Can someone tell me what the difference is between Miller and Nesbitt other than 3 inches? On film, they seem to have a similar style, both are alpha dogs, and both want to play the same position (though Miller probably gets the edge in shooting and defense). If you’ve got Curbelo at the point, do both play at the same time in Underwood’s offense?

Status
Not open for further replies.