Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (September 2020)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Snow with CB flip to Memphis w/confidence level of 7

1601489519804.gif

Sounds like Jabari Smith, number 5 player in the 2021 class, is going pro. Not sure if G League or overseas.

Make no mistake about it...

There has been some movement here the past few days/24 hours. That’s the reality. Some critical information has been leaked out there THAT HAS NOT BEEN CONFIRMED that would potentially sway this recruitment undeniably in Memphis’ favor.

Snow has went ahead and became the 1st to officially confirm it.

Snow says he has a source “Extremely” close to the situation that can confirm it went down all the way thru. It’s all bad $$$ 🤦🏽

The meeting last night didn’t exactly go as planned, but all positive vibes were still being sent out to the Illinois camp leading up & prior to..

However, the Nesbitt’s have went on a 36 hour lock-down leading up to the announcement as of last nite and the staff was informed this morning thru a 3rd party member that the final decision has been made in Memphis’ favor.

My sources were not able to confirm if these rumors were indeed 100% factually true. No one has since this purposed ‘change in plans’ took place this weekend.

Things were still murky leading up to last nites meeting as to if something had actually indeed changed or not, and I’m told even the meeting took an unexpected turn last night as well (things that I may come back and share later on Loyalty After Dark)...

I’ve been checking my phone non-stop all morning going crazy, just trying to maintain hope! 🙏🏼 🙏🏼

I’m told the staff is desperately trying to crack back in as of this hour, as is my lead source to Nesbitt’s Dad... but it’s been all crickets all morning since 😞

Last edited:
Snow has went ahead and became the 1st officially confirm it.

Snow says he has a source “Extremely” close to the situation that can confirm it went down all the way thru. It’s all bad $$$ 🤦🏽

The meeting last night didn’t exactly go as planned, but all positive vibes were still being sent out to the Illinois camp leading up & prior to..

However, the Nesbitt’s have went on a 36 hour lock-down leading up to the announcement as of last nite and the staff was informed this morning thru a 3rd party member that the final decision has been made in Memphis’ favor.

My sources were not able to confirm if these rumors were indeed 100% factually true. No one has since this purposed ‘change in plans’ took place this weekend.

things were still murky leading up to last nites meeting if something had changed or not, and I’m told even the meeting then took an unexpected turn last night as well (things that I may come back and share later on Loyalty After Dark)...

I’ve been checking my phone non-stop all morning going crazy, just trying to maintain hope! 🙏🏼 🙏🏼

I’m told the staff is desperately trying to crack back in as of this hour, as is my lead source to Nesbitt’s Dad... but it’s been all crickets all morning since 😞

Well, that sucks it’s not going our way, but on to the next one. Best of luck to him.

So was this not in reference to Nesbitt...?

It was not in reference to Nesbitt at all. I posted not too long ago saying Memphis was the dark horse and each staff was hearing what they wanted to hear...

The one thing I never worry about with this staff is recruiting. They will get kids. Always have.

We should be celebrating the fact that we have a top 100 player committed for the fall once again with Luke Goode, and we are sitting pretty with Mac Etienne.

Last edited:
Snow has went ahead and became the 1st to officially confirm it.

Things were still murky leading up to last nites meeting as to if something had actually indeed changed or not, and I’m told even the meeting then took an unexpected turn last night as well (things that I may come back and share later on Loyalty After Dark)...

Ugh. Just ugh.

Name the last "circus" type recruitment that went our way?

Good point. This hasn’t felt like it would go our way for at least a week. Which makes me wonder...I’m not saying we are clean but are we less dirty than other programs? If we weren’t I would think we would win more of these.

Oh well. Staff will get some good players. Onto the next one.

Name the last "circus" type recruitment that went our way?

I'm not sure that's such a bad thing. If you think of the time and effort you invest in recruiting, the most unpredictable ones are probably the most difficult, the most likely to fall through, and/or result in complications later. Staff can't know what they're in for in every case, but the fewer of these, the better IMO. And if staff takes a flier from time to time, or things develop much differently from where they originally expected, you won't hear me criticize them because of it. It's an inherently difficult and unpredictable business, recruiting, and I look at it based on the total cycle. That said, it sucks to see them go hard after a really promising player, and get nipped at the line. Fortunately they understand that better than any of us.

Two of these in a row sucks. At least our team is good and we've recruited some top notch guys over the last few years. Remember when just barely missing on top prospects was as good as it got?

Does this change the dynamics of the Hopkins recruitment? Is he more likely to come with Nesbitt out of the picture? I'm assuming the staff will shift focus a bit in his direction...

altenberger22

South Carolina
I can see Penny having pretty good credibility with HS seniors. Albeit to a lesser extent, it's probably like having Coach K walk into your gymnasium a week before you're planning to announce your decision. You have to listen.

Status
Not open for further replies.