Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (July 2018)

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is depressing to see the Quad Cities completely taken by Iowa (even the Illinois side). The solution is simple but not easy: win and win consistently.

Not sure I agree. Does Iowa “win and win consistently”? If not, then their dominance is NOT predicated on the premise, thereby invalidating the surety of the conclusion.

Last edited:
What on earth would lead you to draw that conclusion?

Transfers are now a huge part of the modern college basketball landscape. Even with Underwood recruiting "his" style of players, I'd be shocked if at least one player didn't transfer out.

Grew up in the QC area and had to put up with the Squawkeyes, as well. This brings back thoughts when Illinois high schools had just 2 classes of basketball, 1A & 2A. It was great to watch those notable state tournament games that were played at the Assembly Hall on Friday and Saturday during its version of March Madness. Made the trip to Champaign a few times via Rt 150, pre I-74 timeframe. Those were some memorable days that kept all loyal Illinois fans focused on the University of Illinois, its campus, and made its place on the map year after year for a long, long time. Everyone was wondering who would be the next star to commit to UI. Once the tournament left Champaign, so went the notoriety and magnet to draw great state players when it really was considered Illinois's university. Such is life.

Steve Spanich - a blast from the past at Rock Island Alleman HS who committed to UI in the late 60's. Take the following with a grain of salt since there may be some misleading or inaccurate information:

http://www.sj-r.com/x968920521/Catching-up-with-yesterday-s-stars-Steve-Spanich

https://ussporthistory.com/2014/10/20/the-illinois-slush-fund-scandal-of-1966-67/

Last edited:

IbleedOandB2014

In BU we trust
Chattanooga
Stanford took one of the best QC players in recent years. Chasson Randle. That man could play ball.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

t7nich

Central IL
Kahlil Whitney ranked #13 nationally by 247, composite rank #18

Peoria Illini

Peoria, IL
Building the 2019 recruiting class around Whitney would be a big move for the Illini. A class of Whitney, Cockburn and Shannon would be optimal!

Building the 2019 recruiting class around Whitney would be a big move for the Illini. A class of Whitney, Cockburn and Shannon would be optimal!

I'd take even one of those three. Whitney is looking less and less likely, and Cockburn is still a big question mark. Shannon looks like the best bet.

we will see how much influence we have on MIF players in this cycle (and 2020). Wont have to wait long to prove one side or the other wrong when talking about if we got screwed/chose right with Ayo/THT.

CoalCity

St Paul, MN

Dont forget about Kai Jones and Drew Timme, either of which might be even more suited than Cockburn for the run, jump and shoot game that BU wants to play.

Kid by the name of EJ Liddel ain't exactly chopped liver either.

But Cockburn would definitely provide some rim protection by his very presence. He is a grown a** man and is going to be tough to deal with down low in college.

Last edited:

Peoria Illini

Peoria, IL
I'd take even one of those three. Whitney is looking less and less likely, and Cockburn is still a big question mark. Shannon looks like the best bet.

we will see how much influence we have on MIF players in this cycle (and 2020). Wont have to wait long to prove one side or the other wrong when talking about if we got screwed/chose right with Ayo/THT.

Why is Whitney looking less and less likely? Have you heard something?

And why would we be getting screwed if the MIF guys don't all come to Illinois? Would have chosen THT over Ayo brought us different recruits from Simeon or Team Rose?

CoalCity

St Paul, MN

Why do you think Whitney is less likely? Because he's going up in the rankings? He loves Ayo and wants to play with him and he talks to the staff every day. We'll have to fight off the bluebloods but Illinois is in a good position right now. We want to be in tough recruiting battles or we're not recruiting the right players.

And I dont need proof. They made the right choice with Ayo.

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™

Good grief!

mhuml32

Cincinnati, OH

This seems premature at worst and super speculative at best. He's been very high on Illinois for a while. We want him to continue to improve, just need Underwood and Co. to get his pledge.

Stanford took one of the best QC players in recent years. Chasson Randle. That man could play ball.

Worked with his gf's mom during his recruitment. Said he would have picked Iowa if not Stanford despite his dad being an Illini fan. Posted that info on here back then and everyone received it really well and expressed their gratitude for providing said info.

jk, this loyalty, you can guess that that post went.

This seems premature at worst and super speculative at best.

It's both, with a bit of hyperbole sprinkled in. I have no inside knowledge (sorry for creating such a ruckus), nor do I think picking Ayo was wrong (they did the right thing), and I definitely dont know enough to say we burned bridges (not that Simeon has a) sent us top notch guys b) had an overabundance to send), but its hard to say there weren't negatives.

I was actually just trying to get the point across that if we dont get some/all these highly regarded MIF players, people are going to start bringing up this argument again (guess I'm already guilty).

When recruitments start entering blue blood territory, its never a good thing for us (other than the fact we obviously are in on a phenomenal player). If you are a top 25 basketball player, I can think of plenty of reasons why Duke/KU/UK can sway you there, as opposed to UI.

Hopefully that's going to happen a lot with guys that we are targeting. Means we are upping our recruiting game.

Be a great indication if we're winning those battles. Not feeling it just yet, though. Might need a swig of the orange kool-aid.

Do we know when Whitney is looking to sign? Curious whether he will see our ‘18-‘19 team before deciding.

If Ayo has a better career than THT than we will know if we "chose" correct. The rest is petty message board fodder at best.

Do we know when Whitney is looking to sign? Curious whether he will see our ‘18-‘19 team before deciding.

He is supposedly cutting his list after the summer.

I would guess a fall signing. I think he will run his recruitment similar to the way Ayo did, and we all know how that ended. :shield::)

I believe I’ve heard people say he is planning on signing this fall, earlier than later.

It was great to watch those notable state tournament games that were played at the Assembly Hall on Friday and Saturday during its version of March Madness. Made the trip to Champaign a few times via Rt 150, pre I-74 timeframe. Those were some memorable days that kept all loyal Illinois fans focused on the University of Illinois, its campus, and made its place on the map year after year for a long, long time. . . Once the tournament left Champaign, so went the notoriety and magnet to draw great state players when it really was considered Illinois's university.

This is my memory as well. Moving the state tournament was a HUGE mistake for the U of I. Hurts to this day.

As for Iowa and Wisconsin, consider their states vs. the state of Illinois. How many institutions of higher education do IA and WI have vs ILL? All they got is the Hawkeyes and Badgers. Yeah, the Cyclones too. Their citizens have no one else to root for. That's why their gear sells. In Chicago, the major media roots for Notre Dame. Except when USC comes to town. USC brings everything they got.

Status
Not open for further replies.