Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (August 2018)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 653277

D
With KY one and dones Whitney might see immediate pt (besides being his dream school). Shannon is probably good enough to start at DePaul.

These kids know there's only 2 scholarships available here for next year and this roster is very young. Which means when they arrive they will be a year behind talented players who will be here 2-4 years.

The doom and gloom of this board never ceases to amaze me. Sure no one is happy with last years results or early recruiting outcomes. But not every single potential recruit that decides to go elsewhere is a loss. Who on here truly is aware how interested the staff was on Shannon. TRULY?? I tried to allude to this in my last post. The fact was BU was never sold on him. He was a long term project in staffs eyes (if anyone has access to Sturdy, his writeup today illustrates this very well). Illinois “offered” extremely early in process as good will to MIF. This isn’t a “we didn’t want him” post...the fact is he wasn’t prioritized. He just wasn’t. It looks bad from a PR standpoint, but I can say with 100% certainty, no one on the staff is upset today.

** This isn’t previous staff(s) where recruiting played out in media and message boards. It’s tight lipped for a reason. They are talking to kids that hasn’t been posted anywhere. Relax!! Expect some big visitors soon
Nonsense. They wanted TS.

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
So many wings!

fractal__wing_by_luisbc-d6gb2mp.gif

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
It's Sunday. Who's ever heard of #wewillsunday? Did you ever really think about it?

Nonsense. They wanted TS.
I would kindly ask you go back and read what I wrote. Nowhere did I say they didn’t want him. I said he wasn’t prioritized. They feel good about other kids they are talking to, and feel like they are better prospects that will make an impact sooner. Would have they accepted a commitment down the road if they struck out on others...possibly. But not at this point

Also please go read Shannon’s comments. His comments allude to this. He wasn’t a priority at Illinois.

I’m positive you’re much more dialed in than me though. What do I know?? I’ll go back my uninformed hole

Deleted member 643761

D
Well, I'll judge this class at the end of the early period, not before. Obviously, it's not started out well, but we just have to accept that we don't have any advantage with area recruits any more. Not sure if it will come back with wins, but hopefully it will.

More importantly, we obviously are doing a lot across the country. Hopefully it will still pay dividends this fall.

If this class turns out to be weak to middlin' ( I can't see great at this point) then it will be so much more imperative to have a good season. Probably tourney if we want to land Miller.

The Huggy coaching tree has never been strong on recruiting. They also have a style that is unacceptable to some recruits. We're just going to have to realize that. I hope that it doesn't create a ceiling for us, but it might. I trust that it will create wins, I'm just not sure if it will be enough to make me happy.

the national

the Front Range
There is so much we dont know in the world of recruiting because it is behind the scenes. As fans, we just don't have the luxury of knowing. For recruiting losses like this one, we just have to move onto the next guy and see what we can do. We are really years away from being where we want to be, back to the respectable realm of college basketball. Right now, we are getting crumbs because that's where we are.

If you look at our recruiting wins over the past year (and not focus on the loses), I am pleased with how the staff has done. It doesn't mean I am satisfied but i think they pulled in some really decent kids. It's a start.

Time for Walker to reel in Liddell, and Antigua to reel in Cockburn. Take those 2 and call it a class.

Miss on Liddell, go get Jalen Hill.

I would kindly ask you go back and read what I wrote. Nowhere did I say they didn’t want him. I said he wasn’t prioritized. They feel good about other kids they are talking to, and feel like they are better prospects that will make an impact sooner. Would have they accepted a commitment down the road if they struck out on others...possibly. But not at this point

Also please go read Shannon’s comments. His comments allude to this. He wasn’t a priority at Illinois.

I’m positive you’re much more dialed in than me though. What do I know?? I’ll go back my uninformed hole
I know what you said but he was a top target. Your comment reads as if the staff was treating him as a backup plan but that wasn't the case. However, I do think the staff was too confident in being able to land TS and could have prioritized even more. That's my concern with this staff, they don't seem to know how to read the situation well. Seemed to be the case with many recruits they've chased.

We all want answers now, but best answer will come when we close out the 2019 class. We don't know what the priority level was for TS at Illinois or if this was a factor. Last I checked their are still 6-6 players available that the staff are recruiting. Curious to see how late picks Tevian and AGriffin work out.

There is so much we dont know in the world of recruiting because it is behind the scenes. As fans, we just don't have the luxury of knowing. For recruiting losses like this one, we just have to move onto the next guy and see what we can do. We are really years away from being where we want to be, back to the respectable realm of college basketball. Right now, we are getting crumbs because that's where we are.

If you look at our recruiting wins over the past year (and not focus on the loses), I am pleased with how the staff has done. It doesn't mean I am satisfied but i think they pulled in some really decent kids. It's a start.

Problem is recruiting could be getting worse, even though after a year it should be getting better. We get Ayo and think the rest of the class will fill in nicely. But then we miss on a bunch of guys (Castleton, Nolley, THT, etc) and have to scramble in the Spring. Tev Jones was a big get but outside of him you could argue every other guy is nothing more than a shot in the dark. Add in the fact that pretty much every person on this board was saying that Okoro and Liddell were must gets. Okoro is gone and Liddell looks extremely unlikely.

I haven't lost faith in this staff but I'm starting to get really nervous. In February I could see us in 4th or 5th in the B1G, easily on our way to the tourney, and 3 or 4 solid recruits already committed. But I could also easily see us in 13th, our freshmen shots in the dark looking out of place, and 1 or 2 mediocre recruits on board. I just choose to look at it from a more optimistic view so I'm excited to see these next 6 months unfold. But I'm prepared and ready for the worst.

The only consolation I can find in any of this is watching all Mac Irvin Fire pipeliners try and dig their way out. Remember when people wanted said we should choose them over Simeon because Simeon wouldn't send us their best...

We must have been really drunk when we got in bed with the Irvins.

In February I could see us in 4th or 5th in the B1G, easily on our way to the tourney, and 3 or 4 solid recruits already committed. But I could also easily see us in 13th, our freshmen shots in the dark looking out of place, and 1 or 2 mediocre recruits on board.

Kinda important to understand that those two factors don't have a heck of a lot to do with one another.

Also, no way on earth are we gonna be 4th or 5th in the B1G next year. And that kinda gets at the disassociation between on-court performance and recruiting. If we're 4th in the B1G with our absurd youth next season, we've already arrived at the thing we're hoping for recruiting to bring us, namely a big-time competitive roster now and for the future.

With KY one and dones Whitney might see immediate pt (besides being his dream school). Shannon is probably good enough to start at DePaul.

These kids know there's only 2 scholarships available here for next year and this roster is very young. Which means when they arrive they will be a year behind talented players who will be here 2-4 years.
Neither Whitney nor Shannon was worried about getting playing time at Illinois. That's nonsense.

Deleted member 653277

D
Neither Whitney nor Shannon was worried about getting playing time at Illinois. That's nonsense.

Nonsense? Most kids don't wanna compete for playing time. How is it nonsense?

illini80

Forgottonia
I need to find a new hobby. It already feels like this recruiting season will go into the spring of 2019. I don't think I really want another 10 months of this. EJ or Timme would change things, but I don't see a reason to think we have a strong chance with either. Timme has said some nice things, followed by I don't really know much about Illinois.

TS is the kind of player we should land regularly without fanfare.

Deleted member 643761

D
Nonsense? Most kids don't wanna compete for playing time. How is it nonsense?
Most kids aren't worried about getting playing time. That's why the rich get richer.

Nevertheless shannon seems to be concerned from his comments more so than most. But no telling if his comments really reflect all that went into this.

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
Nothing against Shannon but I personally didnt see the hype. If the kid could shoot the ball yes. He cant though. Nor could Cliff Alexander and people thought he was a one and done. I never did or will for guys that cant shoot unless they are 7ft.i I trust BU but I want shooters. Players like Michigan gets. We need shooters that are long and can dribble. It's easier to learn to pass m dribble than shoot. I want him because I trust BU but Iam not a upset over losing Shannon. I want shooters and if he will be there will have to be major changes made

WHO LET REASON IN???? WE SUCK OUR STAFF CAN'T RECRUIT!!! RAWR! :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.