Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (August 2018)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan

Admin
First confirmed 2019 official visit appears to be Jason Jitoboh [twitter]

All four official visit dates for 2019 four-star big, Jason Jitoboh:

Dates have been confirmed:

9/14-9/16: Tennessee
10/5-10/7: Florida
10/11-10/13: Illinois
11/8-11/10: Louisville

I saw a different floor than you did. The improvements with lesser talent than previously seen was remarkable. The amount of hustle and defense was inspiring. I was not unhappy with several of our players and I did NOT see the “give up” mentality from a couple of seasons past.

I agree with this. I hear a coach who knows how he wants to win ball games, articulates it clearly, and is trying to get the players to buy into that system. Now whether it works or not is a totally different "ball game". But I saw a team last year that never gave up, and was very close to winning games they shouldn't have. Had we not played the style of ball we did I believe these same guys would have been blown off the floor more often than not.

sacraig

The desert

But, but, but...

This doesn't match the narrative that we have no other good irons left in the fire other than the few mentioned here over the past two days.

But, but, but...

This doesn't match the narrative that we have no other good irons left in the fire other than the few mentioned here over the past two days.

That's because the problem with narratives is that we all write our own for our own reasons, no one else's applies. Of course this is only my version...

foby

Bonnaroo Land
But, but, but...

"As the MIF Turns" is the highest rated program in this thread. Without it, some posters would have a lot less content to post over and over and over and over.....

...so have we fired everybody and quit this upcoming sea
I’ve been on Twitter a lot lately and I almost wonder if the passion our fans have in tweeting replies to these kids comes off as more desperation than passion...

Something, something, "too thirsty", something, something.

For all the angst and concern in this thread, I am not going to worry about this until I see more than one season on the court. Hard to believe Coach U is terrible after just one year. I too like the fact that we were in almost every game last year, minimized blowouts, and had a plan though the kids did not execute it. Stick with it and go forward.
I know that the players hate U's abrasive personality, U hates recruiting, U teaches a system that cannot win championships, and is paid way too much money. But oddly, I feel really good about UI BB at this point.

As this sits, I believe quite firmly that TSJ to DePaul is being overblown by not only us, but by analysts as well.

I'm surprised how quickly everyone forgot the fact that Tevian Jones is also an athletic marvel, and that Alan Griffen is literally an elite, and I mean elite shooter. I live streamed several of his HS games and this is a baaaaaad man. Dude was making the net sneeze.

Personally, I am ecstatic with our wing players. The four perimeter spots on the offense are "positionless" and we have Trent, Ayo, Damonte, Alan, and Tevian who are all freshman or sophomores.

Bigs need to be the focus.

With the upgraded athleticism and talent we already have after year one, I cannot wait to see the defense cause even more havoc and disruption. The offense goes without saying.

Since the great 89' team we have had two teams that were competitive at the highest level of CBB. The Peoria Trio and the Dee/Deron teams.
As this sits, I believe quite firmly that TSJ to DePaul is being overblown by not only us, but by analysts as well.

I'm surprised how quickly everyone forgot the fact that Tevian Jones is also an athletic marvel, and that Alan Griffen is literally an elite, and I mean elite shooter. I live streamed several of his HS games and this is a baaaaaad man. Dude was making the net sneeze.

Personally, I am ecstatic with our wing players. The four perimeter spots on the offense are "positionless" and we have Trent, Ayo, Damonte, Alan, and Tevian who are all freshman or sophomores.

Bigs need to be the focus.

With the upgraded athleticism and talent we already have after year one, I cannot wait to see the defense cause even more havoc and disruption. The offense goes without saying.

Great post, I've been saying the same thing to no avail. There are some schools where a player is willing to sit for a season. But even at the Blue bloods these players will transfer. Kipper is eligible to stay for two more seasons and with the bigs we have landed and are pursuing he may play more SF along with Tevian. AGriff also might earn lots of minutes if he continues to stroke the 3.

But, but, but...

Is this a good iron in the fire? Or is this another Elias Valtonen where we're just throwing OV's around like candy to anyone who will take them even if it's not likely to lead to a commitment? The latter is where we were last year at this time as that list that has made the rounds indicates. But if anyone has more info on this kid I'd be glad to hear it. Position of need and the offer list speaks volumes.

Can someone remind me why everyone believes the Illini are supposed to have this magical pipeline with the Mac Irvin Fire? Was there an article that outlined this? Did someone on here say it was so, then taken as gospel?

We used one of our three slots and gave a significant chunk of our large assistant salary pool to a dubiously qualified recent former head coach of the MIF which was followed shortly by the successful and remarkably low-drama recruitment of our most highly touted player in years who played both high school and AAU ball for the Irvins, and then followed that up with chaotic and shambolic recruiting efforts everywhere else, including a bizarre 11th hour backroom drama involving a rival local player.

I don't know what people are referring to when they use the word "pipeline", nor do I claim to know exactly what the behind the scenes discussions and promises were that led to Coleman's hiring, but for goodness sakes can we stop being so precious about it? We leveraged our assistant salary resources to gain some degree of preferential access to an important local talent source, at the very least involving one obviously prominent recruit at the time of BU's hiring. That's nothing unusual, to be ashamed of, or if we're careful anything the NCAA can get us on. So enough with the cutesy stuff.

sacraig

The desert
Can someone remind me why everyone believes the Illini are supposed to have this magical pipeline with the Mac Irvin Fire? Was there an article that outlined this? Did someone on here say it was so, then taken as gospel?

It is 100% speculation based on other bits of information that are, themselves, like 75% speculation.

sacraig

The desert
Is this a good iron in the fire? Or is this another Elias Valtonen where we're just throwing OV's around like candy to anyone who will take them even if it's not likely to lead to a commitment? The latter is where we were last year at this time as that list that has made the rounds indicates. But if anyone has more info on this kid I'd be glad to hear it. Position of need and the offer list speaks volumes.

Well, he's got a bit more impressive of an offer list than Valtonen, so I take that as a good thing. 247 and Rivals don't have him ranked, so I don't know what to interpret there, but if Louisville and Florida want him, we are in pretty decent company.

Well, you've certainly learned that there are some people on here that don't know what they're talking about.

We used one of our three slots and gave a significant chunk of our large assistant salary pool to a dubiously qualified recent former head coach of the MIF which was followed shortly by the successful and remarkably low-drama recruitment of our most highly touted player in years who played both high school and AAU ball for the Irvins, and then followed that up with chaotic and shambolic recruiting efforts everywhere else, including a bizarre 11th hour backroom drama involving a rival local player.

I don't know what people are referring to when they use the word "pipeline", nor do I claim to know exactly what the behind the scenes discussions and promises were that led to Coleman's hiring, but for goodness sakes can we stop being so precious about it? We leveraged our assistant salary resources to gain some degree of preferential access to an important local talent source, at the very least involving one obviously prominent recruit at the time of BU's hiring. That's nothing unusual, to be ashamed of, or if we're careful anything the NCAA can get us on. So enough with the cutesy stuff.
You throw these opinions out as fact, but you never, ever back them up with verifiable facts, articles, quotes from actual prospects, or parents. If you choose to believe the O'briens, the wormers go right ahead. They think they have something to gain by stirring up hit seeking articles. What do you have to gain by being constantly negative? Attention? It is like you are trying way to hard to make something out of every little thing, which might be of consequence, or not. Other than constantly looking for the worst possible scenario, and letting everyone know how terrible our staff is, you serve absolutely, no purpose. Provide no verifiable information. I think everyone here is quite capable of imagining the worst possible outcome without it being delivered by you multiple times daily.

But, but, but...

Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure he's a three star big on every site except ESPN. I wouldn't trust ESPN on anyone outside the top 100 these days.

Recruiting the Illini way. “Expect the worst & be very surprised if we get a top recruit.”

You throw these opinions out as fact, but you never, ever back them up with verifiable facts, articles, quotes from actual prospects, or parents. If you choose to believe the O'briens, the wormers go right ahead. They think they have something to gain by stirring up hit seeking articles. What do you have to gain by being constantly negative? Attention? It is like you are trying way to hard to make something out of every little thing, which might be of consequence, or not. Other than constantly looking for the worst possible scenario, and letting everyone know how terrible our staff is, you serve absolutely, no purpose. Provide no verifiable information. I think everyone here is quite capable of imagining the worst possible outcome without it being delivered by you multiple times daily.

Thank you. POTD

So in summary.... Chin is a good hire. I don't know him, but he does seem to have the making of a really good recruiter. For S&C...sorry if I missed your point:)

sacraig

The desert
Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure he's a three star big on every site except ESPN. I wouldn't trust ESPN on anyone outside the top 100 these days.

His offer list is solid. I weight that more than stars, personally.

Deleted member 643761

D
Perhaps, but what common tread do you apply to Alabama or UW? You can cry $ all you want but please explain that instead of a lazy rebuttal that simply insinuates that everyone else must be cheating besides us.

Really? The only thing Coleman brings is a connection to the Irvins?

Last year was chaotic. Not much left for BU and needing to make new connections etc. It really isn't hard to figure out for most of us.

Since losing shannon has you apoplectic tell us what would make you happy. I wonder if a shannon commitment would be greeted by you with disdain.

KrushCow31

Former Krush Cow
Chicago, IL

How in the heck does a guy with an official schedule like that not have a rivals or 247 ranking?

My hot take is that we aren't going to get these "should get" 4-stars in our back yard until we start to contend in the B1G on a regular basis and, you know, have a postseason.
We obviously missed on Shannon, but I'm not buying we lost to DePaul because we haven't won on the court. That's my hot take.

Since losing shannon has you apoplectic tell us what would make you happy. I wonder if a shannon commitment would be greeted by you with disdain.

I'm not all that broken up about Shannon. Would have been a nice get but we're in decent shape on the wing.

What would make me happy is the following:

1. Sign two quality bigs in the fall
2. Improve upon last year's performance
3. Show improvement as the season progresses
4. Show greater comprehension and sharpness running the Underwood system, particularly on offense
5. At some point make a staff change or two to add experienced teachers of the Underwood system
and most importantly
6. KEEP ALL THE PRODUCTIVE GUYS FOR THE YEAR AFTER

If we can do those things I'll have done a 180, because as of today I remain utterly resolute in my conviction that Underwood has real deal coaching chops (unlike his predecessor) and is a great fit for the job and the right man to lead us going forward.

What gets me disdainful is the utterly preposterous, logically swiss cheese excuse making on here. The house is on fire. Things have been going terribly. Credit will come when credit is deserved.

Deleted member 2050

D

Thanks for the info, though what what is the cutesy stuff? Dumb it down for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.