Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (August 2018)

Status
Not open for further replies.
#1,127      

jmilt7

Waukegan
The following wing offerees named their final 5 (10) and we were not in the group:
Malik Hall-TX, Purdue, MSU, Oregon and Oklahoma
Ish Massoud-Harvard, GT, WF, Rutgers and Auburn
Jahmius Ramsey-Florida,TT, IU, Miami, Oregon, LSU, Miami,Louisville, Mempiss, +Syracuse

And Jalen Lecque - NC State, Louisville, Tennessee, Oregon, TCU, UCLA and Texas Tech

#1,128      
Pretty sure Illinois doesn’t have any crystal balls for any 2019 recruiting target right now. Can anyone confirm?

#1,131      
I only want recruits that are 5 stars and will only consider playing for UI. If they take a recruiting call from another team then pull that offer! That's how recruits will know we are tough!

We will fill up all our schollies by September once recruits realize how tough we are, and then I expect Luther Head to pay tuition for all the 5* recruits that walk on. /r

(/r for real talk)

I'd prefer our coaching staff treat recruits like the girls who are out of our league. We reject them before they get the chance to reject us! That'll learn'em!
/iak

(/iak for I Ain't Kidding)

#1,132      

ivwilsoniv

Aurora, IL
I'm going to put on my UI/HCBU hat and respond to this Shannon development. 1. We offered and you chose elsewhere. 2. When you chose elsewhere we marked you off our list and prioritized some other recruits. 3. Said recruits would get pissed if we came back and said, 'Hey, things have changed, forget our last conversation.' 4. We now know Shannon's commitment can't be trusted. 5. Parents obviously have a lot of pull in this recruitment. Is either parent Pro-Illini? no.... 6. This isn't a 5 star, or high 4 star recruit, can I/we (HCBU/UI) afford to look beholden to lesser recruits by jumping back into this saga? For this particular recruit, no! 7. This is a golden opportunity to set the example that we want our recruits to be as serious about UI as the UI is serious about them. I'd love to have him, but that opportunity has passed..... Next???

Granted, being a 5 star or higher 4 star, or the player playing a critical position of need, changes the dynamics quite a bit. In this case, in this situation. I pass.....

All recruits know that each situation is fluid and that any university is also recruiting other kids who change their mind. We talk endlessly about wanting the top in-state talent to come to Illinois, but in certain instances, we're ready to just pass because the kid is indecisive and wants to make sure he's making the right decision for his future? Not sure what exactly you're expecting? You don't want him to commit to Illinois because he might de-commit? To whom exactly are we "setting an example." Recruiting doesn't work like this...

#1,133      
I feel for any program who locks up a guy they want, then the player decommits. It's happened to the Illini and it wasn't a good feeling. I by no means have an inside track on why it happened, but whatever the reason, unless there is something underhanded at play by an outside program, I believe its the players right t until he officially signs. That being said, in my opinion, this isn't a strike against Shannon in my opinion and should he choose the Illini, I would welcome him with open arms.

#1,135      

TownieMatt

CU Expat
Chicago
I feel for any program who locks up a guy they want, then the player decommits. It's happened to the Illini and it wasn't a good feeling. I by no means have an inside track on why it happened, but whatever the reason, unless there is something underhanded at play by an outside program, I believe its the players right t until he officially signs. That being said, in my opinion, this isn't a strike against Shannon in my opinion and should he choose the Illini, I would welcome him with open arms.
I've heard that the deal with Shannon is that family haven't been on the same page. Don't know the dynamics, but that's what I've heard.

It frustrates me when things like this happen and fans immediately rush to judgement on a kid without knowing any of the details. I know it looks bad on the kid from the outside, but it's often the adults involved that are to blame.

It was reported that Chin reached out yesterday. It will be telling to see what happens next. If he schedules officials, I think it signals that his recruitment really is back open. If it stays quite for a few weeks, it's likely an indication that he already know where he's going (I'd assume FSU in that scenario).

#1,136      

DoctorOrange

Chicago, IL
Hope not, that's not what I was going for. If I was going to compare DePaul to a branch of the service, it'd probably be more along the lines of the Coast Guard or something.

How about the Space Force? No one can be offended by that right?

Edit: Looks like I lost the space (force) race

#1,138      
Off topic. Buddy of mine Uber's in California and picked up Darius Paul. He told him Jalen Brunson was a lock until he got kicked off the team. I'm a young newbie and would love some insight. Also mentioned Chicago kids do not want to go to Illinois whatsoever. Brandon only came because he didn't have any blue blood offers. Thought it was interesting enough to post.

#1,139      
I'm going to put on my UI/HCBU hat and respond to this Shannon development. 1. We offered and you chose elsewhere. 2. When you chose elsewhere we marked you off our list and prioritized some other recruits. 3. Said recruits would get pissed if we came back and said, 'Hey, things have changed, forget our last conversation.' 4. We now know Shannon's commitment can't be trusted. 5. Parents obviously have a lot of pull in this recruitment. Is either parent Pro-Illini? no.... 6. This isn't a 5 star, or high 4 star recruit, can I/we (HCBU/UI) afford to look beholden to lesser recruits by jumping back into this saga? For this particular recruit, no! 7. This is a golden opportunity to set the example that we want our recruits to be as serious about UI as the UI is serious about them. I'd love to have him, but that opportunity has passed..... Next???

+1

I did the same thing with Scarlett Johansson. I asked her out to dinner and she waffled on me. It just wasn't the same after that cause I'd already marked her off my list.

#1,140      
Off topic. Buddy of mine Uber's in California and picked up Darius Paul. He told him Jalen Brunson was a lock until he got kicked off the team. I'm a young newbie and would love some insight. Also mentioned Chicago kids do not want to go to Illinois whatsoever. Brandon only came because he didn't have any blue blood offers. Thought it was interesting enough to post.

DP was probably high.

Jk, kind of, but I wouldn't think Darius Pau would be a huge deciding factor in a guy like Jalen Brunson's decision. Who knows. Also, nearly all (maybe a slight exaggeration, but definitely a lot) of recruits wouldn't have gone to *whatever school they chose* if they had a blue blood offer.

#1,142      
College bball has always benefited those who either cheat or operate within the gray. To add additional academic requirements or standards is honorable and decent, just enjoy the bottom of the league. So to those who say we walk from Shannon, I say history is not on your side. If he is a recruit that will help the program, I say we go after him. Lots of Malcolm Hill to his game IMHO.

#1,143      

Deleted member 8213

D
+1

I did the same thing with Scarlett Johansson. I asked her out to dinner and she waffled on me. It just wasn't the same after that cause I'd already marked her off my list.

She had her chance that's what I say same thing with me and Upton... I want supermodels who want to be with me!!! :oops:

#1,146      
I've heard that the deal with Shannon is that family haven't been on the same page. Don't know the dynamics, but that's what I've heard.
Wait up there. I was instructed not that long ago on this site that parents don't play much of a role in where their child goes to school.

#1,147      
This is not the way I heard it at all...in fact, it's pretty much the opposite.

#1,150      
Paul's actions not his departure brought some concerns to parents if I recall. Remember he was let go twice. He would of helped the Illini, so it sounds like a person full of regret and revisionist history.

Status
Not open for further replies.