Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (September 2018)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sacraig

The desert
BU could certainly point to his own NBA players in return. It's a shorter list, but it's also a shorter career as head coach. In the words of one Willard Smith, "it ain't over until the fat lady sings."

giphy.gif

I wonder if the poor shooting mechanics is a result of the "AAU effect". Kids play a lot of basketball, but how much time do they spend on fundamentals? Before I watched Shannon's tape, I was expecting much worse in the way of form. It is similar to Ayo's in terms of release point. He does create backspin, so I'd think there is hope on improvement. I guess the great athletes are allowed to get away with poor skills. But, that will eventually come into play as they move up the competition ladder.

Good post, but a few clarifications. There are hundreds of AAU team across the US, but what many posters/fans consider AAU (with all the negative connotations) is the top-50 or top-75 showcase shoe sponsored programs. Many of "other" AAU programs focus on development of skills, thus it is important to find the correct program fit.

Once kids get into the recruiting zone (really some sophomores and beyond) and are candidates for Div. I scholarship, they have to play for one of the showcase programs. Given current recruiting dynamics, it is difficult for coaches to attend ALL AAU events, so they prefer the high end showcase events where they can see multiple (high) ranked players at the same time. Unfortunately, this is something that is difficult to change.

Some highly ranked players do focus on development of their skills, often working out with a skills coach, or even practicing regularly with "other" AAU teams in parallel to playing for a showcase AAU team. But quite a few do fall into the trap that you mention of just playing on showcase AAU teams that, by default, spend less time on skills development. They do some development, but the focus of those programs is to assemble competitive teams that can participate on the higher end tournaments (e.g., Peach Jam, etc.) often with players from multiple states/locations who rarely practice together.

Last edited:
That comes from kids shooting 3's at a real early age and having to "shotput" it up there due to lack of strength. You are right, hopefully the Illini shot doctors can correct that low and slow release, because that will not work in HM competition.

If that is the reason for TS's mechanics, there is a good chance of improvement imo. He has an NBA frame--if he becomes a highly skilled shooter I would say he makes it to the NBA.

Tacomallini

Washington State
Somehow I hadn't watched a good tape of TSJ until now. If for no other reason I want this kid because he yells when he dunks. Can't think of anyone we've had since Augustine that did that. Also LOL @1:29.

1:29 is pretty good. The Illini have needed some players with a chip on their shoulder for a few years now...hope we see some more swag and cockiness on the court this year. One of the UI recruit highlight videos had me pretty excited this past year, but can't remember the player. Does Higgs beat down his dunks like the rim owes him money?

Tacomallini

Washington State
actually getting one definitely increases our chances of getting another in that group

I really hope Ayo and Shannon are tight, and their MIF connection helps Shannon have a really good weekend, leading the other 2 recruits to have a good time this weekend, leading to 3 verbals which help UI get that national championship 2-3 years down the road.

I really hope Ayo and Shannon are tight, and their MIF connection helps Shannon have a really good weekend, leading the other 2 recruits to have a good time this weekend, leading to 3 verbals which help UI get that national championship 2-3 years down the road.

Shannon is all but done imo. EJ is one we have to hope for. He will help with others we are after.

Good post, but a few clarifications. There are hundreds of AAU team across the US, but what many posters/fans consider AAU (with all the negative connotations) is the top-50 or top-75 showcase shoe sponsored programs. Many of "other" AAU programs focus on development of skills, thus it is important to find the correct program fit.

Once kids get into the recruiting zone (really some sophomores and beyond) and are candidates for Div. I scholarship, they have to play for one of the showcase programs. Given current recruiting dynamics, it is difficult for coaches to attend ALL AAU events, so they prefer the high end showcase events where they can see multiple (high) ranked players at the same time. Unfortunately, this is something that is difficult to change.

Some highly ranked players do focus on development of their skills, often working out with a skills coach, or even practicing regularly with "other" AAU teams in parallel to playing for a showcase AAU team. But quite a few do fall into the trap that you mention of just playing on showcase AAU teams that, by default, spend less time on skills development. They do some development, but the focus of those programs is to assemble competitive teams that can participate on the higher end tournaments (e.g., Peach Jam, etc.) often with players from multiple states/locations who rarely practice together.

And if you want to know why kids do this, consider that Terrence Shannon dominated for his entire high school season at Lincoln Park High School in Chicago, not exactly a "hidden" place, and had no D1 offers to show for it. He goes to a couple of tournaments with the Mac Irvin Fire and a plethora of major conference schools are all over him.

The AAU hype machine works.

Serious question: Is this allowed under recruiting rules?

Full disclosure--Legally I don't know. And I guess with the NCAA speculation about what makes sense and doesn't should be thrown out the window but...

Why not? Are kids not supposed to want good players on their teams? All Ayo was asking for was showing love to those guys, whatever you wanna interpret that as.

I don't think players talking about recruits is against any rules. I can't imagine it is. How do 300+ teams deal with 10+ kids each not saying a word about recruits on twitter.

Heck, I'd even say if Ayo wanted to buy them all lunch it would be in accordance. Why should the NCAA dictate what a player says or does with a recruit, as long as it's kosher. Maybe that caveat is why those things aren't legal (again, I'm just speculating), but it seems too authoritarian, even for the NCAA.

sacraig

The desert
Full disclosure--Legally I don't know. And I guess with the NCAA speculation about what makes sense and doesn't should be thrown out the window but...

Why not? Are kids not supposed to want good players on their teams? All Ayo was asking for was showing love to those guys, whatever you wanna interpret that as.

I don't think players talking about recruits is against any rules. I can't imagine it is. How do 300+ teams deal with 10+ kids each not saying a word about recruits on twitter.

Heck, I'd even say if Ayo wanted to buy them all lunch it would be in accordance. Why should the NCAA dictate what a player says or does with a recruit, as long as it's kosher. Maybe that caveat is why those things aren't legal (again, I'm just speculating), but it seems too authoritarian, even for the NCAA.

Right, but I thought the names of unsigned recruits weren't allowed to be mentioned by the teams publicly. I mean, there are all sorts of esoteric rules like that and I won't even pretend to understand them.

Right, but I thought the names of unsigned recruits weren't allowed to be mentioned by the teams publicly. I mean, there are all sorts of esoteric rules like that and I won't even pretend to understand them.

I think the staff can say they are recruiting a player by name, but nothing else.

Serious question: Is this allowed under recruiting rules?

Interesting question, a tough one. Social media NCAA rules are wishy-washy on the subject but I found the following document from Stanford regarding NCAA violations on social media.

https://stanford_ftp.sidearmsports.com/Compliance/SocialMediaTipsheet.pdf

According to this document, it may be a minor violation but not explicitly.

• A current student-athlete may communicate with prospects via social media as long as the communication is not at the direction of a coach/staff member and is not related to the prospect’s recruitment."
  • We cannot communicate publicly with any prospects or their relatives (e.g., posts to prospect’s Twitter page or Facebook wall, Facebook “Likes”, Twitter “Favorites”, public chat rooms, re-tweeting a prospect’s tweet, or posting any other message to a prospect that is accessible to other users).

Interesting question, a tough one. Social media NCAA rules are wishy-washy on the subject but I found the following document from Stanford regarding NCAA violations on social media.

https://stanford_ftp.sidearmsports.com/Compliance/SocialMediaTipsheet.pdf

According to this document, it may be a minor violation but not explicitly.

• A current student-athlete may communicate with prospects via social media as long as the communication is not at the direction of a coach/staff member and is not related to the prospect’s recruitment."
  • We cannot communicate publicly with any prospects or their relatives (e.g., posts to prospect’s Twitter page or Facebook wall, Facebook “Likes”, Twitter “Favorites”, public chat rooms, re-tweeting a prospect’s tweet, or posting any other message to a prospect that is accessible to other users).

I'm assuming the "We" in the second bullet point refers to the coaches/staff, and not players. Otherwise, those two points seem pretty contradictory. Secondly, that underlined portion is probably the most important. Technically, Ayo can just say that he's friends with those guys and wants his followers to show them love. He didn't say "show them love so that they come to Illinois."

Very gray area, but that is where recruiting lives.

1:29 is pretty good. The Illini have needed some players with a chip on their shoulder for a few years now...hope we see some more swag and cockiness on the court this year. One of the UI recruit highlight videos had me pretty excited this past year, but can't remember the player. Does Higgs beat down his dunks like the rim owes him money?

Maybe this guy?

t7nich

Central IL
Does the Mac Irvin Fire coaching staff teach that shoot-from-the-middle-of-your-chest style? Seems like there are some similarities between Ayo and TSJ's shots, and neither form looks great. (Granted, I haven't seen Ayo shoot since the Wizards in Champaign have been able to work with him. I'm sure it's pure and high now.)

Ayo changed his shot before he got to Champaign. It looks much better. How effective is it these days, that I can't say.

Status
Not open for further replies.