Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (September 2018)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan

Admin
-----------------------------------------------------------
Upcoming Illinois Official Visits

Quincy Guerrier_____2019 F____Oct. 5th-7th_____No football game
Jason Jitoboh_______2019 C____Oct. 12th________Homecoming weekend

* Dates are approximate. Official Visits can last up to 48 hours.

Recently Completed Illinois Official Visits

EJ Liddell (Committed to Ohio State on Oct. 1st)
Terrence Shannon
Oscar Tshiebwe
Anthony Walker

rbachhuber's Scholarship Grid
Updated 10/01/2018

Recruiting Calendar | Recruiting FAQs

Last edited:

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
If Liddell doesn't commit (to OSU) this week, maybe, just maybe, we have a reasonable shot. Pretty, pretty please!

FWIW, I think he's going to be a destroyer at this level.

If Liddell doesn't commit (to OSU) this week, maybe, just maybe, we have a reasonable shot. Pretty, pretty please!

FWIW, I think he's going to be a destroyer at this level.

From what I had heard before his OV to tOSU, he will not commit this weekend, will definitely take his OV to Missouri. But a long way until his Illinois visit.

Illini Official Visits Tracker

Anthony Walker______2019 F____Sept. 6th________ Would love to have
Oscar Tshiebwe______2019 C____Sept. 21st_______ Would love to have
Terrence Shannon____2019 F____Sept. 21st_______ Think we have a shot
Quincy Guerrier_____2019 F____Oct. 5th-7th_____ Would be a very good start to 2019
EJ Liddell__________2019 PF___Oct. 12th________ Actually still think we can land?
Jason Jitoboh_______2019 C____Oct. 12th________ Very over-hyped, least interested out of group

tOSU breaking out the 2019 Burger Boys to help recruit EJL. KBD also returned to CBus to help.

Screen Shot 2018-09-02 at 10.25.35 AM.png

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
Mebbe the fact that OSU is first and foremost a football school (and hoops is an afterthought) will give Liddell pause. Plus, it will be a heck of a lot easier for his parents to attend games in CU (or Columbia, for that matter).

Mebbe the fact that OSU is first and foremost a football school (and hoops is an afterthought) will give Liddell pause. Plus, it will be a heck of a lot easier for his parents to attend games in CU (or Columbia, for that matter).

He has Liddell interest in coming here. I would give the EJ to OSU.

Deleted member 4333

D
Illini Official Visits Tracker

Anthony Walker______2019 F____Sept. 6th________Western Illinois game weekend
Oscar Tshiebwe______2019 C____Sept. 21st_______Penn State game weekend
Terrence Shannon____2019 F____Sept. 21st_______Penn State game weekend
Quincy Guerrier_____2019 F____Oct. 5th-7th_____No football game
EJ Liddell__________2019 PF___Oct. 12th________Homecoming weekend
Jason Jitoboh_______2019 C____Oct. 12th________Homecoming weekend

rbachhuber's Scholarship Grid
Updated 08/27/2018

Recruiting Calendar | Recruiting FAQs

We also have an in-home scheduled with Drew Timme. BU has been recruiting him since his OSU days.

sacraig

The desert

OSU is first and foremost a football school, but let's not pretend that it is like Alabama where they don't even know what a ball is if it isn't oblong. OSU likes its basketball, too. Sure, you'd have to imagine that being a basketball school has its perks, but at the very least, OSU still actually likes basketball.

OSU is first and foremost a football school, but let's not pretend that it is like Alabama where they don't even know what a ball is if it isn't oblong. OSU likes its basketball, too. Sure, you'd have to imagine that being a basketball school has its perks, but at the very least, OSU still actually likes basketball.

Yeah, but given that Alabama made the NCAA tournament and have recruited very well under Avery Johnson, and are even off to a good 2019 recruiting start (2 top-100 recruits) it is not exactly easy to make fun of them right now or dismiss them in basketball.

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™

What's the joke about the 2 top sports in Texas? OSU is kinda like that. Hoops is second banana. But to your point, yes, OSU has a good track record in hoops, including glory days.

sacraig

The desert
Yeah, but given that Alabama made the NCAA tournament and have recruited very well under Avery Johnson, and are even off to a good 2019 recruiting start (2 top-100 recruits) it is not exactly easy to make fun of them right now or dismiss them in basketball.

You've missed my point entirely, then. I wasn't commenting on who is good at basketball and who isn't, or who is recruiting well and who isn't. I was commenting on the fans. Fans at OSU care about football first, but they do care about basketball. That's not true at Alabama (or a significant portion of the rest of the SEC).

You've missed my point entirely, then. I wasn't commenting on who is good at basketball and who isn't, or who is recruiting well and who isn't. I was commenting on the fans. Fans at OSU care about football first, but they do care about basketball. That's not true at Alabama (or a significant portion of the rest of the SEC).

I don't think that is true either. While Alabama basketball is not, and will never be Alabama Football in terms of interest, Avery Johnson has significantly elevated interest in the program with great attendance increases since taking over. Actually, according to the NCAA official statistics, Alabama ranked 22nd in the nation with an average attendance of 13,390 per game, pretty much on par with Ohio State which ranked 21st with an average attendance of 13,495. Unfortunately, we ranked below both schools with an average attendance of 12,613 (25th in the nation).

2018 NCAA Attendance Report

Last edited:
I don't think that is true either. While Alabama basketball is not, and will never be Alabama Football in terms of interest, Avery Johnson has significantly elevated interest in the program with great attendance increases since taking over. Actually, according to the NCAA official statistics, Alabama ranked 22nd in the nation with an average attendance of 13,390 per game, pretty much on par with Ohio State which ranked 21st with an average attendance of 13,495. Unfortunately, we ranked below both schools with an average attendance of 12,613 (25th in the nation).

2018 NCAA Attendance Report

You sir are incorrect with Avery Johnson significantly elevating anything at Alabama so far...at least long term anyway. He did get Sexton, that is about it.

In order Alabama, vs Ohio State, vs Illinois since 2013-2018

Average Basketball Attendence:

2013-#31-#9-#17
2014-#35-#8-#15
2015-#40-#16-#15
2016-#22-#28-#27- Alabama 2nd largest jump in nation (due to hiring a NBA pedigree coach)
2017-#27-#24-#30
2018-#22-#21-#25

Avery Johnson was hired in 2015, although the first year jumped with new hire, and sustained, I would not call it significant. The Ohio State went backward due to Matta love affair leaving, and well our ILLINI, went backwards due to well basketball product. Long term however, I would bet that The Ohio State and ILLINI will both outperform Alabama in significant attendance increases and sustainability, In order of "basketball vs football" schools, ILLINI, The Ohio State, and then Alabama, and it really isn't close...I would Lovie to prove us wrong soon...but well the CUBS won at least. We will see on the rest.

We also have an in-home scheduled with Drew Timme. BU has been recruiting him since his OSU days.

Based on how his in home visit would go, and also the fact that him and EJ have spoken about possibly playing together as well...I would think if all goes well then an official might be with Quincy G or the week after with EJ if JJ doesn't end up coming that weekend? Maybe all three, but I doubt it.

Would love love love a class of Timme, EJ, NnajiTscheibwe? Wouldn't we all

Deleted member 643761

D
You sir are incorrect with Avery Johnson significantly elevating anything at Alabama so far...at least long term anyway. He did get Sexton, that is about it.

In order Alabama, vs Ohio State, vs Illinois since 2013-2018

Average Basketball Attendence:

2013-#31-#9-#17
2014-#35-#8-#15
2015-#40-#16-#15
2016-#22-#28-#27- Alabama 2nd largest jump in nation (due to hiring a NBA pedigree coach)
2017-#27-#24-#30
2018-#22-#21-#25

Avery Johnson was hired in 2015, although the first year jumped with new hire, and sustained, I would not call it significant. The Ohio State went backward due to Matta love affair leaving, and well our ILLINI, went backwards due to well basketball product. Long term however, I would bet that The Ohio State and ILLINI will both outperform Alabama in significant attendance increases and sustainability, In order of "basketball vs football" schools, ILLINI, The Ohio State, and then Alabama, and it really isn't close...I would Lovie to prove us wrong soon...but well the CUBS won at least. We will see on the rest.
Well it's pretty much indisputable that he's elevated the program. Your numbers show that so I don't get why you say he didn't.

Long term who knows. I'd bet on illinois too but bama will still have made significant progress with their hire.

You sir are incorrect with Avery Johnson significantly elevating anything at Alabama so far... Avery Johnson was hired in 2015, although the first year jumped with new hire, and sustained, I would not call it significant.

Well, maybe you do not see it, but there not much you can argue that Avery Johnson has not significantly elevated interest in the program with great attendance increases since taking over. Numbers (and articles) speak for themselves.

http://sports.usatoday.com/2016/06/08/tide-hoops-attendance-sees-major-jump/

Does anyone know what Kahlil Whitney put up on Twitter(and then took down) that has people all fired up?

UofIChE06

Pittsburgh
I don't know what the relationship is like between Liddell and Whitney but either they are buddies messing around or it's pretty disrespectful.

What's the joke about the 2 top sports in Texas? OSU is kinda like that. Hoops is second banana. But to your point, yes, OSU has a good track record in hoops, including glory days.

They are miles ahead of us at the moment. The fact that football is bigger doesn't seem to hurt them.

Status
Not open for further replies.