Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (September 2018)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Excellent analysis!
Good analysis, but I disagree about feet pointing the basket while shooting. A slight turn is more natural, and in fact, most NBA and college players do this. High school stars as well.

Yes but it is not a general "show them love", it is "show them love all weekend" and given that they are on OV to Illinois this weekend and the post is directed to Illini, it is definitely related to the prospects' recruitment.

Oh there is no doubt that it is actually related to the recruitment, but the question is whether there is enough ambiguity to avoid any infraction? Which would likely be very minor even if there is.

Last edited:
Oh there is no doubt that it is actually related to the recruitment, but the question is whether there is enough ambiguity to avoid any infraction? Which, would likely be very minor even if there is.

Totally minor and insignificant for sure.

sacraig

The desert
Interesting question, a tough one. Social media NCAA rules are wishy-washy on the subject but I found the following document from Stanford regarding NCAA violations on social media.

https://stanford_ftp.sidearmsports.com/Compliance/SocialMediaTipsheet.pdf

According to this document, it may be a minor violation but not explicitly.

• A current student-athlete may communicate with prospects via social media as long as the communication is not at the direction of a coach/staff member and is not related to the prospect’s recruitment."
  • We cannot communicate publicly with any prospects or their relatives (e.g., posts to prospect’s Twitter page or Facebook wall, Facebook “Likes”, Twitter “Favorites”, public chat rooms, re-tweeting a prospect’s tweet, or posting any other message to a prospect that is accessible to other users).

So what you're telling me is it depends on how plausibly deniable it is that this is related to the prospects' recruitments?

God bless the NCAA and their totally sensible rules.

Interesting question, a tough one. Social media NCAA rules are wishy-washy on the subject but I found the following document from Stanford regarding NCAA violations on social media.

https://stanford_ftp.sidearmsports.com/Compliance/SocialMediaTipsheet.pdf

According to this document, it may be a minor violation but not explicitly.

• A current student-athlete may communicate with prospects via social media as long as the communication is not at the direction of a coach/staff member and is not related to the prospect’s recruitment."
  • We cannot communicate publicly with any prospects or their relatives (e.g., posts to prospect’s Twitter page or Facebook wall, Facebook “Likes”, Twitter “Favorites”, public chat rooms, re-tweeting a prospect’s tweet, or posting any other message to a prospect that is accessible to other users).
I would argue he isn't tweeting to the recruits, he is technically tweeting to Illini fans. Not his fault if the recruits happen to see it.

If that tweet wasn't allowed the Illinois athletics compliance department would have had it deleted within minutes. If it's still up it's safe to assume it's okay.

Not the one I was thinking of (but definitely some swag there too). It was this video of Higgs where he's dunking on the rim like it owes him $10 and it's suppertime. I just hope he didn't have too many suppers before showing up on campus. https://www.hudl.com/video/3/5000019/587c78afb018fc28e453c6a9

Higgs looks so much worse now than when this was assembled he has to weigh 30 more lbs but that makes me love this recruit more. Talk about a diamond in the rough. If Higgs could cut weight to get in shape like this and add muscle which every single Illini has done since Fletch landed here, my God this is the kind of kid who could dominate in Underwood's system. I see the attraction.

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
Higgs looks so much worse now than when this was assembled he has to weigh 30 more lbs but that makes me love this recruit more. Talk about a diamond in the rough. If Higgs could cut weight to get in shape like this and add muscle which every single Illini has done since Fletch landed here, my God this is the kind of kid who could dominate in Underwood's system. I see the attraction.

He's not going to have a choice......

Htuo.gif

Appreciate the feedback some have given. I am trying to improve day-by-day so that I can highlight what BU is doing #everydayguy

I think you're wrong. I think, hope, believe EJ is coming to Illinois!

Shannon gets overlooked a bit, IMO. Rivals has Liddell as #43 and Shannon as #45. Shannon has moved up 27 spots recently. We should be really excited if we get Shannon. Of course, we all want more.

Many services have Shannon out of the top 100. Others have him around 75. I think Rivals is nuts about Shannon myself. Regardless of rank, I am not big on guards on small wings that cannot shoot. But I am sure Shannon is a solid player.

Many services have Shannon out of the top 100. Others have him around 75. I think Rivals is nuts about Shannon myself. Regardless of rank, I am not big on guards on small wings that cannot shoot. But I am sure Shannon is a solid player.

We’re calling a 6’6 Shannon a small wing?

Status
Not open for further replies.