Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (October 2018)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think this quote reflects the misguided and unsupported arrogance that the fans feel good about but has gotten us to this place with recruiting. We all want it to be true but it isn’t. It’s fan bait drivel.

No elite recruit is pounding down our door. If we want to recruit low level guys, no problem. But the high talent recruits unfortunately really do need to be convinced to come here. They make every school beg. We’re no different.

Sad but true. Groce said something similar.

“I’m not going to fill a roster spot just to fill a roster spot,” Groce said. “I don’t want to patch the dam or Band-Aid something. That’s not what we’re trying to do. (Scholarships) are like gold.”

The only time our online presence has impacted a recruitment. NICE!
nice_niccce_south_park.gif

Sad but true. Groce said something similar.

“I’m not going to fill a roster spot just to fill a roster spot,” Groce said. “I don’t want to patch the dam or Band-Aid something. That’s not what we’re trying to do. (Scholarships) are like gold.”
tenor.gif

And yet we can't seem to find anyone to take our gold.

So the last 2 guys are making their decision when?

I don't know which 2 guys you are referencing, but I will just list the announcement dates for kids that are coming soon.

Anthony Walker - October 20th

Quincy Guerrier - End of October

Oscar - October 20th

TSJ - November 1st

Once all of those kids commit, the main targets left on the board are Drew Timme, Kofi Cockburn, Tre Mitchell.

Said it a couple weeks ago we are possibly looking at not getting a single player in the early signing period and trying to piece together
a recruiting class in the spring from what is left over. Not a good way to build a program and get back to the tournament especially when we have to
get a legitimate big in this recruiting cycle

Said it a couple weeks ago we are possibly looking at not getting a single player in the early signing period and trying to piece together
a recruiting class in the spring from what is left over. Not a good way to build a program and get back to the tournament especially when we have to
get a legitimate big in this recruiting cycle

I really hope this does not happen if only for the fact that some fans will begin calling for a new head coach, especially if we finish around 13th in the BIG this year as most preseason rankings are indicating. Underwood deserves more time - I just hope he gets it.

Epsilon

M tipping over
Pdx
I really hope this does not happen if only for the fact that some fans will begin calling for a new head coach, especially if we finish around 13th in the BIG this year as most preseason rankings are indicating. Underwood deserves more time - I just hope he gets it.
If we assemble a crummy recruiting class AND finish 13th in the B1G, I will be very disappointed. I think rumblings would be appropriate in that case.

Very interesting timing for an OV with both Oscar and Walker committing on Saturday while Timme is on OV.

Looking like Timme is now priority number 1.

BU landing Timme... now that is a game changer. :shield:

So it’s looking like we’re going onto next repeat rinse repeat

Biggest visit of the year? I wonder if he will have a workout at Ubben that's open to the public?

BillyBob1

Champaign
Very interesting timing for an OV with both Oscar and Walker committing on Saturday while Timme is on OV.

Looking like Timme is now priority number 1.

BU landing Timme... now that is a game changer. :shield:

Don’t you think Timme was a top priority all along? He fits the system and is a position of need.

Don’t you think Timme was a top priority all along? He fits the system and is a position of need.

I think Indy's implication is not that Timme was not a priority but since Oscat T and Walker are announcing while he is visiting, they are not likely coming here. Thus, Timme (who was a priority along with them) becomes priority number 1.

Dbell1981

Decatur, IL
Oscar said he wasnt informing any school staff until Wednesday. I'm hoping coach will be able to tell Timme, "Oscar is on board, you are the final piece to the puzzle".

If it is true that Oscar is telling the various schools on Wednesday, leaks will occur long before Timme arrives. Also, I hope people aren't disappointed but it's not looking good for TSJ.

Dbell1981

Decatur, IL
Yeah would be nice to have Shannon for more athleticism and depth but we need rebounders and rim protectors more than anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.