Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (October 2018)

Status
Not open for further replies.
#1,026      
Yeah. My point was that we were “too involved”. Which is an odd thought nowadays.

But, winning solves these issues. As much as we want to think Krush was rabid in the early 2000s, we actually had to call and personally recruit members in 2002-2003 to fill the floor seats. That was the year after Frankie and Co. left and the team wasn’t supposed to be “great” (even with Dee, Deron, Augie, Aaron Spears, and Kyle Wilson coming in as freshmen). That was with BTPOY Brian Cook.

Two years later, we had record membership. With wins, comes enthusiasm and involvement. It just takes that one spark.

Too involved? Is that the same as too thirsty?

#1,027      

Deleted member 649710

D
I am not sure anyone has claimed that winning recruits itself, but it's not really that controversial that winning is a big help for recruiting assuming the coach can actually capitalize on it.
Which is why Timme likely lands at Arizona or Gonzaga.

#1,028      
A little bit of a different opinion, but the livelihood of the program is not necessarily the diehards or fanatics when it comes to recruiting and national exposure. It is the ability to attract the more casual fan. I consider myself a diehard Illini fan for 35+ year and if we turn the program around and we elevate back to prominence, I will get more enjoyment but little will change in terms of support. I will support them program the same. That is the case with many diehards/fanatics.

The livelihood of the program, exposure, and financial viability depends on attracting the casual fan, or even better converting non-fans and the younger audience to Illini fans. That will bring to UI more resources, more national exposure to wider audiences and by default will have more of an impact on recruits. That is where we have failed.

#1,029      

Deleted member 643761

D
The worst part about this forum is when people don’t let go of recruits. The writing has been on the wall for awhile now with OT but people are still hoping for him. We’ve already gone through a meltdown/grievance period for him. But some people will hang on all the way to the actual commitment, and then meltdown...rehashing the grievance period most of us have already gone through. This has happened with a lot of recruits in the past as well. (Yes I know recruiting is fluid, anything can happen, yada yada.)

I say we all agree to only have one grievance/meltdown period per recruit. If you miss it because you’re “remaining optimistic” then too bad...you don’t get to let out your emotions on said recruit at a later date.:peace:

GMAB

Go ahead and criticize the melt downs,, but really, the time to let go of a recruit that has us on our list is when he commits to another school. I get you want to be more "realistic", but there is absolutely nothing wrong with "hoping" that a guy who just visited a couple weeks ago might end up here.

#1,030      
I am not sure anyone has claimed that winning recruits itself, but it's not really that controversial that winning is a big help for recruiting assuming the coach can actually capitalize on it.

A lot of factors can help, but the question is whether you can establish consistent winning without strong recruiting at UI. I personally do not believe that marginal record improvement will have a big impact on recruiting, especially if you have not proven your recruiting ability already.

Strong recruiters get better recruits even before consistent winning happens. Once they get those recruits, they utilize them to get better results, which even further helps their recruiting. Any deviation from that pattern is synonymous IMO to being an "exception" more than the rule, which often results from fans' wishful thinking that "it can happen" rather than any factual evidence that you have an actual "exception" in your hands. JMO.

#1,031      
GMAB

Go ahead and criticize the melt downs,, but really, the time to let go of a recruit that has us on our list is when he commits to another school. I get you want to be more "realistic", but there is absolutely nothing wrong with "hoping" that a guy who just visited a couple weeks ago might end up here.

First off, my post was meant to be kind of satirical. I was just trying to poke fun at a trend that I've seen on this forum the past couple years. Sorry it didn't come off that way. I never said there was anything wrong with hoping. Hope all you want. Just that it's annoying if someone holds out hope and then complains about officially losing the recruit, rehashing arguments that we just had because most of us already saw it coming.

Last edited:
#1,034      
Having that last visit scheduled at Arizona seems ominous.
Someone has to have the last visit... It's all up to the kids... and their thinking usually defies logic in most cases in my experience... lol

#1,038      

UofIChE06

Pittsburgh
OT fits any system

Just because someone is a phenomenal player that any coach would love to have does not mean they fit any system. Timme is a system fit. His game is exactly the same as the prototypical 5 in BU's system. BU would not have to put any wrinkles or tweaks in for him. He would undoubtedly do that for OT. That is the point. That doesn't take anything away from OT as a player. If anything it shows how good he is that a coach would make alterations to what he wants to do to get the player.

#1,041      
Just because someone is a phenomenal player that any coach would love to have does not mean they fit any system. Timme is a system fit. His game is exactly the same as the prototypical 5 in BU's system. BU would not have to put any wrinkles or tweaks in for him. He would undoubtedly do that for OT. That is the point. That doesn't take anything away from OT as a player. If anything it shows how good he is that a coach would make alterations to what he wants to do to get the player.
Any coach worth his salt knows how to utilize top 50 talent in some capacity. Sure there are better fits, but a talented player and a competent coach should be able to get at least good results. This is amplified as the player moves up the talent spectrum. Oscar is ranked in the top 25. He would produce immediately and excel here. Sure maybe he doesn't fit exactly what BU envisions our 5 being, but its foolish to act as if BU would have to change his entire offensive/defensive scheme to conform to OT's skillset.
West Virginia?
Mountain mama.

#1,045      
As dumb as it sounds, I think our best shot with anyone is with Timme. :unsure:
really not that dumb. Kofi has been very quiet, Oscar seems to have always been a WVU hard lean, Shannon is such a question mark, Walker now seems to be a Miami guy, not too much on the Quincy front, have to think hes an east coast bound guy, and I can't think of anyone we've got locked and loaded other than Timme.

#1,048      

TownieMatt

CU Expat
Chicago
OT to WVU has been the smart money for a long time. Haven't seen anything to change that heading into his decision.

#1,049      
really not that dumb. Kofi has been very quiet, Oscar seems to have always been a WVU hard lean, Shannon is such a question mark, Walker now seems to be a Miami guy, not too much on the Quincy front, have to think hes an east coast bound guy, and I can't think of anyone we've got locked and loaded other than Timme.
And to top it off isn't Timme an Arizona lean?

Status
Not open for further replies.