Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (October 2018)

Status
Not open for further replies.
#1,326      
I'm honestly in the whatever camp right now with recruiting. I feel like staff should know that winning is 100% the most important thing this year and will pay dividends even if they're late in the next couple sessions. We need a good floor product.
It’s obviously more difficult if you have to focus on the team and recruitng....recruiting takes away time to spend on the actual team.

I hope the coaches focus on team vs stretching too thin for recruiting.

#1,327      
I was really high on Payton a year ago but I haven't heard much about him for a while. Good motor, great attitude, and hardworking, but how does a 6'6 180 lbs center in HS translate to B10 play? Probably the 3/4 position but does he have the athleticism/quickness? I hope so because that may be our best option come spring.

Payton=247 composite #322.

#1,330      

Deleted member 746094

D
Payton=247 composite #322.

Have only watched occasional highlights on local news last season. He held his own against Okoro if that means anything??? In most highlights though he looked like the 6’1 7th grader that was a beast because everyone was 6 inches shorter and hadn’t hit puberty yet.

How does he fair against top AAU comp? I think his #322 rank reflects that.

#1,331      

sacraig

The desert
Wow that's a viscous response. 😂

If I get into a pun war relating to fluids, I'll immediately lose the audience. I do fluid mechanics for a living and I am sure my puns would rapidly get eggheaded and indecipherable to most.

#1,332      

Epsilon

M tipping over
Pdx
If I get into a pun war relating to fluids, I'll immediately lose the audience. I do fluid mechanics for a living and I am sure my puns would rapidly get eggheaded and indecipherable to most.
I'm detecting a lot of surface tension...

Okay, I'm done... :giggle:

#1,333      

sacraig

The desert
I'm detecting a lot of surface tension...

Okay, I'm done... :giggle:

giphy.gif

#1,336      
I was really high on Payton a year ago but I haven't heard much about him for a while. Good motor, great attitude, and hardworking, but how does a 6'6 180 lbs center in HS translate to B10 play? Probably the 3/4 position but does he have the athleticism/quickness? I hope so because that may be our best option come spring.
Peyton is extremely athletic, can jump out of the gym. Reasonable ball handler, unselfish teammate. Problem is he has very limited offensive skills. Think Robert Bennett. I saw him play a team last year that had no one over 6'2". He scored 7 pts. on 2 putbacks and 3 free throws. I think he could handle himself defensively, but he'd be dead weight offensively.

#1,338      
Peyton is extremely athletic, can jump out of the gym. Reasonable ball handler, unselfish teammate. Problem is he has very limited offensive skills. Think Robert Bennett. I saw him play a team last year that had no one over 6'2". He scored 7 pts. on 2 putbacks and 3 free throws. I think he could handle himself defensively, but he'd be dead weight offensively.

We could really use a Robert Bennett.

#1,339      
I'm still working under the assumption that there will be young men wearing Illini basketball uniforms in 2023, so I'm optimistic. Hopefully they will be projected to finish better than 12th in the league. This board is bleak...Let's play a game!

#1,340      
Payton is the kid that "looks" the part when you get into a gym, imo. Jumps well, is a better athlete than most at the H.S. level (think M.S.) but will not be a player in a Power 5 conference of any relevance. Even has much as we need players, he does not strike me as the kid that will help us in year 1.2.3. or 4 all that much.

#1,343      
The grid is getting might depleted. Many have committed and others have shown no interest in Illinois.

Copied and edited from my previous post a few pages back.

In regards to centers we are still in on Timme.
Tre Mitchell and Jason Jitoboh both canceled their OVs so who knows what up with that? Mitchell has always been seen as unlikely (I think the money is on UConn).

Quincy Guerrier? As Obelix pointed out, "I do not have any info on either recruitment but I find it hard to believe that if Guerrier makes his pick at the halftime of the Knicks vs Pacers game in a NY station and the analyst promises a "special evening" that it will not be Syracuse." So he seems also to be unlikely. CBs seem to indicate between Oregon and Syracuse.

So who else? Cockburn does not seem realistic. Payton (F)? The other Walker (Marquis) although he is a PG? JUCO route? We seem to be running out of options.

Tre Mitchell shows 100% to ND now....Cockburn has 2 Crystal Balls now....couldnt resist!

#1,344      
Hypothetical best case scenario outside of Top 100....IF we were to recruit them....

Antwan January # 131 -
Emanuel Taban # 171 -
Mahamadou Diawara # 177 -https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7umcB3x_h7E

John Harge? ReClass from 2018?

Or we can wait till spring for the next late class to signup....which we may have to do by default.

#1,346      

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
If the Shannon Train starts in August and is traveling 30 mph away from Champaign, and the Illinois train is traveling absolutely nowhere, how will the pitch of the Illini fans’ wailing sound to Shannon? Show your work.

922J.gif

#1,347      
Respect everyone's opinion on Payton, seems to be closer to 6-8 than 6-6. There is always a late surprise in the Illinois class. My pick is Payton, but might also be a player from CPL. Some late ranking riders have been unibrow?, MSmith, Myke Henry.

#1,348      

JJE

Bethalto, IL
I don’t know what feels worse, being in the final mix for great players only for them to pick another school or watching them tear it up at that school.

Status
Not open for further replies.