Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (November-December 2018)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agreed. This staff does a nice job finding these types of players, see Griff and Giorgi.
This is really putting the cart before the horse isn't it? They've had one exhibition game to prove they are good finds. I'll give them Ebo, but even so.

Oooh, oooh, I know this one!

(Choose one or more of the following)
1. Class rankings are skewed by larger class sizes
2. Our class didn't address our greatest areas of need
3. We can't evaluate the class until we see them perform against Big Ten competition
4. We waste resources and opportunities when we miss on all of our fall targets
5. Recruiting primarily in the spring is unsustainable
6. Other

How did I do?

2? We got players at basically every position and had needs all over the place, so 2 was terrible. 4 seems silly. We should only go after low rated players? 5 is interesting. Seems likely valid if you get no fall targets, but wrong if you can get one key piece and then get guys like Griff and Giorgi that were under-recruited in the spring.

Overall, interesting post, but the prior poster said we stink at recruiting which is certainly wrong. How good we are there is tbd.

Last edited:

Deleted member 746094

D
Would you prefer Payton or Enaruna at this point?

I would prefer Enaruna based on highlights and seeing Payton a few times a year on the news.

With our track record as of late I would push hard for both and if they both want to come I think BU has to think hard about accepting both commitments.

Deleted member 236589

D
You realize that last year's class was top 25....right?

I do realize what it was. I also realize it was driven by one guy, our only fall commitment in two years and skewed by the pure volume of the class.

Now, I am in no way, shape or form criticizing the young men on the roster. I want to be clear about that. This could be a Final Four group in the making. None of us know.

The point is, in July of 2017, if I provided you this group as our class and was able to tell you we'd have no commitments for 2018 yet...what would you have said?

Things are going great? We're on the right track? We're gaining momentum? We have good connections that are formulating?

No....you'd have wondered what the heck is going on.

There's no need to defend the situation. It is what it is. It's just my opinion, there is no right or wrong....but it looks like we're missing badly on our top targets and even our plan B and plan C targets.

I could be way off base however. Just my perception.

Deleted member 236589

D

3. We can't evaluate the class until we see them perform against Big Ten competition
6. Other

How did I do?
1, 2, 3 and 6 are correct....

4 and 5 are TBD.

You're at 66% to date.

JFGsCoffeeMug

BU:1 Trash cans:0
Chicago
2? We got players at basically every position and had needs all over the place, so 2 was terrible. 4 seems silly. We should only go after low rated players? 5 is interesting. Seems likely valid if you get no fall targets, but wrong if you can get one key piece and then get guys like Griff and Giorgi that were under-recruited in the spring.

Overall, interesting post, but the prior poster said we stink at recruiting which is certainly wrong. How good we are there is tbd.

1, 2, 3 and 6 are correct....

4 and 5 are TBD.

You're at 66% to date.

The post was less my own thoughts and more a summary of common responses you can find on this board. :)

I would prefer Enaruna over Payton. I see the Dutchman as a better fit for the Illini offense. I have seen Chris Payton multiple times and he is more of a smaller sized power forward in the BIG Ten. I think Payton's best fit would be in the MVC, where he would be able to play sooner and really have a chance to develope his game. The ISU Redbirds would fit him better.

the Dutch men are the tallest in Europe....I can vouch for that as I live here in the land of the giants....need help recruiting a big...give me a call Coach :)

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
The Flying Dutchman!

CvWhhw.gif

Tacomallini

Washington State
This staff has almost universally failed with the Plan A guys, but is very good at scrounging. Dutch kid looks like a player. Give him a year with Fletch and in the system, and can see him being good (w/o squinting too much).
Couldn't agree more. If I had to be stuck on a deserted island or isolated mountaintop with any staff in NCAA basketball, it'd be Underwood's crew. Excellent scroungers.

I do realize what it was. I also realize it was driven by one guy, our only fall commitment in two years and skewed by the pure volume of the class.

Now, I am in no way, shape or form criticizing the young men on the roster. I want to be clear about that. This could be a Final Four group in the making. None of us know.

The point is, in July of 2017, if I provided you this group as our class and was able to tell you we'd have no commitments for 2018 yet...what would you have said?

Things are going great? We're on the right track? We're gaining momentum? We have good connections that are formulating?

No....you'd have wondered what the heck is going on.

There's no need to defend the situation. It is what it is. It's just my opinion, there is no right or wrong....but it looks like we're missing badly on our top targets and even our plan B and plan C targets.

I could be way off base however. Just my perception.

People freaked out last fall too and what happened? A top 25 class. My view is to wait and see what develops, not chicken little it. We have a deep group of frosh/soph wings/PGs. We need one good big from this next class. Time will tell. In any case, college hoops is driven mainly by guards/wings so the future looks bright there.

6. Other

How did I do?

Last year's class was good, and I'm personally happy with it, but I can acknowledge that the points above are all valid concerns. The problem isn't last year's class, it's 2019, or the lack thereof. Also, if you're 0-17, or whatever we are so far, it's concerning both for 2019 and the long term. That's an amazing streak we've got going, especially when if you believe the second year should be easier to recruit because you've been at the helm of the program for a year, have identified and prioritized the guys you think you can get, etc..

All of these, but unironically.

Just spent a little time catching up on the meltdown thread. Looks about the same, many of you should be the next head coach or heck at least Illinois basketballs lead recruiter . Looking forward to Thursday!!

Status
Not open for further replies.