Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (November-December 2018)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 29907

D
Recruiting has been so weird under BU. The guy only went on 2 OV's according to 247 (New Mexico and WSU). We offer him 2 weeks ago and he commits without an OV.

But all that matters is getting guys that can help this program grow. Hopefully he can do that.

Did Antwan meet BU in person or was it a Facetime thing? :)

drsmitty74

Rochester
January commitment was the final nail. Once we were informed by Timme camp, we had full court on Antwan.

Dbell1981

Decatur, IL
Would have been nice to get Timme. Giorgi looks like he can be pretty good. A Lucas Johnson/Augustine hybrid. With him and January I think we are gonna be okay going forward. Samba can develop too. The team is gonna be solid and fun to watch the next few years! Go ILLINI

skyIdub

Winged Warrior

16F7.gif

ChiefGritty

Chicago, IL
You're probably right. We should only recruit players who we have a 100% chance of landing.

Not what I said.

The comment was that getting a silver or bronze medal was "better than not being on the podium".

That's very true in the Olympics! But it is not true in basketball recruiting. The ones you land are the only thing that matters.

And to the belief that being the bridesmaid often correlates with being the bride sometimes, I respond by pointing you to Illinois Basketball 2004-present.

But as I said, the ones you land are all that matters, so let's not gnash teeth over Timme but be encouraged by the swoop out of nowhere on Antwan January. That's the kind of savvy move John Groce never managed at the PG position.

sacraig

The desert
Not what I said.

The comment was that getting a silver or bronze medal was "better than not being on the podium".

That's very true in the Olympics! But it is not true in basketball recruiting. The ones you land are the only thing that matters.

And to the belief that being the bridesmaid often correlates with being the bride sometimes, I respond by pointing you to Illinois Basketball 2004-present.

But as I said, the ones you land are all that matters, so let's not gnash teeth over Timme but be encouraged by the swoop out of nowhere on Antwan January. That's the kind of savvy move John Groce never managed at the PG position.

Not being on the podium implies we either flat out didn't recruit them or else were so unappealing that we didn't get any traction. Neither is good and both are worse than being on the podium and not winning.

ivwilsoniv

Aurora, IL
Not being on the podium implies we either flat out didn't recruit them or else were so unappealing that we didn't get any traction. Neither is good and both are worse than being on the podium and not winning.
And yet being on the podium and not winning also indicates a lot of time/resources/money that were spent on trying to land said recruit without any payoff. Whereas that time could have been spent on another recruit with a more favorable outcome. #opportunitycost... That being said, you lose 100% of the recruiting battles in which you're not involved, and there's no way to know which ones will be a positive result. That's the challenge when you're not a Blue Blood. That recognition of the situation and maximization of resources to land high level recruits is what sets the top tier non-Blue-Blood schools apart from the lower tiers. That, and illegal means, obviously.

Still waiting to see BU's staff (and many previous staffs) do this much better.

Illwinsagain

Cary, IL
And yet being on the podium and not winning also indicates a lot of time/resources/money that were spent on trying to land said recruit without any payoff. Whereas that time could have been spent on another recruit with a more favorable outcome. #opportunitycost... That being said, you lose 100% of the recruiting battles in which you're not involved, and there's no way to know which ones will be a positive result. That's the challenge when you're not a Blue Blood. That recognition of the situation and maximization of resources to land high level recruits is what sets the top tier non-Blue-Blood schools apart from the lower tiers. That, and illegal means, obviously.

Still waiting to see BU's staff (and many previous staffs) do this much better.
Honestly, I have to disagree. They have to go for anyone that they want that shows interest back. They have to invest the time, money, etc. And yesterday, they showed that they have a back up plan that worked!

Status
Not open for further replies.