Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (November-December 2018)

Status
Not open for further replies.
#1,101      
I was specifically referring to the Simeon/THT situation.

Yeah but when Robert Smith himself says "No one has come here to rectify the situation,” “No one has sat down and said why they didn’t take him or what happened. Maybe they are still trying to figure out what to say,” what other evidence do we need that there is a problem? Of course there is a problem.

How the situation was created is a different story, one that I personally do not want to go into for different reasons, but there is not denying that there is a problem.

#1,102      

ILL in IA

Iowa City
We aren't even talking about the same thing. You know that, right? Maybe you didn't read the string of posts first or something?

I was specifically referring to the Simeon/THT situation. I never said we don't have a recruiting problem in a broader sense in Chicago. Has that ever not been true except the 80s?
Doesn't the original article confirm the THT/Simion situation?

#1,103      

ILL in IA

Iowa City
Underwood can control how this goes next. Aside from Illinois recruiting, this feels just as much a power struggle for MIF vs the CPL. Does BU need to walk into Simion and see Robert Smith when the same players go play for the Irvins and MIF on the AAU circuit?

#1,104      

Dbell1981

Decatur, IL
News flash: Chicago Illinois is not the only place in America with good basketball players. All one has to do to see the true feelings about the matter is scroll down to the articles comments. In fact in the comments someone points out how Indy has had better players than CPL lately. Dont listen to the few posters on here from Chicagoland trying to blow this out of proportion.

#1,105      

ILL in IA

Iowa City
News flash: Chicago Illinois is not the only place in America with good basketball players. All one has to do to see the true feelings about the matter is scroll down to the articles comments. In fact in the comments someone points out how Indy has had better players than CPL lately. Dont listen to the few posters on here from Chicagoland trying to blow this out of proportion.
Have we been in to see any players in Indy then?

#1,106      

jmilt7

Waukegan
I’m from the Suburbs and I’m tired of Chicago throwing shade at UofI. Send the best players here. The one and done game changers. Or shut up.

Wow. Loved your music back in the 80s. Say hi to Chan Poling. :)

51VSVcqTXqL._SX355_.jpg

#1,107      
Underwood can control how this goes next. Aside from Illinois recruiting, this feels just as much a power struggle for MIF vs the CPL. Does BU need to walk into Simion and see Robert Smith when the same players go play for the Irvins and MIF on the AAU circuit?

Again, the article talks about "Chicago area" and many of the players and schools mentioned are not what people refer to as CPL. Furthermore, the MIF coaches and Morgan Park are also CPL. So there has never been MIF vs. CPL. Many of the Chicago (and non-Chicago) top players, independent of school, play for MIF. On your question, does BU need to visit both Simeon and MIF to recruit players, even the same players? Of course he does this is about relationship building and is not just about specific players either.

#1,109      
Can we think about this really quick? The article says they haven't been up there THIS season. Underwood and staff was up to see most of them last year and over the summer, Adam Miller many times. Morgan Park's season started 11/24. Chicago Simeon's started 12/1. Maui doesn't play into either of those since Maui ended 11/21, however, we've been pretty busy since then. The break between UNLV and ETSU was the first time we had more than 4 days between games. We had 1 day between MVSU and ND, 4 days between ND and NEB (both of which were away games, so with travel it was more like 2 between them), 2 days between NEB and OSU, and 2 days between OSU and UNLV. When do you want the staff to get up there? If an article came out that BU was up there spending time recruiting while we were losing these games you'd be complaining about him spending so much time up there and not coaching up the kids we have now. The fact is in today's game you can spend years building a relationship with a kid, only to lose it to a team that jumps in at the last minute. I'm not saying to neglect the kids up in Chicago, but to make a big deal out of not seeing the kids in the first 2-3 weeks of CPL's season is ridiculous.

We played Ohio St in Chicago.....

#1,110      

BMoreIllini

Baltimore, MD
We played Ohio St in Chicago.....
And what do you want him to do? Stay up there an extra day to recruit? Come up a day early to watch high school games and not travel with the team as well as lose prep time? Have in-homes? Can't imagine you can give them game tickets. It was a Wednesday night game. UNLV was 2 days later. Stop it with these arguments that aren't based in any reality. Argument sounds good until you actually look at the facts surrounding the argument.

Last edited:
#1,111      
There's a certain five star guard we have from Chicago that makes me not too worried about this ridiculous article.

#1,112      
Not trying to teach anyone a lesson. We don’t have to cater to them. And they have no reason to throw shade at us because their best players don’t come here. I should’ve known that a supporter of the Groce era would want to suck up to the CPL. That got us pretty far.

Our most nationally prominent teams the last 20 years featured players more from other places than Chicago.

You need to check your facts and memory, because Groce did not recruit Chicago (Chicago area is not just CPL) well either and the same article about not being visible in Chicago was also written about Groce. We have not had a very strong recruiter since Self left, and that has been the Illinois' problem and the main reason we are where we are.

As far as the the golden eras of Illini basketball, the 1980s and 1999-06, they both had very prominent Chicago area players, in addition to non-Chicago area players. But both eras had a tremendously strong Illinois player flavor. Nobody has ever advocated that Illinois should only recruit Chicago area, but Chicago area players, HS, and AAU programs play a tremendous role in the recruiting dynamics.

Oh... and NEW FLASH: We are not currently doing well recruiting the rest of Illinois, outside Chicago area, either.

#1,113      

BMoreIllini

Baltimore, MD
You need to check your facts and memory, because Groce did not recruit Chicago (Chicago area is not just CPL) well either and the same article about not being visible in Chicago was also written about Groce. We have not had a very strong recruiter since Self left, and that has been the Illinois' problem and the main reason we are where we are.

As far as the the golden eras of Illini basketball, the 1980s and 1999-06, they both had very prominent Chicago area players, in addition to non-Chicago area players. But both eras had a tremendously strong Illinois player flavor. Nobody has ever advocated that Illinois should only recruit Chicago area, but Chicago area players, HS, and AAU programs play a tremendous role in the recruiting dynamics.

Oh... and NEW FLASH: We are not currently doing well recruiting the rest of Illinois, outside Chicago area, either.
It's not like BU's not recruiting Chicago. He's had a presence there. Last year. Over the summer. The main point of the article to me was that he hasn't been up there yet this season and the coaches up there aren't happy about it. Big deal. It's the kid's decision on where to go. The coaches may be in the player's ears a little bit, but it comes down to what the player wants. If the player likes BU and UI he will come here. When Adam Miller or another player comes out and says something to the tune of "I haven't seen or heard from UI in a while", that's when I'll be concerned. Otherwise it's a clickbait article with some grown men crying about not getting attention.

#1,115      

ILL in IA

Iowa City
News flash: Giorgi is proving that this coach won't need a whole team of 5 star players to win. Give it time boys.
Giorgi has proved that this coach/staff has the ability to go out and find talent that is underrated, but it has yet to prove anything about its ability to win games. I agree with giving it time.

#1,116      
And what do you want him to do? Stay up there an extra day to recruit? Come up a day early to watch high school games and not travel with the team as well as lose prep time? Have in-homes? Can't imagine you can give them game tickets. It was a Wednesday night game. UNLV was 2 days later. Stop it with these arguments that aren't based in any reality. Argument sounds good until you actually look at the facts surrounding the argument.

Maybe go explain the THT situation to Robert Smith so we stop getting bad press. It doesn't take much effort or time

#1,117      

Dbell1981

Decatur, IL
Giorgi has proved that this coach/staff has the ability to go out and find talent that is underrated, but it has yet to prove anything about its ability to win games. I agree with giving it time.

I can agree with that. However there was a handful of people bashing him on his cone drill video comparing him to Jack Krap as well that should have a big bowl of crow for dinner. Kid isn't a fluke. He has skills and will be good. Also has the attitude coach likes.

#1,118      

Yeah, so Robert Smith says we need to repair the relationship with Simeon. What exactly has Simeon done for Illinois in the last quarter century?

#1,119      

Deleted member 29907

D
Didn't Izzo write off Chicago because of all the drama?

#1,120      

ILL in IA

Iowa City
Yeah, so Robert Smith says we need to repair the relationship with Simeon. What exactly has Simeon done for Illinois in the last quarter century?
It has sent us some good players. It's up to Illinois to get them better after they show up on campus. DRose and Jabari would have been nice, obviously, but Illinois chose to walk away from THT.

#1,122      

BananaShampoo

Captain 'Paign
Phoenix, AZ
Nowhere, because UI needs to recruit players, not the other way around. Players and parents owe nothing to UI. Truth is that we need them, they do not need us, if we can't successfully recruit them, they will simply go elsewhere.
While I whole heartedly agree with that premise because it's absolutely true, it does work both ways. There is no good rhyme or reason why kids in Illinois shouldn't be pining to attend their home state's flagship school. I know there is lot of negativity towards a lot of people in the State of Illinois due to a number of factors (rampant corruption, broke state government, terrible roads, losing population, high taxes, economic decline in many parts, inequality to name a few), but man, complaining about it and having a constant negative attitude about it and taking it out on the University that represents your state (still a damn fine institution that has somehow managed to maintain it's world standing and reputation despite having much of it's public funding bled dry over the course of the past couple decades) is not helping.

Yes, a lot of it has to do with the University itself doing a poor job of marketing, and of course boneheaded decisions by many of the University people in charge, but it makes no sense that Illinoisans shouldn't feel the same blind pride and loyalty that, say, Indiana residents do to IU or Purdue, or Iowan's do to U of Iowa, or Wisconsonians do to Wiscy, or Michiganders do to scUM (Michigan a state that has felt just as many if not more economic woes as Illinois does!).

Yes, winning begets some of this no question, but even when Illinois was winning in both sports in the 80s, and in basketball in the early 2000s it still felt like the support was half-hearted and bandwagony for the most part. Aside from a few years with Jimmy Collins it's not like the Chicago and AAU floodgates ever opened and in football it's much the same thing with top Illinois prospects often choosing to go to Iowa or Wisconsin or Notre Dame over the state school. Again, a lot of it falls squarely on the shoulders of the school itself for doing a terrible job of cultivating a following in it's own state for decades and terrible hiring and firing decisions and not keeping up in facilities and thus not making it not as attractive to recruits and fans. I get that, but as that's changing (and it most certainly is thanks much to JW), I would really love to see that overall culture change on all sides: from the school, from the media, and from the residents, fans, and high schools across the state.

#1,124      
Michael O'Brien was on the Jeremy Werner show, mentioned that Illinois has not been recruiting Chicago well, but also have not had success recruiting the rest of Illinois. He mentioned that the previous 2 coaching regimes had not done well either.

He said that the relationship with many coaches is certainly repairable but he can't understand why it would have to be repaired to begin with, this is recruiting 101, you recruit Chicago. He mentioned specifically Max Christie and the fact that pretty much all other B1G programs have already been there to see him but Illinois. He said he is sure Illinois will stop by to see him in the next 2-3 weeks, but Illinois needed to have been there because this is exactly the player that Illinois can get. On the relationship with Robert Smith, he mentioned that it needs to be repaired, to which I believe Werner agreed and said something IIRC like "it was ridiculous was happened with THT." TFIW.

#1,125      
How this class does will say a lot about Underwood. No one's gonna care if he wins with 5* guys or 3* guys. I think we're used to getting 4* guys and a mix of guys outside the top 50, the occassional stud, and various project guys that may or may not become contributors. Underwood should be able to continue that even if Chicago is Chicago.

Status
Not open for further replies.