Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (November-December 2018)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Performance on the floor has certainly hurt recruiting but it is obvious that we are no longer a name program to recruits or to top coaching candidates. Indiana has had two dry spells but both times with Crean and now Miller got a top coach in and got top recruits immediately regardless of the poor record of the program this is something Illinois has not been able to do. I also think not getting January signed in November could come back to bite us all we really have is a verbal commit and if the season continues to go in the wrong direction he could go elsewhere.

Performance on the floor has certainly hurt recruiting but it is obvious that we are no longer a name program to recruits or to top coaching candidates. Indiana has had two dry spells but both times with Crean and now Miller got a top coach in and got top recruits immediately regardless of the poor record of the program this is something Illinois has not been able to do. I also think not getting January signed in November could come back to bite us all we really have is a verbal commit and if the season continues to go in the wrong direction he could go elsewhere.

Or he may not qualify either....in any case another bad look if that happens?

He could go elsewhere, unless he has a reasonable view of what happens when about 3/4 of your roster is brand new to the program, about 1/2 being freshmen. That'll work if your Duke or UK, otherwise, not so much. That and seeing the 5 position basically open.

As for January, there is the concern that his verbal was made without a visit. And while a strong season could lead him to reopen his recruitment, I do see him going anywhere as of now. Many players have not yet signed their LOIs, and given how late January announced his verbal, he will have a proper signing when the Spring period opens. Even if they get lucky and are able max out the '19 class with Kofi and Shannon / Enaruna, he will still get plenty of minutes, and at worst. he will arrive as the third best option down low.

SycIllini

Sycamore, Illinois
Not sure how what kind of rating he has but, Patrick Mayfield, senior from Burlington Central looks pretty good in the games I have seen him in. 6’5” guard who handles the point for them normally. Smooth, high shot. I think he is averaging over 30 per game starting out this season. Handles the ball pretty well and just makes shots. Would be interested if he has any college offers.

Not sure how what kind of rating he has but, Patrick Mayfield, senior from Burlington Central looks pretty good in the games I have seen him in. 6’5” guard who handles the point for them normally. Smooth, high shot. I think he is averaging over 30 per game starting out this season. Handles the ball pretty well and just makes shots. Would be interested if he has any college offers.

He is ranked like 2500 nationally and 179 I think Max Preps

Thanks for the info. Sounds promising.

Anybody know why January is not suited up and playing this year for Hillcrest Prep? I think it was reported that he played one game, but can't find that game on their schedule. Exhibition maybe??

This isn't extremely relevant but last night I had the chance to attend the Brewster Academy v. New Hampton School game in NH, saw Jalen Lecque, Kai Jones, Alonzo Gaffney, Anthony Walker, Joel Brown, Mika Adams-Woods, Jamal Mashburn Jr., Trey Hall, and Terrence Clarke (!!) all in one game. I will gladly go to more games to recruit Clarke for UI if they put me on the payroll

He is ranked like 2500 nationally and 179 I think Max Preps
In no way am I advocating for this player because he seems like a poor man’s “Brett Chastain” but I do have to point out that Max Preps is a horrible prognosticator of talent. The whole premise of the site is to rely on coaches entering information after every game. From experience I used to do it 3/4 of time and I was considered one of the better ones on reporting stats!

I think #2479 refers to the team rank, not the player rank.

Agreed. Player ranks on max preps would be all based on coaches putting in individual stats. Where I work, we purposely do not enter individual stats on there because opponents then have a a basic scouting outline for our team. I haven’t seen the kid play, but I’d take what’s on maxpreps with a grain of salt

sacraig

The desert
Eh, the last Matta disciple didn't work out for us.

In fairness, our last Matta disciple was also one of his least experienced in terms of where else he had coached and for how long.

Anybody know why January is not suited up and playing this year for Hillcrest Prep? I think it was reported that he played one game, but can't find that game on their schedule. Exhibition maybe??

I was wondering the same thing. It still lists him on their roster, but no stats. I have a chance to watch them in a couple weeks, and was hoping to see January play.

I was wondering the same thing. It still lists him on their roster, but no stats. I have a chance to watch them in a couple weeks, and was hoping to see January play.

Purely speculation, but my guess is he is out to focus on a season of studies to get access into college. There has been reports that others in the know are skeptical of his ability to get in due to the school transfers etc. We will see, but it would not surprise me to see him not sign due to this.

Purely speculation, but my guess is he is out to focus on a season of studies to get access into college. There has been reports that others in the know are skeptical of his ability to get in due to the school transfers etc. We will see, but it would not surprise me to see him not sign due to this.

Back on 11/20 he scored 34 points for Hillcrest against Las Vegas Prep:

Status
Not open for further replies.