Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (January 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
#1,301      
Hey, what happened? We were going pretty good there for awhile. Illinois suffers crushing loss....we get exciting recruiting news....football.....basketball or both. I am missing that cycle....

#1,303      
Both tOSU and Louisville had staff in California this week to see 5* 2020 Nimari Burnett. We've got to have either he or Adam Miller. Preferably both.:) Or at worst D.J. Steward. Just an insane amount of Chicago related backcourt talent for 2020.

Last edited:
#1,307      
I'll hold off thinking too deep about Kofi's overall play, mostly because I've rarely watched HS basketball in the past. My only major concern is how Kofi just didn't even get his hands up half the time on D. That's something extremely easy to fix, not worried about it.

His offensive game is beyond impressive, he had some rough shots but the fact he can even shoot them is insane. I was unimpressed by his game, but his skills are as advertised. It'll be up to BU and co. to get his game up to snuff.

#1,309      
I'll hold off thinking too deep about Kofi's overall play, mostly because I've rarely watched HS basketball in the past. My only major concern is how Kofi just didn't even get his hands up half the time on D. That's something extremely easy to fix, not worried about it.

His offensive game is beyond impressive, he had some rough shots but the fact he can even shoot them is insane. I was unimpressed by his game, but his skills are as advertised. It'll be up to BU and co. to get his game up to snuff.

I think we all saw the same assets and liabilities displayed in Kofi's televised game last night. To me, his development, both in skill and body, will tell a whole lot about both the staff and his personal desire to excel. It will be interesting to watch and could well be a marvel. I certainly like the versatility of having four bigs who can all contribute in differing ways....and I expect them all to play important roles. It seems most expect to see Kofi and Giorgi playing a lot together next year....but I am not certain that will happen but who knows? If so, it could free Kipper to play a far more confident and comfortable position for him. If not, Tevian sure seems to bring the aggressive mindset to fill the three spot with plus performance.

There are a couple of other big guys rated pretty highly who just may want to play a lot and are willing to work their !!! off to get better. For Illini hoops, as well as them personally, that is a really good thing. Kane has shown some remarkable shooting skills and if he ever becomes comfortable and competent with the speed of the game, he has a huge upside. And who knows with what kind of game January will show. I certainly have not seen any video of his play, but you don't get 4 stars unless you have some skills.

Sure has been fun, if not rewarding in wins, to watch the freshmen grow their contributions on this season's team. But, as Cubs fans say, just wait till next year!

#1,311      
I think we all saw the same assets and liabilities displayed in Kofi's televised game last night. To me, his development, both in skill and body, will tell a whole lot about both the staff and his personal desire to excel. It will be interesting to watch and could well be a marvel. I certainly like the versatility of having four bigs who can all contribute in differing ways....and I expect them all to play important roles. It seems most expect to see Kofi and Giorgi playing a lot together next year....but I am not certain that will happen but who knows? If so, it could free Kipper to play a far more confident and comfortable position for him. If not, Tevian sure seems to bring the aggressive mindset to fill the three spot with plus performance.

There are a couple of other big guys rated pretty highly who just may want to play a lot and are willing to work their !!! off to get better. For Illini hoops, as well as them personally, that is a really good thing. Kane has shown some remarkable shooting skills and if he ever becomes comfortable and competent with the speed of the game, he has a huge upside. And who knows with what kind of game January will show. I certainly have not seen any video of his play, but you don't get 4 stars unless you have some skills.

Sure has been fun, if not rewarding in wins, to watch the freshmen grow their contributions on this season's team. But, as Cubs fans say, just wait till next year!
I was gonna make a post on the Bigs, I think you've hit most of my points nicely, so just one more point, think back a yr and we had no one over 6'6",BU and staff couldn't recruit, let alone Bigs, we might suit up Kofi, GB, January, and Samba........nice comeback staff!

#1,313      

Tacomallini

Washington State
I was gonna make a post on the Bigs, I think you've hit most of my points nicely, so just one more point, think back a yr and we had no one over 6'6",BU and staff couldn't recruit, let alone Bigs, we might suit up Kofi, GB, January, and Samba........nice comeback staff!
Still hoping for Higgs in there too

#1,314      
Higgs was pretty explosive in high school. Hopefully looks at the big picture and is willing to develop over the years. Might be in the rotation in a couple of years.

#1,315      

BananaShampoo

Captain 'Paign
Phoenix, AZ
Finke and Ebo were both well over 6'6".

#1,318      
Videos I've seen of Antwan is an athletic, aggressive, guy with enough size and weight to be a factor. However most of his scoring seems to be within ten ft of the rim so have no idea of shooting skills. He is another different piece. Somewhere between Georgi and Samba but a great development possibility for OA.

#1,322      
I understand there are a lot of holes in Kofi’s game but having a big guy who can score at will on 1v1s is very encouraging. I remember Maverick Morgan wasn’t very good defensively but senior year his shot down low was almost automatic and I think it will be similar for Kofi.

#1,323      
I understand there are a lot of holes in Kofi’s game but having a big guy who can score at will on 1v1s is very encouraging. I remember Maverick Morgan wasn’t very good defensively but senior year his shot down low was almost automatic and I think it will be similar for Kofi.
I agree, wait until BU and Fletch get ahold of him, :oops: he'll either run, or buy in, and be a major part of our resurgence. And most importantly in this case, my man, OA is going to make him a Pro!

Status
Not open for further replies.