Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (January 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
#1,377      
By the way I’m looking at Romeo Langford and shocked to see he’s shooting 21% from behind the arc. He is attempting almost four 3’s a game so it looks like it’s something that is supposed to be apart of his game. I haven’t watched enough Indiana basketball to accurately scout him, but am confused how he’s projected as a lottery pick with such a horrid three point percentage.

#1,379      

sacraig

The desert
I agree, we will have an easier non conference schedule to manage, and probably could go within 1or 2 games of .500 in the BIG with that roster. Still don’t think that we will be a tournament team but I could see us sitting on the bubble throughout the season.

I think you've got an inflated view of what it takes to make the tournament in light of our recent terribleness. That roster might not immediately contend for the B1G, but it would be better on paper than at least half the tourney teams, I'd estimate.

#1,380      
I think you've got an inflated view of what it takes to make the tournament in light of our recent terribleness. That roster might not immediately contend for the B1G, but it would be better on paper than at least half the tourney teams, I'd estimate.
I think I am just used to disappointment lol. But I’m also one of the people who think Ayo will declare for the draft after this season so that goes with my expectation. If he comes back I think we could nab a 8/9 seed.

#1,381      
I do think with Patterson or Walker you get a better ball handler then you do with Brown, but Brown would fill the teams needs as well. Getting one of these guys would be huge and would put a bow on this recruiting class

Agreed, don't think we go wrong with any of them. In order of wish list however...Brown, Patteson, Walker

#1,382      

Deleted member 746094

D
Agreed, don't think we go wrong with any of them. In order of wish list however...Brown, Patteson, Walker

I agree with your order. CBrown reminds me of Shannon Brown(MSU) in regards to explosiveness and their game. Plus CBrown is 2 inches taller.

#1,383      
This team needs a 6’7-6’8 playmaker who can put the ball in the hoop. Why haven’t we reached out to LaMelo Ball?

#1,387      
Higgs was pretty explosive in high school. Hopefully looks at the big picture and is willing to develop over the years. Might be in the rotation in a couple of years.

Having already missed one year, short of his injury being even more serious than is being reported or than was originally thought and thus forcing him to walk away from competitive basketball, would he be willing to sit out another year by transferring? I cannot see it happening and hope that it does not; I very much would like to see his on-court development with the co-current development / maturity of the tandem of January and Kane.

#1,390      

mhuml32

Cincinnati, OH
That Bossi write-up is promising. At worst it seems like Brown is still seriously considering other schools (besides the NC State hype).

#1,392      
And moving to the 2021 recruiting class and the many posts and tweets about Alan Griffin needing to get on the court more, something with which I agree, if he is not put off by the lack of playing time and has bought into the BU system, does he help us recruit his brother, who is in the ESPN's Top-25 for said class? Does staff leverage the relationship that the staff built with the Griffin family / OA's NY ties?

It would be a huge add for that class and keep the guard play very strong. Griffin the Younger has been impressive in the games that I have seen, and he has two more years of high school and AAU development to go. I do hope we pursue him with some zeal; however, he is not going to go under-recruited like his brother, but we may have a few cards up our sleeve if AG develops and OA recruits him as hard as possible.

#1,394      
After the way he has played the last couple of
I think I am just used to disappointment lol. But I’m also one of the people who think Ayo will declare for the draft after this season so that goes with my expectation. If he comes back I think we could nab a 8/9 seed.
games, I think people should temper expectations for him being a NBA first-rounder next year. He still has some issues finishing against size in the paint, way too inconsistent of a three-point shooter and I think he still is too much of a shoot first PG, even when he obviously isn't hitting shots.

#1,395      
look at michigan big core as freshman
Zavier simpson - 9 mpg , 2 ppg , 1.0 apg.
(at UK) Charles Matthews- 10 mpg, 2 ppg , 0.4 apg (not a big passer)
Jon Teske - 3 mpg , 0.3 ppg , ( not going shown apg).
the thing is i know you guys are mad that underwood is not playing the freshman but it can be a good thing one thing if you play the freshman right now and continue to lose then they can lose confidence and don't care now more but let then sit and learn and maybe it will put it in there mind that maybe they should work harder on the little thing all of these player have great potential and teivan has Charles Matthews like potential. One more thing if kofi cockburn can lose a little bit of weight the he might make a caleb swanigan purdue type impact

#1,396      
look at michigan big core as freshman
Zavier simpson - 9 mpg , 2 ppg , 1.0 apg.
(at UK) Charles Matthews- 10 mpg, 2 ppg , 0.4 apg (not a big passer)
Jon Teske - 3 mpg , 0.3 ppg , ( not going shown apg).
the thing is i know you guys are mad that underwood is not playing the freshman but it can be a good thing one thing if you play the freshman right now and continue to lose then they can lose confidence and don't care now more but let then sit and learn and maybe it will put it in there mind that maybe they should work harder on the little thing all of these player have great potential and teivan has Charles Matthews like potential. One more thing if kofi cockburn can lose a little bit of weight the he might make a caleb swanigan purdue type impact

Team records for those three years:
26-12
27-9
26-12

They didn't sit because the staffs were worried about their confidence. They sat because the teams had talented players to put on the floor.

#1,398      

Epsilon

M tipping over
Pdx
I honestly wonder at this point - what is the difference between us and a middling B1G team, and a team competing for a B1G title? Not even being snarky for once. I really want to know how far off we are...

#1,399      

pruman91

Paducah, Ky
I honestly wonder at this point - what is the difference between us and a middling B1G team, and a team competing for a B1G title? Not even being snarky for once. I really want to know how far off we are...

I have been an Illini fan for over 60 years and this is the farthest off I can remember...living through the 60's and 70's has clouded my memory banks somewhat
:cool: o_O

#1,400      
I feel like that gap is pretty wide. Given talent losses around the league from this year to next, I'd say that the door is open for us to finish about eighth even without a massive leap forward, especially if Langford bolts from IU. (I'm thinking that PSU and Rutgers will continue to struggle, Northwestern and Nebraska lose about 75% of their production to graduation, and IU and Minnesota have some nice pieces left but will be very young after they lose key players.) That's a bubble team even without adding too much more than what we have committed from the 2019 class at this point.

To get to Michigan/MSU status, we'd need to absolutely clean up in recruiting both this year and next -- think Cockburn and Brown plus another couple of top-100 guys this year and then another couple of guys from the 2020 dream list -- Miller and Steward or something like that. But we'd still be young as the new blood would push most of our upperclassmen to the side if they truly had elite B1G talent.

I suppose it could happen, but that level of success is probably further afield in most scenarios. I don't think that it's an enormous reach to turn this program back into a perennial tourney team, though. This year seems worse than it is simply because the league is so tough, and because we got bloodied in the preseason.

Status
Not open for further replies.