Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (January 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Being realistic Kofi is not Oscar T and it would seem to me that there will need to be some adaptation to utilize his and Georgi's skills in parallel. Also this is one man that will likely be more foul prone than Georgi. We still need to see a lot of progress from our existing players to be successful.

There will be a learning curve for Kofi and we shouldn't expect him to immediately dominate. However, they don't get more foul prone than Giorgi; I'm not convinced that player exists. Still love me some Giorgi though and think he's going to be awesome.

ChiefGritty

Chicago, IL
Who wants some good news this morning?

Archie.jpg

Y'know for years this board has had crazy, unrealistic ideas about what new freshman recruits would be able to do in terms of adding wins to the equation. One of the hidden benefits of our lost decade is that we've defined success way, way down, to the point where, yeah, we really can be an NCAA tournament team if we keep the pieces together and add Kofi next year.

Part of that calculus though is that with the pieces we already have we ought to be much, much better than we currently are, as was the case last year.

So it's a two step process. The roster construction piece appears in good shape and may still improve (or could falter with transfers), but without much better coaching it isn't gonna matter.

Kofi is a talent, but let's be real...we still desperately need more talented pieces to even think about translated wins. IMO Feliz and Kipper are two guys who will have nice moments, but they are who they are and don't really move the needle for this team. Upgrades in talent are needed at their positions, especially at small-forward. I'm still holding out hope that Damonte grows offensively, but should he not, I think he falls in that category as well unfortunately. Keep on 'crootin.

I am so glad we got Kofi.....fills our biggest need for next year.......I give Kofi respect for choosing us over all the other programs interested....all the comparisons are great for board discussions but we got Kofi and I'm looking forward to him hitting the floor running next year...seems like a cool kid ....

I think we found a way to give him more than respect and I respect Whitman for having the courage to play gray.

ChiefGritty

Chicago, IL
I think we found a way to give him more than respect and I respect Whitman for having the courage to play gray.

The sudden flurry of unlikely and previously unseen recruiting wins, in both sports simultaneously, immediately following a period where it looked like all the DIA leadership was at risk of losing their jobs is certainly, uh, suggestive. And if that's what's going on I could not support it more strenuously.

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
The sudden flurry of unlikely and previously unseen recruiting wins, in both sports simultaneously, immediately following a period where it looked like all the DIA leadership was at risk of losing their jobs is certainly, uh, suggestive. And if that's what's going on I could not support it more strenuously.

Hot takes for $500, Alex.

Status
Not open for further replies.