Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (January 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 746094

D
In that case let’s add Patterson, Whitney, and Brown and we might crack the NIT

If we sign Kofi only in 2019 I hope we are able to make the NIT next year. I know we lost to whatever Florida school we lost to and people are frustrated, but we have competed in almost every game BU has coached in his tenure here. The talent and experience should be on this roster next year to win 18-20 games. Add a Top 10 wing and another Top 100 wing and that is NCAA tourney caliber roster. JMO.

If we sign Kofi only in 2019 I hope we are able to make the NIT next year. I know we lost to whatever Florida school we lost to and people are frustrated, but we have competed in almost every game BU has coached in his tenure here. The talent and experience should be on this roster next year to win 18-20 games. Add a Top 10 wing and another Top 100 wing and that is NCAA tourney caliber roster. JMO.
Illinois is shooting 0.424 fg pct, which is 272 out of 353 teams per ESPN stats. Kofi will help with that, and we hope others get better, but that won't cut it without improvement, regardless of what wing we might get. I agree that the experience should make us better, but you gotta take, and make open shots, and shoot close to 50% as a team to be really competitive in basketball. Along with getting your share of rebounds, limiting turnovers, and playing decent defense. At least that is what I think, after watching a few decades.

In that case let’s add Patterson, Whitney, and Brown and we might crack the NIT

I really think as it stands now this team will be right in the NCAA conversation next year. Age and experience do wonders. Look at Tennessee's progression the last three years. 2 years ago they had a wealth of young talent and were bad. Last year a consistent top 25 team. Currently #2 and beating Miznoz by 11 at half.

I know our record is bad but we've lost ONE bad game. We've had a rough schedule so the progress is harder to see, but they are competing.

Deleted member 643761

D

Kofi or not, there is no reason that we shouldn't make the NCAA tournament next year.

The way I see the scenarios playing out:

Only add Kofi to next year’s team: NIT bubble

Starters: Ayo, Trent, Kipper, Georgi, Kofi

Add Kofi+January: NIT
same starters

Add Kofi+January+1 of Shannon/Archie/Brown: NCAA bubble
starters w/ full roster: Ayo, Trent, Archie, Georgi, Kofi

Add Kofi+January+ 2 of Archie/Shannon/Brown: 8-11 seed

Add Kofi+January+Whitney: 4-7 seed, top 25 ranking
starters: Ayo, Trent, Whitney, Georgi, Kofi (woah)

Add Kofi+January+Whitney+ 1 of Shannon/Brown/Archie: 3-6 seed, top 20 ranking, sweet 16 or farther potential!

There is a high chance we lose at least one of Higgs, Kipper, TBD. But the loss of any of those players as long as we can bring in a top 100 wing or two, we should be okay.

Kofi or not, there is no reason that we shouldn't make the NCAA tournament next year.
I can think of many reasons. How many players over 6'6" do we have? How many players can consistently make 3 pt shots next year? Who is going to rebound with the lack of height? January is far from a given. Without two of Kane, Kofi, and GB, playing at the same time, rebounding may be a problem. With two of those 3 playing, we won't be pressuring as much, so less steals. I hope for the best too, but the team needs interior defense, it needs to shoot much better, and get rebounds. Counting on players improving a great deal, usually doesn't happen.

Deleted member 643761

D
I can think of many reasons. How many players over 6'6" do we have? How many players can consistently make 3 pt shots next year? Who is going to rebound with the lack of height? January is far from a given. Without two of Kane, Kofi, and GB, playing at the same time, rebounding may be a problem. With two of those 3 playing, we won't be pressuring as much, so less steals. I hope for the best too, but the team needs interior defense, it needs to shoot much better, and get rebounds. Counting on players improving a great deal, usually doesn't happen.

GB Kane, and Higgs are all big enough to hold down the 5/4 with help from guys like Jones. We're actually not looking bad on the boards right now and with all these guys getting another year we should be much better.

There's only one reason (outside of serious injuries) not to make the tournament next year. That would be poor coaching.

Did you see Whitney's last interview? From his own words, it sounded like he was 100% committed to UK. Caroline isn't coming either. lol

Steelyunk

Tobacco Road
Not sure how this correlates to some of the other posts. You have to consider that the blow bys could be related to conditioning. Some of the prior posts discuss the point that we've led in many of the games in the first half only to lose that lead and falter in the 2nd. To me, that suggests we consider conditioning and proper training. Seems pretty razor-ish to me.
I wasn’t going for correlation if that is indeed what you meant. First things first. I can buy the finest European swimwear and pack it with a 12” prosthesis and get my body waxed but if I don’t start by losing 30 pounds I’ll never be able to wear a speedo on the beach without causing any poor woman who looks at me to gouge out her eyes.

If I’m diagnosing the problem with this squad the conditioning program is probably not on the first page. But what do I know - I’m some doofus message board poster talking about 20 year olds playing a game.

NBB1979

UIUCFAN1
Springfield, IL
Kofi is our highest rated recruit since Ayo Dosunmu in the class of 2018.

Isn't this grammatically incorrect since Kofi is rated higher than Ayo? I think you're analogy would be - Kofi is our highest rated recruit since Jereme Richmond (whevever that was)

NBB1979

UIUCFAN1
Springfield, IL
I watched the Oregon - Oregon St. game (I follow OSU) and was less than impressed with Okoro. He only played 16 minutes as the Beavers went up big early and the Ducks went with a smaller lineup to play full court pressure. He missed every shot he took (4 from the floor and 2 at the line) but he did have 5 rebs, 1 steal and 1 block. Previous game against Boise St. he played 19 minutes with no points (only shot once).

Are you Steve from Peoria that calls the Fasteners postgame show :)

Kipper will be much better rebounding next year as he will be back more at a natural 3 imo...thus roaming, he does have a nose for the ball, he just isn't a four with that kind of athletic ability that can bang/box out and get the inside boards in close quarters. Playing from the wing allows angles, cuts etc...that is what Kipper can get better at.

Deleted member 746094

D

So it took you a few decades to figure out that you have to be good at the fundamentals of basketball to be competitive at basketball?

Your last comment about “counting on players improving a great deal, usually doesn’t happen”. This is ridiculous. A lot of college players make tremendous strides and get better over the course of 3 to 4 years. This is why coaches exist. If it was all about coaching everyone at their full potential Duke, KU and UK would never lose as they always have the best freshman talent. Players definitely can and do improve with hard work and the proper instruction. I will say that they have to have natural ability, but even the average athlete can get better to the degree they impact a team’s performance.

I don’t think BU, staff and the players are “hoping for the best”. They are going out and getting players to fill needs and the current players are working to improve on the areas they need to improve to make this team a tourney team next year.

Isn't this grammatically incorrect since Kofi is rated higher than Ayo? I think you're analogy would be - Kofi is our highest rated recruit since Jereme Richmond (whevever that was)
I'm pretty sure the grammar is fine? Anyway, 247 composite is what I was looking at. Ayo #32, Kofi #33.

ILL in IA

Iowa City
I think we end up with 4 available schollies. As we know Jordan and Delarosa is gone. I see higgs and Kipper being gone as well. January wont make it so that leaves Kofi plus 3 more. Just my opinion.
Wouldnt that then be 5 openings? We have an open spot now that caries over.

whatahack

St. Peters MO
Don’t forget about chemistry, that takes time

Most of our players hadn’t played together before this year

No one commented on this and I was wondering what our panel thought about it.
Given that I am a dumbass, I think that is especially a factor in basketball. If so, we should get better as the year goes on.

GB Kane, and Higgs are all big enough to hold down the 5/4 with help from guys like Jones. We're actually not looking bad on the boards right now and with all these guys getting another year we should be much better.

There's only one reason (outside of serious injuries) not to make the tournament next year. That would be poor coaching.

No problem with questioning the coaching right now, but to suggest that there is so much talent here that this team should definitely make the tournament next year is not fair. This roster still needs a major influx of talent and athleticism. I believe Underwood is a great coach. I believe his recruiting this far has not been good. If/when he gets the talent here they will win.

Status
Not open for further replies.