Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (January 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.

UofIChE06

Pittsburgh
Idk, I think that Oscar T has the edge in the athleticism department and he may be a better defensive shot blocker but sheer size, skill I give to Kofi. Kofi also has a better than average mid game.

Not quite the same but some similarities to Cliff Alexander/Jahlil Okafor. That should have taught everyone to take skills over raw talent. Sure it is a lower ceiling but they won't hit their ceiling until they are in the pros anyway

I think we'll have Kaden Archie news soon, one way or the other. Expect Christian Brown to be coming on a visit asap too.

I think Kaden Archie is coming. I have no proof of this other than I think Saturday’s initial report was correct.

That being said, how does he really fit? He seems to be similar to Mark Smith in that he doesn’t have the speed, shooting, or ball skills to play the 3 at a high level. Yet he is too small to play the 4 effectively. This is why his playing time has been limited at TCU and he wants to transfer.

In other words, he reminds me of Kipper, Tevian Jones, and Anthony Higgs. Three guys who seem to be tweeters between the 3 and 4 spot. (I could be wrong about Higgs as I haven’t seen him play.). We also have Alan Griffith who is 6’ 5” and hasn’t done much at the 3 spot.

Don’t get me wrong, I’ll be thrilled if he chooses the Illini. Archie is a talent and he could become a great player with this team. But it’s going to take time. And right now we have several unproven players at the 3-4 spot. As Archie seems to want immediate playing time, how does he fit???

NBB1979

UIUCFAN1
Springfield, IL
I'm pretty sure the grammar is fine? Anyway, 247 composite is what I was looking at. Ayo #32, Kofi #33.

Gotcha - i was using Roberts post from illiniboard. My fault!

Deleted member 4333

D
After Kofi, anything is gravy. But I'll have to admit that Archie's not doing much for me. Top 100s transferring out in their freshman year for lack of time. Can someone give me some good examples of how this has really played out well? Alternatively, examples of disasters? Alex Legion is the first to come to mind, but perhaps there are others on both sides.

Charles Matthews?

Deleted member 633632

D
I think Kaden Archie is coming. I have no proof of this other than I think Saturday’s initial report was correct.

That being said, how does he really fit? He seems to be similar to Mark Smith in that he doesn’t have the speed, shooting, or ball skills to play the 3 at a high level. Yet he is too small to play the 4 effectively. This is why his playing time has been limited at TCU and he wants to transfer.

In other words, he reminds me of Kipper, Tevian Jones, and Anthony Higgs. Three guys who seem to be tweeters between the 3 and 4 spot. (I could be wrong about Higgs as I haven’t seen him play.). We also have Alan Griffith who is 6’ 5” and hasn’t done much at the 3 spot.

Don’t get me wrong, I’ll be thrilled if he chooses the Illini. Archie is a talent and he could become a great player with this team. But it’s going to take time. And right now we have several unproven players at the 3-4 spot. As Archie seems to want immediate playing time, how does he fit???

This was the kind of conversation I was hoping would persist! 🔶🔷

I can think of many reasons. How many players over 6'6" do we have? How many players can consistently make 3 pt shots next year? Who is going to rebound with the lack of height? January is far from a given. Without two of Kane, Kofi, and GB, playing at the same time, rebounding may be a problem. With two of those 3 playing, we won't be pressuring as much, so less steals. I hope for the best too, but the team needs interior defense, it needs to shoot much better, and get rebounds. Counting on players improving a great deal, usually doesn't happen.

I agree that we need at least GB, Kofi, and Samba all eligible for next season. If Higgs and January are unable to play for next season, we need to be legitimately 3 deep at "big" to make a run at the tournament imo.

As for counting on players improving a great deal, too much can be unrealistic, but there may be a reasonable mix where enough players improve 'enough'. Say DaMonte and Tevian all improve somewhat, and Griffin makes a good leap in ball security and poise in hitting open threes. Also, there's what we will lose (AJ and AD). Improvements need to make up for that. In some ways, one could make the case that we're real close. AJ was held scoreless against Northwestern. If he sinks one 3 pointer, we win. If Kipper is halfway to form that he has been previously (scoring 20+ against Mich St.) consistently, maybe a few more W's are on the record. Perhaps a player like Kofi can both open up the court offensively and stem the other team's offensive effort, helping to quell the horrendous second half runs of the other teams and tipping more games in our favor.

While that is yet to play out, the best case is that Kofi, Ayo, Trent and the others can convince a difference maker like Patterson to join.

Fwiw I think Christian Brown is no longer an option. The crystal balls are indicative of dominoes falling behind the scenes.

Last edited:
I agree that we need at least GB, Kofi, and Samba all eligible for next season. If Higgs and January are unable to play for next season, we need to be legitimately 3 deep at "big" to make a run at the tournament imo.

As for counting on players improving a great deal, too much can be unrealistic, but there may be a reasonable mix where enough players improve 'enough'. Say DaMonte and Tevian all improve somewhat, and Griffin makes a good leap in ball security and poise in hitting open threes. Also, there's what we will lose (AJ and AD). Improvements need to make up for that. In some ways, one could make the case that we're real close. AJ was held scoreless against Northwestern. If he sinks one 3 pointer, we win. If Kipper is halfway to form that he has been previously (scoring 20+ against Mich St.) consistently, maybe a few more W's are on the record. Perhaps a player like Kofi can both open up the court offensively and stem the other team's offensive effort, helping to quell the horrendous second half runs of the other teams and tipping more games in our favor.

While that is yet to play out, the best case is that Kofi, Ayo, Trent and the others can convince a difference maker like Patterson to join.

Fwiw I think Christian Brown is no longer an option. The crystal balls are indicative of dominoes falling behind the scenes.
My thoughts exactly in terms of getting a guy like AP, does everything well and makes others better

The Kofi recruitment and being in on Patterson, Brown and others may bring a secondary benefit for in-state recruiting. As we saw from O'Brien's article, the Chicago coaches expect the Illinois coaching staff to bow down to them, and they give Illinois very little in return. With OA and BU recruiting on a national level, and getting talent from elsewhere, it puts the end to the mantra that you have to recruit Chicago to be successful. Assuming that BU can build a winning program with these out of state recruits, this will in turn change the bargaining positions of Illinois vis-a-vis the Chicago high schools. Unless the Chicago coaches provide help and deliver enough results for the effort they expect Illinois to expend, they can expect BU and OA will spend most of their efforts elsewhere.
This is big. If BU can successfully turn this around with mostly out of state/out of Chicago kids that completely flips the script. Winning and national exposure will get these Chicago kids to want Illinois to be their “Kansas” or “Kentucky”

This is big. If BU can successfully turn this around with mostly out of state/out of Chicago kids that completely flips the script. Winning and national exposure will get these Chicago kids to want Illinois to be their “Kansas” or “Kentucky”
“I want kids who want to come here and be apart of something special “ Brad Underwood. #changingtheculture

Gotcha - i was using Roberts post from illiniboard. My fault!
No worries, as far as I'm concerned they are effectively equally rated. I don't know that one service is really superior to the others and they are all so close on those two.

Kofi will certainly make an impact but probably won't see more than 20-25 mpg from him and thinking the difference will come from a freshman wing is not realistic. There has to be significant improvement from the existing players and coaching.

In other words, he reminds me of Kipper, Tevian Jones, and Anthony Higgs. Three guys who seem to be tweeters between the 3 and 4 spot. (I could be wrong about Higgs as I haven’t seen him play.). We also have Alan Griffith who is 6’ 5” and hasn’t done much at the 3 spot. I couldn't agree with you more on KN, TJ and AH about being tweeters, but I believe AG is different. From what I have seen of him, he is a fantastic rebounder at 6'5''.
Thoughts?

Deleted member 746094

D
I am confused about the Archie transfer. Some on here have mentioned him as impacting our team in 2019-2020. UoI starts class on 1/14. I can’t see him getting a waiver of any sort as he is from Texas and sounds like he just isn’t getting playing time. From my view he is going to have to sit next season per the traditional transfer rule. Am I missing something?

ChiefGritty

Chicago, IL
I am confused about the Archie transfer. Some on here have mentioned him as impacting our team in 2019-2020. UoI starts class on 1/14. I can’t see him getting a waiver of any sort as he is from Texas and sounds like he just isn’t getting playing time. From my view he is going to have to sit next season per the traditional transfer rule. Am I missing something?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the relevant question is whether Archie left before the beginning of the second semester at TCU. If he did, then he can enroll here for the second semester (last minute or even a week or so late shouldn't be a problem), sit this second semester, next first semester, and be eligible as soon as first semester grades are posted, which in previous years has usually been right before Mizzou.

TCU's website indicates their semester also begins 1/14, so he should be fine on that end.

Deleted member 645583

D
How's everyone's day?
Great, so far, how's yours?

Note to Illlini: just saw Deron score the 3 to send ILL into OT versus Arizona in 2005. Sidestepped defender, PERFECT shooting form. What a beauty! Maybe this shot should be required viewing for current and future Illini.

Also, we have a big man, Kofi, who can do to others what May did to Illini in that championship game. No disrespect to James Augustine at all.

Last edited by a moderator:

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
I hear whiskey helps ;)

...and thank God for Nyquil nighttime cold meds.

UrmVwy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.