Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (January 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dbell1981

Decatur, IL
And if Kane stays his athleticism will be a nice gear shift to the post game.
Plus he can only get better practing with kofi and mr. January, yeah?
Yeah man I'm hoping Kane stays. He could be a force his junior year. Especially if Kofi only stays 1 year. If Kofi can average 12ppg, 9 boards, and a couple blocks a game I could see him going to the league. NBA ready body already.

Screenshot_20190112-180136_Instagram.jpg

I really like what January brings in addition to Kofi. Having both with the current roster will be a luxury

Not saying BU cannot figure a way to use them both along with Giorgi and Kane, but I have to question what will happen as you cannot play more than one if you want to play his " position-less" offensive style. Of course, the staff can figure out how to do it, but they will have to play a different style of play to max the talents of that makeup. Personally, I would not hesitate to initiate a new offense that features two bigs at the same time. It is pretty easy to learn, but the ball has to go inside on most every possession and for the past decade or two, we have seen little of that. However, it is refreshing to see Giorgi getting the ball... so far... more often than anyone anticipated this year....but still not kicking out for open threes. Of course, his effectiveness with handle and footwork has made that pretty much a moot point, Regardless, this is all also a moot point until all are on campus and enrolled next Fall. Then we will find out if BU and staff are earning their paychecks as the talent to compete with the B1G's best will be on the roster. Regardless, next year should produce as much fan interest as we have seen in over a decade.

Not saying BU cannot figure a way to use them both along with Giorgi and Kane, but I have to question what will happen as you cannot play more than one if you want to play his " position-less" offensive style. Of course, the staff can figure out how to do it, but they will have to play a different style of play to max the talents of that makeup. Personally, I would not hesitate to initiate a new offense that features two bigs at the same time. It is pretty easy to learn, but the ball has to go inside on most every possession and for the past decade or two, we have seen little of that. However, it is refreshing to see Giorgi getting the ball... so far... more often than anyone anticipated this year....but still not kicking out for open threes. Of course, his effectiveness with handle and footwork has made that pretty much a moot point, Regardless, this is all also a moot point until all are on campus and enrolled next Fall. Then we will find out if BU and staff are earning their paychecks as the talent to compete with the B1G's best will be on the roster. Regardless, next year should produce as much fan interest as we have seen in over a decade.
You've heard of the " Twin Towers " we got the Quad Towers. Plus a lot of fouls in the post. Lol

Agreed, also I bet he puts in a lot of 3 pt shooting, off season.
As effective as he is scoring at the rim, he does not need to shoot another three unless and until he can improve his in game % to around 35-40%. Why? Because he can score around 60% of the time next year if he just works on his scoring at the rim. He does shoot his jump hook without arc sometimes and needs a tad bit more work on it with both hands.....but man is he effective. like Deon Thomas...but with a bit better handle and footwork....at scoring around the rim. He sure has been a surprise and fun to watch....and has the kind of game I was hoping to see...except a bit short of talent at the arc. There is a huge difference from being a "can shoot from the arc" player and a dependable shooter from outside the arc. And if you have an effective shot, some kind of feel, and work you tail off...you can become an dependable shooter. Not many are willing....but then for my money he does not need to be. Nevertheless, if he has a desire to play in the NBA, he will have to make that metamorphosis like Brian Cook did.

As effective as he is scoring at the rim, he does not need to shoot another three unless and until he can improve his in game % to around 35-40%. Why? Because he can score around 60% of the time next year if he just works on his scoring at the rim. He does shoot his jump hook without arc sometimes and needs a tad bit more work on it with both hands.....but man is he effective. like Deon Thomas...but with a bit better handle and footwork....at scoring around the rim. He sure has been a surprise and fun to watch....and has the kind of game I was hoping to see...except a bit short of talent at the arc. There is a huge difference from being a "can shoot from the arc" player and a dependable shooter from outside the arc. And if you have an effective shot, some kind of feel, and work you tail off...you can become an dependable shooter. Not many are willing....but then for my money he does not need to be. Nevertheless, if he has a desire to play in the NBA, he will have to make that metamorphosis like Brian Cook did.
I was thinking that with Kofi coming, he would want to work on the stretch 4 pos. and add that also to his toolbox. By no means a main weapon.

Retro62

North Bethesda, Maryland
So, a question...let’s say our team next year consists of:
Front court:
Kofi
January
Samba
Georgi

Backcourt:
Trent
Ayo
Feliz

Tweeners/wings:
TJ
AG
DMW
KN (unless he is still considered front court)

And If Brown is somehow persuaded to join, do you look at that roster and say it outweighs whatever record we end up with this year?

sacraig

The desert
The only way Ayo leaving after one year is good for us is if it gets us Adam Miller or his equivalent.

Well, you know, that and the fact that the staff will have a very concrete and recent example of coaching up a one-and-done. Illinois does not have much NBA success to show in recent years, and losing Ayo to the league, while a blow to our team on the court, would be a certain degree of helpful on the recruiting trail.

UofIChE06

Pittsburgh

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
In no way would Ayo being a first round pick after 1 yr be a bad thing for BU and UofI. Drastically helps pitching other highly talented guys. Sure you would rather have him on the team for the W-L but it is absolutely worth it.

In no way? How about losing a potential All B1G guard? That's one way. How about if it doesn't do a damn thing for recruiting? That's two ways.

To me it's no different than how little our NC runner up team and DW lottery pick helped us. How could we not capitalize on that exposure??

I'm not at all trying to detract from the potential, but don't kid yourselves into thinking this is automatically going to benefit us.

I stand by my assertion...if this paves the way to Adam Miller or similar 5 star PG, it's a win win. If it doesn't, it's a win for Ayo, (which again, I am all for) and a question mark for our program.

Edit: Also...isn't W-L what the program is striving for? Success on the court? So if Ayo leaving gets us to more W's...either with him or getting someone just has highly rated to step right in and get more W's...then it's a great thing. If Ayo leaves and it doesn't result in a recruiting victory....it undoubtedly will lead to fewer W's.

Last edited:
if Ayo leaves it helps our chances w/ Miller in terms of a track record of producing a one-and-done which is what Miller likely be. Kofi may also be a one-and-done. A guy like Christian Brown may end up being a one-and-done. Regardless, if we keep bringing in top 50 kids, it shouldn’t be an issue.

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
if Ayo leaves it helps our chances w/ Miller in terms of a track record of producing a one-and-done which is what Miller likely be. Kofi may also be a one-and-done. A guy like Christian Brown may end up being a one-and-done. Regardless, if we keep bringing in top 50 kids, it shouldn’t be an issue.

Exactamundo! With butts, candy, and nuts!

Hate to be a negative Nancy but looking at teams like UCLA with all this young 4 and 5 star talent it makes you wonder no matter what talent we bring in if Underwood’s system will ever work. I know are schedule has been brutal this season, and our roster is so young but you have to wonder how big a leap some of these guys make next year to even move us within range of the bubble. Adding Kofi is a start, but Underwood needs to change something fast because Kofi can be developed into an absolute beast down low because I know he has so much potential with that frame, or from looking at his highlight tapes never develop any post moves and solely rely on dunks and midrange. I love that he could be Shaq 2.0, but I have also rarely seen a hook shot or off the glass due to his superior size he has not needed to do that.

sacraig

The desert
skyIdub said:
I'm not at all trying to detract from the potential, but don't kid yourselves into thinking this is automatically going to benefit us.

I'll make you a deal: I won't kid myself into thinking it would automatically benefit our team if you don't kid yourself into thinking it will automatically hurt our team. Deal?

Status
Not open for further replies.