Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (February 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
KW needs to just hold off on signing that LOI. Keep all the options on the table for as long as possible.

Top 10 recruits don't need to sign LOIs. No incentive. They've flipped the script by not signing.

I have been hearing some legitimate rumblings that Cal may not even be at UK next year...

RXlT.gif

It's about that time of year.

Deleted member 643761

D
I disagree that this tells us a whole lot. Most prospects jump at the chance to play for UK if Cal really goes and tries to get them, it seems. We would learn a lot more about his psyche if UK successfully recruits over (or slightly under) him and his resulting decision. Again, I don't have any special insight here, but I just don't think it's very telling that a top prospect wants to play at a top program absent any special circumstances.

I'd love to see the phrase "recruit over" banished. Every player at every school knows that his coach is going to continue to try to bring in talent. And they want that. If Christian Brown comes for a recruiting visit, do we need to keep him away from alan Griffin and Tevian Jones because they'll try to torpedo his recruitment to keep the competition out?

Whitney came in on top of a top 3 class loaded with guards. next year another top class will come in. Cal going after another top guy in the current class is no surprise to anyone.

Do you have examples of other top 10 recruits who backed out of a blue blood because of being "recruited over"? I have no doubt it happens, but it's probably not common.

ivwilsoniv

Aurora, IL
I'd love to see the phrase "recruit over" banished. Every player at every school knows that his coach is going to continue to try to bring in talent. And they want that. If Christian Brown comes for a recruiting visit, do we need to keep him away from alan Griffin and Tevian Jones because they'll try to torpedo his recruitment to keep the competition out?

Whitney came in on top of a top 3 class loaded with guards. next year another top class will come in. Cal going after another top guy in the current class is no surprise to anyone.

Do you have examples of other top 10 recruits who backed out of a blue blood because of being "recruited over"? I have no doubt it happens, but it's probably not common.
It fits our narrative! Don’t come in here with your logic.

But in all seriousness, there are two sides to this argument. It’s rare that it happens but it could happen.

sacraig

The desert

Fine, replace it with whatever phrase you find more agreeable, but please try addressing the core point I was trying to make when you do it.

Some players like being one among stars, and others prefer to stand out a little more. You can probably have a totally legitimate debate about which is better for someone's draft stock (I suspect it doesn't matter much), but either way, different players and their influencers will prefer different approaches. There is also probably a breaking point where you cross over from "just enough" to "too much" supporting talent, and where that line rests will differ for any individual player (if it even exists for said player).

So, let's boil my original point down to a few short bullet points with no jargon:
  • Every player is different.
  • Any one of us could probably spin some scenario that plausibly describes what is going at least one player's head when deciding on a school and whether to commit or stay committed.
  • We have no idea which of those plausibly describe Khalil Whitney's consideration of the matter, and few people honestly do.

I am honestly not arguing for or against any one theory of what Whitney will do. I am just trying to point out that there are some plausible explanations for why a generic player in his position might change his mind given the situation and we really can't draw any conclusions about him specifically.

If he left for, say, Los Angeles, then he will still get a raise. What he makes now compared to most NBA coaches is meaningless if he still gets more (and he would).

And think about how much money he would save by not having the responsibility to personally pay his players!!!

SycIllini

Sycamore, Illinois
Caught the last quarter of the CPL championship Sunday night. Pretty entertaining game with Curie pulling it out over Morgan Park 65-60. Adam Miller would certainly look good in orange and blue. Also looks like Weber got a pretty good player in Dajaun Gordon from Curie.

If we land one of our top wing prospects we could have the best lineup in the BIG, and there wouldn’t even be a single senior

If we land one of our top wing prospects we could have the best lineup in the BIG, and there wouldn’t even be a single senior
I don't see any of the prospects (except KW) starting ahead of Alan or Tevian next year. The year of experience is at least the equivalent of a star or two.

Status
Not open for further replies.