Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (February 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
He’s 6’ 4 with long arms and a nice stroke. Maybe he’s a kid that just needs to fill out a little.

Maybe but not what we need in the 2019 class....think frazier, ayo, griffin, jones, kipper maybe?, williams, i mean do we need another 6'3-4 kid. Would love to have Kofi, January, the new kid Olivier? or another instead of this kid. Unless this is just a good pr move and nothing more, then a better light, etc, what others have said. The kid would get a world class education though.

pruman91

Paducah, Ky
Lol just want to make sure that you know I was talking about Oscar T

I'm heavily medicated so there's that........

giphy (1).gif

Here'ssssssssss Johnny

Reeves will not be ready to contribute to a team until he gets a year or two in college to build up.
Love his stroke, but pretty one-dimensional right now.
He knows it, and has been working on it diligently.

He wasn't wrong.
What on Earth did it ever mean? That Groce was a "player"? That games require two teams (the players must face off against other players, and not for example, against the spectators)? I'm picky about how words are used: that saying always befuddled me.

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
What on Earth did it ever mean? That Groce was a "player"? That games require two teams (the players must face off against other players, and not for example, against the spectators)? I'm picky about how words are used: that saying always befuddled me.

I interpret it as the cream rises to the top. Nothing to do with himself (Groce).

I always thought it was just coach bs, kind of like The Sphinx in Mystery Men saying “when you can balance a tack hammer on your head, you can head off your foes with a balanced attack”

They got to say something. Players play players. Ok.

I was confused at first, but it means that he doesn't just randomly choose who plays.....the players decide who plays by being the best option. If you work hard and do what you are supposed to do, then you will get a chance to play....players play players.

Agree with everything, The best players play.

Only a brief trip on the train away from watching Lauri in Chiberia play.

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
Nkamhoua would finnish off the class of 2019 nicely.

Yeah, I think so too. Kinda hard to get a read on a kid in one clip, especially against HS teams, but he looked good. Nice shot, pretty good athleticism. Could be another sleeper. After Giorgi, staff gets the benefit of the doubt. Put him in the mix. I wonder what his actual height is?

ILL in IA

Iowa City
I was confused at first, but it means that he doesn't just randomly choose who plays.....the players decide who plays by being the best option. If you work hard and do what you are supposed to do, then you will get a chance to play....players play players.
I always thought it was fairly obvious this is what he meant. I was more confused that people on here were upset by it or completely missed what he meant.

Last edited:
From Dan's article on the front page about DJ Steward

Illinois has made him a priority trying to keep him in-state.

“It is the hometown. Coach Chin stays in contact. He used to coach at Whitney Young. He tries to get whenever he can. Coach Underwood tries to get up whenever he can. You know they bash him on the internet, but they do a real good job of coming to see me when they can.

From a coworker who grew up in Geneseo, IL, I heard that 2020 6'5" Guard/Wing Isaiah Rivera visited Illinois last weekend and thus watched Illinois play Nebraska. He scored 51 points a week ago vs. Kaneland so take that for what it's worth.

https://illinois.rivals.com/news/2020-guard-isaiah-rivera-recaps-illinois-visit
https://www.kwqc.com/content/sports/Isaiah-Rivera-Scores-51-Points-In-Maple-Leafs-Win-504932301.html

The article is linked from Orange and Blue News is dated 2-22-2018. I missed that. A coworker of mine lives in Geneseo and went to see him play and was impressed. It appears that the Illini staff are obviously cognizant of Rivera. To this point, I don't believe he has received any high major offers. Presently, I have been told that he is committed to Loyola University Chicago.

NBB1979

UIUCFAN1
Springfield, IL

If I’m 3rd on depth chart, but outworking the starter and back up each and every day in practice ... I’ll eventually step into their role ... or they’ll step up and play for their job

Kofi looks completely disinterested in defense.If that doesn't change he'll rarely see the floor.
Maybe if Illinois fans starting tweeting him directly on his need for conditioning and the importance of defense at the college level...............

(i jest, please don't).

Status
Not open for further replies.