Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (February 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Govoner Vaugn Fan

New Orleans
"Myers" Meyers Leonard was a small school stud with insane athleticism that was always more potential than production. Kofi is a different animal. He is closer to Jahlil Okafor than Meyers. I am not saying he is going to average 17 and 8 but he is not coming to come off the bench. It is much more likely that GB progresses his game and plays along side Kofi than Kofi backs up GB.

I think you are right and agree the most likely scenario is having GB and Kofi play together as much a possible. The ideal situation would be for Kofi to dominate his first year, but have one minor area that's needs work so he's not gone after one year. Ayo and Giorgi (and Trent last year) have helped turn my thinking around on freshmen. In the past it was too often a case of looking at our opponents have top preforming freshman and thinking 'Why can't our frosh play like that". Sometimes, perhaps, we had coaches that just didn't like to play freshman. :)

Tevo

Wilmette, IL
Some of you guys are absolutely nuts to me. Do you honestly think a top 40 recruit is going to come in and play behind Samba Kane? Are you kidding me? Or that he won't be ready? I mean, for christ's sake, LOOK AT THIS KID:

I know some of you are going to be like "well he didn't look that good when I watched two of his high school games on ESPNU". The dude has been physically ready for college for like 3 years and plays with a ball dominant PG. There's probably a good chance he'll be here this summer before school starts like most recruits do these days. You cannot teach that kind of athleticism and talent. Please stop over analyzing the situation.

I’ll believe the Kofi hype once I see him out-dribble a chair. That’s my new standard.

I’ll believe the Kofi hype once I see him out-dribble a chair. That’s my new standard.
I agree with "Are you nuts". Do you realize that we have been outrebounded by almost every B1G team and all the other good non-conference teams we have lost to. We outrebounded three teams, ND, NW and IND by 1 rebound. Minn. we outrebounded by 16 in win, but outrebounded by 6 in loss. Even our last three wins we have been outrebounded. Kofi is a beast. If we can find a way to play Kofi and GB together we will start winning road games in the Big Ten and move to upper echilon of the conference. This year everyone in the conference has bigger guys than us. I don't have the stats, but I would venture to say we are at the bottom or near the bottom of the conference in offensive rebounds. I. for one can't wait to see the effect Kofi has, assuming Ayo stays.

Relax - we're ok - its ok to ponder whether or not the 7 footer who is currently on the team can be a really good contributor as well next year. In my posts, its more of me saying I think Samba can really perform well in this system - he has great feet, a nice shot, seems to already know the O and D well and can block shots... Clearly he has to bulk up and be able to withstand bangers (which he may not be able to do). His lack of girth is keeping him off the court.

Lets all agree that having more rather than less talent down low is a nice place to be. We will see how it works out early next year.
I see Samba more as a Jaren Jackson type player. Certainly not anywhere near as skilled but guarding a 4 rather than a banger. I.e glider not banger but an effective shot blocker and rebounder. He is a real test for OA to develop as he seems to have athletic ability as well as size. A very difference piece that will be utilized at some point.

Deleted member 29907

D
I see Samba more as a Jaren Jackson type player. Certainly not anywhere near as skilled but guarding a 4 rather than a banger. I.e glider not banger but an effective shot blocker and rebounder. He is a real test for OA to develop as he seems to have athletic ability as well as size. A very difference piece that will be utilized at some point.
Interesting take - he'd have to be able to defend at the 3pt line to defend a stretch 4... this will be fun to watch OA do his thing.

Deleted member 643761

D
"Myers" Meyers Leonard was a small school stud with insane athleticism that was always more potential than production. Kofi is a different animal. He is closer to Jahlil Okafor than Meyers. I am not saying he is going to average 17 and 8 but he is not coming to come off the bench. It is much more likely that GB progresses his game and plays along side Kofi than Kofi backs up GB.
Interesting you mention Okafor. Some people thought Alexander was better than him. He literally was making preseason all american teams before he flopped in actual play.

Interesting you mention Okafor. Some people thought Alexander was better than him. He literally was making preseason all american teams before he flopped in actual play.
Not with our coaches.

Flight#33

Flight#33
I'm pretty sure us Illinois fans are not an authority on 5* bigs, so all this speculation on Kofi, good or negative is silly. It will be nice to see the Illini being the aggressor down low rather than being dunked on. Illinois is on the rise, it's ok to enjoy it, now let's go get Christian Brown: )

Dan

Admin
5-star 2020 Jalen Suggs of Minnehaha Academy has earned a scholarship from Illinois Head Coach Brad Underwood. @JalenSuggs2020 is a two time state champ and the PG of the #1 team in Class AA
https://twitter.com/RyanJamesMN/

Brad Underwood of Illinois has offered 2021 7-0 center Chet Holmgren of Minnehaha Academy. @ChetHolmgren plays his 17u basketball with Grassroots Sizzle

Illinois Head Coach Brad Underwood has offered a scholarship to 2022 Prince Aligbe. @prince_buckets is from Minnehaha Academy

Andrew Slater (the 247 guy that gave Christian Brown a CB to Pitt or NC State...can’t remember which) changed that prediction to “Undecided” today.

Slater's change from Pitt to undecided probably had to do with the South Carolina in home on Sunday and the South Carolina staff being at Brown's game tomorrow.

You don't have to be too long in the tooth to have seen how many top 40 recruits fizzle from year to year. SK will have a year experience in the system, and I would not be surprised to see him receiving more tick than KC at least for awhile.

Honestly, I'd be shocked if SK starts the year getting PT over Kofi. Kofi will make an immediate impact just by being the lane defender and the rebounder that this team desperately needs.

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
Honestly, I'd be shocked if SK starts the year getting PT over Kofi. Kofi will make an immediate impact just by being the lane defender and the rebounder that this team desperately needs.

Agree, but still plenty of tick available for Kane (assuming Giorgi can be a 4 and Kane is up to the task).

Deleted member 29907

D
Loyalty: All this weightlifting is making our players too bulky and slow.

Also Loyalty: That kid needs to put on weight via greasy cheeseburgers.
Our dietitians have 2 healthy plans at their disposal:
1) The Scarsdale diet,
2) The Tisdale diet.

Status
Not open for further replies.