Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (February 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I recall correctly, Hendrickson polled college coaches in 2013 and the overwhelming majority said they would pick Okafor over Alexander. I think the post you replied to had some revisionist history.

However, the Okafor-Alexander comparison and the Cockburn-Tseibwe comparisons are not analogous. There’s a big difference between Okafor (no. 1 recruit in his class) and Cockburn (high 4 star recruit). With Okafor, the immediate production was much more assured than with Cockburn. Also, Alexander was only about 6’8” and undersized for a center with no outside offensive game (though he did have great athleticism). I believe Tseibwe is 6’10” (I could be mistaken), which is more ideal for a rim protector. I think Tseibwe’s immediate defensive contributions as a rim protector and glass eater are likely to exceed Cockburn’s immediate offensive contributions. I also think it’s easier to integrate Tseibwe into an offense despite his possible skill limitations than it is to integrate Cockburn into a high pressure man to man defense. All this is to say that I dont think the risk with Cockburn is as low as you make it out to be.

Oscar I believe is more like 6'8" and mobile, I don't think other than 24/7 that he has ever been listed at above that...maybe his growth plates are still open?

sacraig

The desert
Oscar I believe is more like 6'8" and mobile, I don't think other than 24/7 that he has ever been listed at above that...maybe his growth plates are still open?

With or without shoes?

Juco kid that many will hear about very soon playing major ball imo is Demarcus Demonia...kid didn't even play till junior year in high school and grew a foot (not left or right) between freshman and senior year.

https://www.times-news.com/sports/l...cle_0caf9fc5-eda4-541a-9b8f-aed9048cf97e.html

Love to watch some of these uber athletic talented Juco guys...many were recruited and "had" to go Juco route, many can flat out, outplay more heralded players in the long run though in some instances.

https://www.jucorecruiting.com/2019-juco-basketball-top-100-rankings

Slow Wednesday, lol, no the ILLINI are not looking at this kid, might not be a bad idea though.

I agree with "Are you nuts". Do you realize that we have been outrebounded by almost every B1G team and all the other good non-conference teams we have lost to. We outrebounded three teams, ND, NW and IND by 1 rebound. Minn. we outrebounded by 16 in win, but outrebounded by 6 in loss. Even our last three wins we have been outrebounded. Kofi is a beast. If we can find a way to play Kofi and GB together we will start winning road games in the Big Ten and move to upper echilon of the conference. This year everyone in the conference has bigger guys than us. I don't have the stats, but I would venture to say we are at the bottom or near the bottom of the conference in offensive rebounds. I. for one can't wait to see the effect Kofi has, assuming Ayo stays.
The rebounding thing may be a bit skewed as Illinois generally shoots more shots than it opponents and at a lesser percentage, so there are more defensive rebounds for the opposition to get. That certainly plays a part in it, but, ultimately, you need great rebounding inside and we don't have great rebounding, but rather adequate rebounding for a team that is typically undersized.

Our dietitians have 2 healthy plans at their disposal:
1) The Scarsdale diet,
2) The Tisdale diet.
1550089285909.png

Then I stand corrected regarding his floor and ceiling.

The Recruit

The Eternal Optimist
Denver, CO
Juco kid that many will hear about very soon playing major ball imo is Demarcus Demonia...kid didn't even play till junior year in high school and grew a foot (not left or right) between freshman and senior year.

https://www.times-news.com/sports/l...cle_0caf9fc5-eda4-541a-9b8f-aed9048cf97e.html

Love to watch some of these uber athletic talented Juco guys...many were recruited and "had" to go Juco route, many can flat out, outplay more heralded players in the long run though in some instances.

Slow Wednesday, lol, no the ILLINI are not looking at this kid, might not be a bad idea though.

They seem to have some similarities in the style of play (backdoor lobs being the most obvious). Count me in as a supporter for considering this kid... because I am that influencial, obviously.

haasi

New York
Right. My point being that the school of fletch acolytes praising him are probably going a bit overboard. A competent strength and conditioning coach will help his guys get stronger, improve quickness/explosivity to some extent, and help keep them healthy in the process. Doing that won’t make him a messiah, nor is it reasonable to treat him as such. The blowback is the result of inflated expectations.

Christian Brown, Kayne Henry, Terrence Shannon, Monsanto in that order if those are all options, and with all things considered NOT just rankings.

Most recent Kayne Henry...last play in video is something else!

I still think Patterson is the best of all the wings in 2020 we are looking at. From what ive heard its almost a sure thing he is going to reclassify though. I don't think this was posted here but here are some of the highlights of a Corey Evans article on Rivals.

Attention towards Patterson has been in short supply, though Illinois and Oregon are the two programs that have remained steady in their pursuit, as USC has begun to pick things up of late, too.

Illinois: “They are cool. They are showing a lot of love so I appreciate that. They are just telling me that I would fit in and that they need a wing scorer and they like to run in transition and score a lot so I would fit in.”

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals...rson-impressed-by-two-potential-to-reclassify

In the SI mock that was posted on the NBA draft page, Kentucky's top three are at 13, 22, and 27. Hardly any guarantees there.

Thought that might be relevant to some of the KW talk that popped up a little while back

Punesguy

Ft. Collins, CO

OH MY GOODNESS! I don't know if he can play defense but that kid has springs for legs! I graduated in 89 and I just had a Kenny Battle flashback. If we aren't pursuing him ... why??? He also looks like he's got a bit of swagger in him which would be a lot of fun to add to our current mix!:shield:

In the SI mock that was posted on the NBA draft page, Kentucky's top three are at 13, 22, and 27. Hardly any guarantees there.

Thought that might be relevant to some of the KW talk that popped up a little while back

K. Johnson will almost certainly go. He's most likely a guaranteed lottery pick. I think our only hope at Whitney is if Calipari leaves for LA.

Would any of the stats guys that have knowledge of the guys that we had legitimate chance at landing provide stats on how these guys have performed over the last couple years?

Status
Not open for further replies.