Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (February 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
“He’s playing in one of the best conferences in America. I have tremendous respect for Coach Underwood and how he holds his guys accountable,” Adrian Griffin said. “I respect coaching so much, and I see what he’s doing for these young men. Turning boys into men is not easy. Nowadays, with social media and everything else and all the distractions, there’s a lot of voices out there. But you can’t skip the steps. And I see improvement from Game 1 to where (Alan) is now.”
Truly instrumental statement from a father with NBA ties and a younger son who is also very talented.

I agree. In his brief glimpses of PT, Samba has shown well. He runs the floor, defends, blocks shots. I’d like to see more.
t
You would like to see more at this point in the season? Games are too close and we can afford to play him when we clearly have better options. I hope he improves in practice and over the off season. If we get a big blow out lead in a B10 game which is doubtful then I'm all for giving him a few minutes if they are earned.

Last edited:
Earlier I was leaning towards having another year with Ayo. Lately, my perception is, he gawn. He's soooo good in the open court, and lately he's been better at playmaking. I'm sure that's as much the team coming together in it's execution as it is his ability. Not sure if he's a 1 or 2 guard in the NBA, but he's shown improvement in the areas I think he most needed to. Hitting game winning shots doesn't hurt either.

I'm not saying he couldn't move up a ton with another year, and in fact, I think he would. But my best guess is that if he indeed wanted to be a 1-n-done, he'll have that option.

Anyway, it'd be interesting to know what the staff is thinking recruiting-wise. I'm assuming it's on their radar and they have plans for that eventuality, but he's a game-changer that will be missed if we're making a run next year. Anyone on the roster a potential point-forward?
Relax....wouldn’t worry about this to much.

jmwillini

Tolono, IL
Just checking NBA Draft.net's high school senior rankings and Cockburn and January are 1 & 4 at 290 and 250 lbs. Didn't there use to be a poster wNting bangers here or was that scout? I think those are some bangers.

Last edited:
The word going around is Higgs will most likely not be here next year. But that list is missing Samba Kane

We have a scholly to fill, 2 if Ayo goes, 3 if someone else transfers. Kinda late for all those to get filled, but given after the turnover through the first year of the coaching change, I suppose nothing would surprise me. My mind is still a bit in the old paradigm and cycle of recruiting --not quite used to the late additions and movement yet.

Wasn't there some talk in about Kyree Walker potentially reclassifying and us being an option via January connection? Also any reliable place to find stats/recaps from January/Kofi games?

Deleted member 746317

D
Truly instrumental statement from a father with NBA ties and a younger son who is also very talented.

I really liked the Derek Piper piece that Dan posted. I liked it for the comments made by Giorgi and Trent. As others have said, the quote below from AG’s dad is great too – hope we manage to put this quote (from an NBA coach and dad) in front of a great many recruiting targets and their families.

1550346072294.png

I also liked this comment by AG’s dad about BU getting his players to play hard:

1550346119058.png

I think AG’s dad was saying not only that the ability to play hard is a mental “skill” for players to develop, but also that helping players acquire the ability to play hard consistently should be considered a coaching skill.

I tend to think BU’s personal intensity and engagement with players during games (somewhat controversial on this board) is part of how BU pushes players to maintain intensity and focus (play hard) for every moment they are on the floor. We have to speculate from a distance as to whether BU is a “good coach” – with many questioning whether he is too angry, too emotional, too public or too whatever – but I think the evidence is accumulating that BU’s game-time emotion and in-game engagement with players is a net positive at this point.

pruman91

Paducah, Ky
Just checking NBA Draft.net's high school senior rankings and Cockburn and January are 1 & 4 at 290 and 250 lbs. Didn't there use to be a poster wNting bangers here or was that scout? I think those are some bangers.

that was nutt on scout......those were the days.......

pruman91

Paducah, Ky
download (7).jpg

" coach, you sure did a good job of breaking the colts down, . "

8b61f6275544ff413b9eaa79fe7120f6.gif

THE ORANGE INFERNO WILL WIN MONDAY VS. wisky

Illini 66
wisky 63

Last edited:
Does anyone have any information on our ghost of a commit, January? Weird we don't hear much about his status, what is going on with a " season, if any " are we having him in for a OV? Can he qualify? etc.
I saw on 247 that January has shot all the way up to 91 from 165 previously in the 2019 class. That’s a pretty substantial jump in the rankings.

Status
Not open for further replies.