Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (April 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you only want to hear information that is 100% accurate and guaranteed to happen, read the sports page and not a message board.

You are reading a free message board. It is on you to use your critical thinking skills to determine how much stock you want to put in what you read. Don't get mad at other posters because either you wrongly put too much stock into their word or because they accurately reported on potential scenarios that did not end up happening. It is up to you to decide who is credible and it is up to you to realize the difference between reports of things that potentially could happen and reports of things that are definitely going to happen. We are trading accuracy of information for early access to information here.

Deleted member 4333

D
If you only want to hear information that is 100% accurate and guaranteed to happen, read the sports page and not a message board.

You are reading a free message board. It is on you to use your critical thinking skills to determine how much stock you want to put in what you read. Don't get mad at other posters because either you wrongly put too much stock into their word or because they accurately reported on potential scenarios that did not end up happening. It is up to you to decide who is credible and it is up to you to realize the difference between reports of things that potentially could happen and reports of things that are definitely going to happen. We are trading accuracy of information for early access to information here.

I read this board for entertainment purposes only. And, at times, it is very entertaining and often informative. As for those who occasionally post information that turns out be incorrect, so what? I hold no grudges or want to see anyone run off. Keep calm and carry on. Go Illini!

Flight#33

Flight#33
Puns not withstanding, if everything on this board had to be 100 % accurate we would see about 3% of all the posts

Screen Shot 2019-04-13 at 7.04.26 PM.png

Don't think this means anything, but this is from Giorgi's Instagram.

I have said for a long time, that the ILLINI need to find some European talent like Gonzaga and exploit the diversity of the campus...even if it is happening by pure accident and coincident, so be it. I like it Kofi, Giorgi, Olivier, and Samba and Kouma...I like the fact the base is being built outside the state. It will only help later with getting the premium talent to stay with us after the wins start coming.

Olivier I believe will choose us, he is the big athletic wing we need. With Tevian and him and Griffin, I think we would do well.

ILLINIShox24

Orange Krush '04 & '05
Always nice to see the only adjective describing our recruit is "overmatched" ......ugh

Still have faith that our staff will turn him into a 4 year beast. Fingers crossed.

I think Kofi will be fine once he gets into a collegiate strength and conditioning program, emphasis on the conditioning. At 300 lbs, even above average athleticism takes a hit.

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
I think Kofi will be fine once he gets into a collegiate strength and conditioning program, emphasis on the conditioning. At 300 lbs, even above average athleticism takes a hit.

Oooooh, excellent generic collegiate strength and conditioning reference!! Fletch who dat?

Think Kofi is being underrated by some. Doubt he stays four years. He is already light years ahead of "project" recruits. He can already do things in the power game that not many players can do. The only thing he really needs to improve to get in game shape is his conditioning. While definitely not the same player as J Okafor, I could see some similarities possible his freshman year re conditioning. It seemed like Okafor had to be pulled out a lot during the NCAA tournament as he got winded.

ChiefGritty

Chicago, IL
Think Kofi is being underrated by some. Doubt he stays four years. He is already light years ahead of "project" recruits. He can already do things in the power game that not many players can do. The only thing he really needs to improve to get in game shape is his conditioning. While definitely not the same player as J Okafor, I could see some similarities possible his freshman year re conditioning. It seemed like Okafor had to be pulled out a lot during the NCAA tournament as he got winded.

I think there's a lot of truth in what you say, but that type of player isn't really the NBA's cup of tea these days.

Jahlil Okafor would be a late first rounder if he had the same freshman year today.

But this is good news! We want as much Kofi Cockburn as we can get.

One game with rundown, but Kofi is mentioned. Read into what you will, https://uproxx.com/dimemag/nike-hoop-summit-breakdown-cole-anthony-nico-mannion/4/

For those of you that watched the game would know that this guys evaluation of Kofi is far from the truth. Kofi definitely did not looked overmatched and he guarded Wiseman for much of the game. Wiseman was never able to get good post position against Kofi. Kofi pushed him out of the paint every time. Physically Kofi is Big Ten ready. He's great at boxing out and a pretty solid rebounder, which is what the team needs. We won't be pushed around in the paint next season with Kofi in there that's for sure. That being said, his conditioning needs to get better and he needs to work on his post moves.

Cole Anthony and Nico Mannion were the 2 players that stood out. Nobody else was overly impressive.

For those of you that watched the game would know that this guys evaluation of Kofi is far from the truth. Kofi definitely did not looked overmatched and he guarded Wiseman for much of the game. Wiseman was never able to get good post position against Kofi. Kofi pushed him out of the paint every time. Physically Kofi is Big Ten ready. He's great at boxing out and a pretty solid rebounder, which is what the team needs. We won't be pushed around in the paint next season with Kofi in there that's for sure. That being said, his conditioning needs to get better and he needs to work on his post moves.

Cole Anthony and Nico Mannion were the 2 players that stood out. Nobody else was overly impressive.
I agree with this. More importantly, in the context of comparing any player to the top ranked player in a recruiting class, it's difficult to imagine NOT being "overmatched". Your point is correct, Kofi was not overmatched in any sense other than Wiseman being a superior player....old news.

Think we have a couple of guys, OA and Fletch, that can get these issues polished up by beginning of next season.

Remember, the data we have here on this board is inconclusive that Fletch does anything that is really a net positive for the players in this regard. Every year we see the pictures of physical development and get hyped only to have players with seemingly tired legs at the end of the season.

I kid, I kid. Giorgi developed well so the OA/Fletch combo must be pretty good.

BananaShampoo

Captain 'Paign
Phoenix, AZ
Any recap of how Olivier's visit went this weekend? It's seemed eerily quiet on that front.

Always ni

Always nice to see the only adjective describing our recruit is "overmatched" ......ugh

Still have faith that our staff will turn him into a 4 year beast. Fingers crossed.

Hey! You forgot "pretty" as in "fairly" in that quote! "pretty overmatched." This board needs all they can get :)

Last edited:

illiniCA

DC Area
Remember, the data we have here on this board is inconclusive that Fletch does anything that is really a net positive for the players in this regard. Every year we see the pictures of physical development and get hyped only to have players with seemingly tired legs at the end of the season.

I kid, I kid. Giorgi developed well so the OA/Fletch combo must be pretty good.

When OA was hired I had no idea he was such a good coach. After watching LB and Giorgi develop I am incredibly impressed.

Status
Not open for further replies.