Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (May 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
#1,001      
Piper "...mentioned a Rivals article about which recruits Howard should prioritize."

He's referring to a Rivals article. Piper is 247 and just relaying what the Rivals article says.

My bad.

Apparently Miller played with Jace Howard, the coaches son this past summer with the Fire. Imho a flimsy reason. IL ties I think are more firmer/better.

#1,002      
My bad.

Apparently Miller played with Jace Howard, the coaches son this past summer with the Fire. Imho a flimsy reason. IL ties I think are more firmer/better.
We know that but he also played with ayo and d will and his ties is better in Illinois that why Brad Underwood trying to form a relationship with Mac Irvin fire. Mac Irvin fire only take the best that want to get better

#1,004      

Deleted member 643761

D
I imagine all of these recruiting projections depend on the team making the tourney this year, and Ayo going pro.

I really hope this team gels. Seems like this may be a make or break year for this staff unless they hire someone like Lovie did with the Trinity coach.
Actually no. Most people expect Miller to sign prior to this upcoming season.

#1,005      

Deleted member 643761

D
My bad.

Reason? It doesn't really exist in recruiting.

#1,006      
Ayo being projected top 10 pick probably has the biggest sway our way. Add the style of play and connections and it starts to look good. Ayo apparantly is physically further off already. I expect him to really dominate next year against most competition.

#1,008      
One thing I thought about is how could the proposed 3pt line being moved back 16 or so inches could influence our recruiting and illinois basketball? We will certainly need to add more shooter but slashers and an inside game could be even more vital to us shooting a good percentage and winning games.
I hope it happens. I think it would be good for basketball. I would love to see the mid range game become more a part of college basketball again. I really enjoyed watching Malcolm Hill play. I would love to add a player of two with his skill set to our Illini. It would be a major advantage if thie line is pushed back imo.

Last edited:
#1,009      
Their used to be people who bad-mouthed MIF for their methods.

Fortunately, reality set in.

#1,012      
Chin Coleman says hello

Not doubting he’s connected, and has had an influence on the MIF recruits, etc, but that’s every coach who’s hired to recruit. I’m not even implying he’s doing a poor job.

My comment was meaning actually hiring an Irvin, or the LaLumiere coach (who I think has moved on), Smith, etc who then bring with them a few of their top recruits. It’s not an uncommon move.

#1,013      
One thing I thought about is how could the proposed 3pt line being moved back 16 or so inches could influence our recruiting and illinois basketball? We will certainly need to add more shooter but slashers and an inside game could be even more vital to us shooting a good percentage and winning games.
I hope it happens. I think it would be good for basketball. I would love to see the mid range game become more a part of college basketball again. I really enjoyed watching Malcolm Hill play. I would love to add a player of two with his skill set to our Illini. It would be a major advantage if thie line is pushed back imo.
I agree, especially since our 3 point shooters have no problem taking shots from deep behind the line as it is. I imagine this rule will have bigger impact on Weber. Does he have his whole team step back and stand behind the new line?

#1,014      
My comment was meaning actually hiring an Irvin, or the LaLumiere coach (who I think has moved on), Smith, etc who then bring with them a few of their top recruits. It’s not an uncommon move.

Worked out real well for Cuonzo with the Porters at Mizzou...

Pretty big risk if you only wind up getting a few kids. Mobley at USC is a great example of a hire that is going to pan out.

#1,015      
Worked out real well for Cuonzo with the Porters at Mizzou...

Pretty big risk if you only wind up getting a few kids. Mobley at USC is a great example of a hire that is going to pan out.

I think the unwritten rule is that you get the job for your connections, but you only keep it if you're still useful.

#1,016      

jmilt7

Waukegan
giphy.gif

#1,020      

Deleted member 554798

D
Yes, bottom feeder team can't land a transfer over the national runner up who made it there with transfers. Terrible look.
So it’s a good look we offered how many recruits and have landed one? Look around the landscape. There are even bottom feeders getting transfers.

#1,022      

Deleted member 554798

D
Who's saying it's a good look?
Am I misunderstanding what sacraig said? I don’t expect to get transfers too show up at the doorstep like Tech. But I expect by now this coaching staff could have landed one guy

#1,023      

sacraig

The desert
Am I misunderstanding what sacraig said? I don’t expect to get transfers too show up at the doorstep like Tech. But I expect by now this coaching staff could have landed one guy

Cockburn. Kouma. That's two guys. Sure, we'd like it to be more and include a wing and/or shooter, but we aren't exactly sitting here empty-handed, contrary to the popular narrative.

#1,024      

Deleted member 554798

D
Cockburn. Kouma. That's two guys. Sure, we'd like it to be more and include a wing and/or shooter, but we aren't exactly sitting here empty-handed, contrary to the popular narrative.
Didn’t realize those two guys were transfers

#1,025      

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™

Abject failure, beside those two. :)

We're way below the Mendoza line (for recruiting). Yeah, it's concerning. Hopefully, this is something we'll chuckle about very soon, but it's no bueno for now. Staff has an opportunity to flip the script with Patterson. Not holding my breath though.

Status
Not open for further replies.