Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (May 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sacraig

The desert
In between all the nonsense yesterday this paraphrase of a post caught my eye and made me wonder a little...

"Don't know much about Holyfield's game and I see he's not ranked on the 24/7 transfer page. However, with TT and Kansas being his other finalist he must have skills."

Not attacking anyone, because this mindset seems to be common among at least a few posters, but at what point do we start assuming that the Illinois staff knows what to look for in an athlete and can identify talent? Why is it that an athlete must have offers from blue bloods or other high level programs in order for us to believe that he has skills?

Probably as soon as the current staff has demonstrated the ability to recruit players who turn out to reliably be good college players and translate that into wins. I'd say they are well on their way, given how Bezhanishvili has turned out as an unheralded prospect, but there really needs to be a trend.

The trend comment goes both ways. Some players, especially bigs, aren't going to pan out, particularly when they were essentially nobodies when signed. What you'd like to see is that, of the lower-ranked players a staff lands, more of them pan out than not. When that happens, I'd say it's a sign of good evaluation skills.

sacraig

The desert
Mark Smith

Who turned out to be a pretty good player for Mizzou but not someone who wanted to earn minutes in Underwood's program.

If you judge a player based only on their freshman performance, almost all will like like rubbish.

Deleted member 633632

D
It was just a group of posters who mistook a joke about the accuracy of predictions as actual news and overreacted... repeatedly. We are making fun of that situation.

Okay well in that case, please excuse my ill-tempered comment lol.

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
Okay well in that case, please excuse my ill-tempered comment lol.

giphy.gif

I hope my prediction about a surprise recruit comes true!

Deleted member 236589

D
In between all the nonsense yesterday this paraphrase of a post caught my eye and made me wonder a little...

"Don't know much about Holyfield's game and I see he's not ranked on the 24/7 transfer page. However, with TT and Kansas being his other finalist he must have skills."

Not attacking anyone, because this mindset seems to be common among at least a few posters, but at what point do we start assuming that the Illinois staff knows what to look for in an athlete and can identify talent? Why is it that an athlete must have offers from blue bloods or other high level programs in order for us to believe that he has skills?
I would think the general sentiment would be because blue bloods are blue bloods due to the fact that they recruit the most highly decorated players, they land the most highly decorated players and they ultimately win the most conference championships and go to the most Final Fours with said players. If you're a blue blood program, you don't need to take a flyer on a kid ranked below 200. I'm not saying it's right or wrong, but it's common sense why some people would have that those beliefs.

If you have a team of players coming out of High School ranked where Giorgi was....you're more than likely Fairleigh Dickinson and Giorgi would be transferring after his Freshman year. Can't sustain success by only signing what's left in May and searching for diamonds in the rough year over year. I think that's a fair statement to make.

ivwilsoniv

Aurora, IL
Where are you getting this info that Addison Peterson is reclassifying to 2019?
Do you have a link?
I think it’s funny that you quoted a post that correctly named him Addison Patterson and then wrote Peterson. Maybe thinking Adrian Peterson who still has a year of college football eligibility left? 😀

Deleted member 633632

D
Oh here we go again! Leave that in April please!! 🤷‍♂️🤣

Yeah...that is a pretty Groce take on things.

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
If Patterson reclassifies and commits (to us), that would be a huge coup. Would need to recalibrate our recruiting expectations. I know we've been recruiting him hard for awhile, just thought the reclassification chances were low, as we hadn't heard anything about it recently. Is Underwood leading that recruitment?

Deleted member 8632

D
Clownzo extended an offer to Adam Miller this evening.

Status
Not open for further replies.