Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (May 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys don't throw shade at Penny. If FBI investigation has taught us anything is that IMHO those that are reimbursed are done at a low price. Especially what many would earn in the NBA.

My understanding is Penny is well connected in the AAU and high school ranks. Also former top tier NBA star and very well liked in Memphis. I think the players will be taken care like they are at top 50 programs. But I wouldn't jump to conclusions.

Guys don't throw shade at Penny. If FBI investigation has taught us anything is that IMHO those that are reimbursed are done at a low price. Especially what many would earn in the NBA.

My understanding is Penny is well connected in the AAU and high school ranks. Also former top tier NBA star and very well liked in Memphis. I think the players will be taken care like they are at top 50 programs. But I wouldn't jump to conclusions.

How good of a coach is he?

jmilt7

Waukegan

What I was going to say. Seems as if these NBA players come in and most of the time don't do very well as coaches. They can recruit, at least for a while, because of their name recognition but as far as actually getting a team to the final four or even just winning their conference, it's another story. And they might do well the first year but after that, eh. But I don't have any objective data to support my gross generalization so take it with a grain of salt.

Remains to be seen. He's really only coached AAU, which is not exactly the best barometer of coaching talent. He has seemed to really connect with the kids on his teams, which can be an important trait. He'll be one of the more interesting hires to watch. He also has to show that he can recruit kids he wasn't directly connected to before.

Didn’t realize how connected Penny was till he hit the big stage.
Having seen 2 of his recruits, both from Memphis, compete at the Bass Pro T of C, I will say this....he has some players. The 7 footer ranked #1 is the quickest jumper for his size I have ever seen....in the ilk of Battle and Anderson. His teammate at 6’ 8” is also skilled. With just avg. guard play, the Tigers should be able to at least compete with anyone.

S
What I was going to say. Seems as if these NBA players come in and most of the time don't do very well as coaches. They can recruit, at least for a while, because of their name recognition but as far as actually getting a team to the final four or even just winning their conference, it's another story. And they might do well the first year but after that, eh. But I don't have any objective data to support my gross generalization so take it with a grain of salt.
It looks to me like Penny has a little “Cuonzo” in him. He will do anything to land a recruit . We’ll see how long it lasts. JMHO.

Deleted member 554798

D
Kind of worrisome that we still have three unsigned scholarships open and watching what feels like every school in America sign transfers already. Should we have our hand steady on the Panic Button or Nah?

I wouldn’t panic just yet. I think BU knows what he’s doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.