Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (June 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Illwinsagain

Cary, IL
We're flippin' the bird to Chicago?

What exactly would you have done if confronted with the binary choice of Ayo or THT?
Honestly, I would not have brought THT in for the official, after Ayo announced. Assuming that we knew it was a binary choice. However, I wasn't there and don't know anything.

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
Honestly, I would not have brought THT in for the official, after Ayo announced. Assuming that we knew it was a binary choice. However, I wasn't there and don't know anything.

Here's the thing: staff didn't know it was a binary choice, a priori. Ironically, THT's recruitment is Underwood's high water mark WRT recruiting, thus far.

Last edited:

Deleted member 643761

D
Here's the thing: staff didn't know it was a binary choice, a priori. Ironically, THT's recruitment is Underwood's high water mark thus far.
I wouldn't put it that way.

But it does demonstrate that he's got the ability to connect.

Maybe,....staff has bigger fish to fry! (Rubs hands together with an evil chortle)

Deleted member 643761

D
Thanks. I definitely misread something!
no, you didn't misread. You kinda have to look deep to get the info. for hotter recruits, it's not a big deal because there's plenty of activity. for recruitments like this, you have to be careful because it languishes for years.

BTW, I know nothing.
You mean:

1560220240086.png

https://chicago.suntimes.com/2019/6...ll-ayo-dosunmu-fighting-illini-brad-underwood

"This next group Illinois brings in, quite frankly, needs to be the best of the four recruiting classes this staff will have brought in so far. No pressure there. But there are 10 months to do it"

A little wordy which he acknowledged and not sure we had to go that deep into the history of Meyers Leonard but all in all pretty spot on without taking any cheap shots. Kinda refreshing from a Chicago newspaper.

sacraig

The desert
https://chicago.suntimes.com/2019/6...ll-ayo-dosunmu-fighting-illini-brad-underwood

"This next group Illinois brings in, quite frankly, needs to be the best of the four recruiting classes this staff will have brought in so far. No pressure there. But there are 10 months to do it"

Eh, I don't really see this as being very accurate. I think the next 10 months may be critical for Brad Underwood's success at Illinois, but that is as far as I am willing to meet him. In my opinion, as long as the University of Illinois exists in a basketball-crazy part of the country and is located within easy driving distance of several major metropolitan areas, then it will always be at most the right coach away from being a consistently good program. We've just done a very poor job at that last part lately.

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
Eh, I don't really see this as being very accurate. I think the next 10 months may be critical for Brad Underwood's success at Illinois, but that is as far as I am willing to meet him. In my opinion, as long as the University of Illinois exists in a basketball-crazy part of the country and is located within easy driving distance of several major metropolitan areas, then it will always be at most the right coach away from being a consistently good program. We've just done a very poor job at that last part lately.

This. We've sucked a lot since we were last good, but the program is resurrect-able.

Status
Not open for further replies.