Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (July 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nike EYBL Defensive Player of the Year: Ryan Kalkbrenner

Irvin was asked to explain Kalkbrenner as a player, and he proceeded to give a glowing review.

"First of all, he's 7-foot and mobile," Irvin explained. "He can guard a pick and roll, he blocks shots, and he can guard all five positions. He's a very smart defender."

One of the most noticeable parts of Kalkbrenner's game?

"He never gets in foul trouble," said Irvin.

That notion is backed up by Kalkbrenner's 1.6 personal fouls per game. This has allowed him to constantly be on the floor for the Fire, and their defense has proven to be amongst the league's best when he's manning the backline.

https://www.d1circuit.com/news_article/show/1031811

Do we even need/want a rim protector?

Assuming Kofi leaves after next year, Kalkbrenner would fit in very nicely. BU’s D would be amazing with him near the basket.

Does a wild bear crap in the woods?

Just yankin your chain. I have no idea. But I’m sure it’s never bad to have several tall trees on your team just in case one or two don’t work out.

maxresdefault.jpg

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
If Giorgi shows he can shoot from outside this year he also could be a short timer.

Certainly not going to put it past him. He has good form. I'd be more surprised if his outside shot doesn't markedly improve this season.

whatahack

St. Peters MO
Really hope we are in the lead for Kalkbrenner. Sounds like an intriguing post player. Can never have enough guys to protect the paint.

I know SLU and mizzery are hard after him. But isn't he the one whose parents are Illini fans??

We want anyone who can play defense.

He reminds me of Bo Ryan recruits. Needs time to develop physically, not explosive, but has a lot of fundamentals that will fit well in an offense that requires fast reads, good motor, and good discipline.

If Giorgi shows he can shoot from outside this year he also could be a short timer.

I'm a big Giorgi fan and would love nothing else but to see him be successful at the NBA level, but this is a bit of a stretch IMO. He is an elite teammate, personality, and work ethic. There probably isn't a better "glue" guy that Giorgi. Not shy, funny, and overall wants what's best for the program. He's a fan's dream and a great story.

However, as an NBA prospect, it's tough to see it. 6'9" let's say a true 240-250lbs when he leaves. His game will have evolved to where he will have a good all around game. Stat sheet will say: 20 points, 6 rebounds, and 3 assists per game by his senior year. Can score with a soft right or left hand and can shoot the 3 at a 31% clip. Not great, but keeps defenses honest. Is mobile, but not an elite athlete and doesn't play above the rim. That to me reads like a professional athlete abroad in Europe, Australia or China. Think about the position he would have to guard. He's a 3 in the NBA. Zion, Draymond, KD, maybe even a Bobby Portis...who is even taller and bigger that Giorgi. Just look at Tyler Hansbrough...Amazing college player with much the same game if not greater than GB and he had a tough time in the NBA.

I really hope I eat crow on this one, but I'm not sure your enthusiasm is founded.

I'm a big Giorgi fan and would love nothing else but to see him be successful at the NBA level, but this is a bit of a stretch IMO. He is an elite teammate, personality, and work ethic. There probably isn't a better "glue" guy that Giorgi. Not shy, funny, and overall wants what's best for the program. He's a fan's dream and a great story.

However, as an NBA prospect, it's tough to see it. 6'9" let's say a true 240-250lbs when he leaves. His game will have evolved to where he will have a good all around game. Stat sheet will say: 20 points, 6 rebounds, and 3 assists per game by his senior year. Can score with a soft right or left hand and can shoot the 3 at a 31% clip. Not great, but keeps defenses honest. Is mobile, but not an elite athlete and doesn't play above the rim. That to me reads like a professional athlete abroad in Europe, Australia or China. Think about the position he would have to guard. He's a 3 in the NBA. Zion, Draymond, KD, maybe even a Bobby Portis...who is even taller and bigger that Giorgi. Just look at Tyler Hansbrough...Amazing college player with much the same game if not greater than GB and he had a tough time in the NBA.

I really hope I eat crow on this one, but I'm not sure your enthusiasm is founded.
He has a nba level post right now

foby

Bonnaroo Land
Just look at Tyler Hansbrough...Amazing college player with much the same game if not greater than GB .

I may be just getting old or have a huge Illini bias (or both), but I don't know if I've ever seen footwork quite like Giorgi's. I'm probably just losing my memory though. Lol

You may be right but Tyler drew an NBA paycheck for 7 years.

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™

Giorgi could very easily leave early for a Euro league contract.

Agree that it's a stretch (at this point) to deem him an NBA prospect, much less an early entry candidate.

You all are sleeping on Giorgi. I'm calling it now. He will have a better NBA career than Rui Hachimura. Him being drafted will be to Underwood what Trey Burke was to Beilein with respect to recruiting.

Status
Not open for further replies.